Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 PM

Default Game will not start (nvidia)

Hello,

I have a problem running this game on a specific computer and I cannot figure out what the problem is.
When I try to start the game, it says I need to update my video drivers, and starts checking for updates.

I'll keep it short and simple:
- I do have the latest (and correct) drivers from the genuine Nvidia site
- I have tried uninstalling/installing the game multiple times, with older/newer drivers and I have also tried installing the debug version of altitude.

The problem remains the same, it keeps checking for new drivers and refers me to the Nvidia site.
Does anyone have a clue on whats left to do?

Attached are the MySystemInfo and Log files.

Thanks for any assistance!
Attached Files
File Type: zip MySystemInfo.zip (11.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Administrator

very strange. are you running a multi monitor setup or anything unusual?

from you sys info your setup looks just like lamster's (the other dev of altitude).
Old 06-12-2010, 12:11 PM

It's just a basic 1 monitor desktop I'm trying to run it on. Really nothing unusual
Other games run fine, so the video card shouldn't be broken or anything.

The last time I installed altitude I used a download link from some other topic with a similiar problem. Maybe that's why the sys info is so similiar?

Also tried running it through VMware with a new installation of windows, exactly the same problem occurs. Keeps asking me for the drivers.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Does this version work? http://nimblygames.com/test/altitude.exe
Old 07-02-2010, 11:50 AM

I'm sorry for responding so late; thanks for replying.

I tried that link, and that also did not work. However a couple of minutes after trying it, the electric feed started making a lot noise and kind of exploded.

The computer has now been fixed. Still would like to get altitude to work on it if anyone has some suggestions or different versions of altitude I could try!

Thanks
Old 07-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
However a couple of minutes after trying it, the electric feed started making a lot noise and kind of exploded.
Quote:
Karl Sabo used to write missile defense software for the US Government. Keep that in mind next time Altitude crashes on you.
But on topic:

Did you try changing resolutions? Your resolution is not set to the max resolution of 1600x1200 that your monitor can handle.

Other things you could try: compatibility mode (windows xp whatever), running it in 256 colors, running it in 640x480. You can find this under the 'compatibiliteit' tab when you go to altitude.exe's properties (eigenschappen)
Old 07-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Administrator

That link has been updated in the last week; have you tried the latest http://nimblygames.com/test/altitude.exe using the latest drivers from http://nvidia.com ? As Boko mentioned your display resolution looks fishy: you can adjust your system resolution (right click desktop -> properties -> 1600x1200) and/or the resolution Altitude tries to use (open C:/Program Files/Altitude/config/options.xml with a text editor, on line 4 try fullscreen="true", fullscreenResolution="800,600", or you can try fullscreen="false", windowedResolution="640,480", etc.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:16 PM

Just tried that latest download and I have the most recent driver updates for my videocard.
Regrettably the same problem still occurs

I have also fiddled with all the settings in the compatibility tab of the .exe
Changing the resolution of altitude in the config file did not have any effect (neither fullscreen nor windowed). My screens resolution actually is 1680x1050 but that can't be the problem because it still won't start when I set it to 800x600 or 1600x1200.
Also getting the same thing when I hooked up a different monitor.

Just a picture that shows the problem and that my drivers are up to date:
http://img267.imageshack.us/i/driverupdate.jpg/

Sorry for being a pain in the ass!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 PM

After giving up on it and not looking back for a couple of months, I happened to find the fix when tinkering around.

I think something was blocking OpenGL from viewing my correct hardware. Which was really strange to me, because lots of other fancier games do work perfectly. When you have this issue, windows generic driver is used which only supports OpenGL 1.1.
To find out whether you have a similiar problem, download OpenGL Extension Viewer. Install it (its really small) and open it up. Look at ''renderer'' on the first tab. If that says GDI Generic, that means you have the same issue as I had. So it sucks that you have this problem, at least now you know what it is and can start working towards a solution.
For me, Asus Enhanced Display Driver was conflicting with my hardware. I just uninstalled it, and now everything works perfectly.

Hopefully some other people can resolve their issue as well with this information. If not, sorry for bumping the old topic!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Thank you for posting the underlying problem and solution! That's a new one for me.