Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:54 AM

Default Kuja on Maps (Remix)

Currently because its the off season there has been several "guinea pig" maps added to the ladder servers by nobodyhome to "test" them out. These maps are bowsers castle, underpark, and scrapyard. Now I don't know for sure but I suspect a lot of people still care about their ratings as for as long as they still change and no new season is announced they are what we have. I don't like having unproven maps on competitive ladder servers. This is a place where emotions run high more often then not and where only tried and tested maps should be used. To top that off it most certainly does not take weeks to tell if a map is good or bad. That will be quickly apparent in the first few games to most experienced players.

Underpark- The layout is original and in my opinion exciting, it supports my style of play. There is however an admitted problem that the map creator has not found a way to fix yet and that is the unexplained choppyness that many players experience on this map, myself included. This map was also, mistakenly I might add, included in the official servers and it should be removed there as well. Once that problem is fixed I really think this could be a strong addition to the ladder map pool, a lot more so then the two maps below anyway.

Bowser's Castle- This was created as a comedy map in the first place just because Mario is baller, I doubt it was ever meant to be used for anything serious. But that aside it suffers from the same unexplained choppyness that Underpark does. In addition its very gimmicky and jammed pack full of **** for aesthetic reasons.

Scrapyard- This map was added with no testing whatsoever, and it has glaring layout problems. Its far too open; explodets are very lack luster here, I myself just go loopy. The layout needs to be reworked.

Maps with no testing should not be included on a competitive server and while its technically the "off season" its still the only competitive avenue people have besides the tournaments/leagues, the difference being the ladder is accessible at any time. Map creators that want testing for their projects should submit their maps to be added to a servers like York's or the APL servers and the creator should just ask people to come play and give opinions on the map, there are more then enough people who'd jump at the chance to tryout a new map.

I'm also going to take this chance to plug the map tbd blackhole, while it does reuse asteroid graphics the layout is very interesting. I think that map should be given more attention. Someone capable should rework the graphics as this map has potential.

Last edited by Kuja900; 06-15-2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 AM

Oh I forgot to clarify this in the title but this thread is specifically about tbd maps.

Last edited by Kuja900; 06-15-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 AM

ball bowsers was dank. scrapyard is interesting.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo View Post
ball bowsers was dank. scrapyard is interesting.
I forget is the name scrapyard or scrapheap? I do not think it needs a total revamp, but instead just a few modifications to the layout.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:29 AM

Scrapyard needs a few of the obstacles moved and it should be okay.

Is now a good time to bring up Justice? >.>
Old 06-15-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
Scrapyard needs a few of the obstacles moved and it should be okay.

Is now a good time to bring up Justice? >.>
Well its not nearly as good as the rest of the pool but its not nearly as awful as the rest of this garbage, however yes I would remove that too. Their are just bigger fish to fry.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Now I don't know for sure but I suspect a lot of people still care about their ratings as for as long as they still change and no new season is announced they are what we have. I don't like having unproven maps on competitive ladder servers. This is a place where emotions run high more often then not and where only tried and tested maps should be used.
Strongly agree. Ladder maps should be official maps. There are plenty of other servers for testing unknown or newer maps.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:13 AM

I like all the new maps, different play styles, new tactics/compositions/skills.

I don't get underpark choppiness have people tried deleting the map from the maps folder and re-downloading?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:25 AM

Underpark is completely unplayable because of that choppyness. I love the map, but it's just impossible to play until the problem gets fixed.

Bowsers castle is fun. Should it be a ladder map? Probably not, especially since you never see it anywhere else.

Scrapyard has a few different versions in the works afaik. I personally think it is a good map that just needs a little tweaking to reduce randanigans.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
I like all the new maps, different play styles, new tactics/compositions/skills.

I don't get underpark choppiness have people tried deleting the map from the maps folder and re-downloading?
i uninstalled the entire game and it didn't go away

--

I also believe that justice is a good map but the background is brutal on the eyes.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:26 AM

Scrapyard does need some editing and I think it can be a good map.
I used to hate bowsercastle, and even asked for it to be removed a while back, i'm starting to get used to it though and even though it may not be the best tbd map,it's really not terrible. and for underpark, I don't know why but I have never experienced any choppiness at all
Old 06-15-2010, 06:26 PM

Well I've never had the choppiness problem with any of these. I can see where it might come from on Underpark, what with the background moving faster than the foreground.

