Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 PM

Default Map file specification

Is there a document outlining the format of map files? I'd like to write a map editor but can't find anything regarding the file format.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Any reason you don't want to use the included map editor?

There's no official documentation on the map format but you can figure most stuff out from a little trial and error with the builtin map editor. Open a map then check out the [ALTITUDE_INSTALL_DIR]/editor/maps/_imported_map directory. You'll want to look at the .alte file (XML, can view it in a text editor).
Old 06-08-2010, 12:20 AM

I can't speak for linux or windows, but on the mac the map editor isn't the most user friendly thing to use. For example, the keyboard shortcuts don't use CMD but rather CTRL. The menubar isn't utilized. If you click a menu entry and then try to move the window, the menu doesn't follow; it just floats in space. When I hit the (x) to close the window, it closes the entire program. It's a lot of minor stuff that adds up.

I believe that if Altitude had a easier map editor, it would help non-developer types create truly fun maps.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
Any reason you don't want to use the included map editor?

There's no official documentation on the map format but you can figure most stuff out from a little trial and error with the builtin map editor. Open a map then check out the [ALTITUDE_INSTALL_DIR]/editor/maps/_imported_map directory. You'll want to look at the .alte file (XML, can view it in a text editor).
Hmm, I don't seem to have that directory.

In my maps directory I have altx files and inside maps/cache I have altx files that contain alte files. What's the difference?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Administrator

The _imported_map directory is generated when you open/import an *.altx file using the editor. The maps/cache directories are pretty much the same thing.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
The _imported_map directory is generated when you open/import an *.altx file using the editor. The maps/cache directories are pretty much the same thing.
I meant what is the difference between .altx and their .altx directory counterparts?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Administrator

The *.altx file is just a zipped-up version of the edit/cache directory. It uses LZMA for the compression with a small custom header to describe the expanded file structure.