Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default Interesting Map Concept/Dynamic

So I was just messing around with some different ideas to put into a map and I made a model of something that 'might' be interesting. Let me start off by saying that I just took this concept and applied it to the exact map of tbd_hills. This map is not designed to be hosted but rather just so people can see the idea. I am not going to describe it in detail here, if you have enough interest, download the map and open it up in your editor and do a test run to check it out.

Here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z12ji2..._hillsfov.altx

I am going to say this again so there is no confusion: this map was in no way designed to be hosted, so do with it what you want.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

So there's a layer which is a big transparent circle on a black background that seems to travel with your plane, effectively giving you limited vision.

Points for clever mapmaking hacks

Minus points for the necessary ugly border around useful map (could be made less ugly, but still annoying to have half your screen be useless sometimes) and for how I can't imagine this being fun in a game

Minus more points for expecting people to take the time to download and run your map when you're too lazy to explain what it is in your post

edit: Sorry, on reflection this post sounds rather... negative. Really I think it's a cool cute idea and would like to see what else you come up with! It kinda reminds me of Nightlands, my grasslands mod from Lamsbro's Grassland variation contest, which had a translucent dark layer over the entire map (except the moon).

Last edited by Vi*; 04-17-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Border was unavoidable in order to make the idea work. Unless I can make something parallax off the screen in both the positive-x and y directions as well as the negative-x and y directions (which I can't) then it had to be that way. That's why I posted it as an 'idea' instead of on a real map.

Thanks for the feedback and for downloading! Even though you said it was mostly negative, I still appreciate that you still took the time to download it, look at it, and then write about it.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:00 AM

Adapt this idea into a James Bond map, make the hole like the barrel of the gun at the start of every Bond movie. edit: like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sGunbarrel.png

Actually just modify the best map ever with this thing on it.

link to the best map ever made by me