Anyway, Scrapyard is easily my favorite of the new maps. I agree it needs a bit of tweaking, but not really that much, imo. Has anyone PMed Hartz with the changes they'd like to see? I for one would really love to see a slightly modified Scrapyard in the new ladder pool.

Underpark I'm down with too. Maybe just sync the background movement with the foreground? That might clear up some of the glitchyness.

BowsersCastle is awesome . I actually like the way it plays as a map and I wouldn't mind if it stays at all. However, I do agree that ladder emotions run high (despite the fact that we are flying Playdoh planes and shooting nerf rockets at each other), so if it has to go, I guess I wouldn't QQ about it.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 PM

Once my suggested changes are made and the maps are tested in private I would like to see an updated underpark and a reformatted scrapyard on the ladder servers, but **** bowsers that map was intended as a cute joke and now its on a competitive ladder -_-.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Once my suggested changes are made and the maps are tested in private I would like to see an updated underpark and a reformatted scrapyard on the ladder servers, but **** bowsers that map was intended as a cute joke and now its on a competitive ladder -_-.
Although bowser's was originally just supposed to be a "fun" map, it did end up with a pretty good layout. I think most people agree that it plays rather well.

As for Underpark, I don't know why it is choppy for you guys. It plays fine for me, and for what you said Hurripilot, the background doesn't move faster than the foreground. This has been gone over in depth in other posts. However, I made another version of this map where the background and foreground were merged. I sent it to Lamster, but I guess the other version got used instead.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:40 AM

the best way to describe underpark's choppyness is to leave full screen mode on a mac, and click outside the window. watch how slow and stuttered everything moves, and that is what underpark is like
Old 06-16-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
the best way to describe underpark's choppyness is to leave full screen mode on a mac, and click outside the window. watch how slow and stuttered everything moves, and that is what underpark is like
I'm on a PC and having the same problem so it is universal.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 AM

buuuuuuuuuuuuuump
Old 06-17-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
That will happen on all maps. Its done on purpose so altitude doesn't eat up resources when you aren't playing.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:24 AM

I think lix was just trying to explain what the choppiness looks like, not describe circumstances.

I realized right after I posted that Underpark doesn't have the background issues anymore, I guess I was just remembering the old issues it had when it first came out, didn't mean to offend maimer or anyone else.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Currently because its the off season there has been several "guinea pig" maps added to the ladder servers by nobodyhome to "test" them out. These maps are bowsers castle, underpark, and scrapyard. Now I don't know for sure but I suspect a lot of people still care about their ratings as for as long as they still change and no new season is announced they are what we have. I don't like having unproven maps on competitive ladder servers. This is a place where emotions run high more often then not and where only tried and tested maps should be used. To top that off it most certainly does not take weeks to tell if a map is good or bad. That will be quickly apparent in the first few games to most experienced players.

Underpark- The layout is original and in my opinion exciting, it supports my style of play. There is however an admitted problem that the map creator has not found a way to fix yet and that is the unexplained choppyness that many players experience on this map, myself included. This map was also, mistakenly I might add, included in the official servers and it should be removed there as well. Once that problem is fixed I really think this could be a strong addition to the ladder map pool, a lot more so then the two maps below anyway.

Bowser's Castle- This was created as a comedy map in the first place just because Mario is baller, I doubt it was ever meant to be used for anything serious. But that aside it suffers from the same unexplained choppyness that Underpark does. In addition its very gimmicky and jammed pack full of **** for aesthetic reasons.

Scrapyard- This map was added with no testing whatsoever, and it has glaring layout problems. Its far too open; explodets are very lack luster here, I myself just go loopy. The layout needs to be reworked.

Maps with no testing should not be included on a competitive server and while its technically the "off season" its still the only competitive avenue people have besides the tournaments/leagues, the difference being the ladder is accessible at any time. Map creators that want testing for their projects should submit their maps to be added to a servers like York's or the APL servers and the creator should just ask people to come play and give opinions on the map, there are more then enough people who'd jump at the chance to tryout a new map.

I'm also going to take this chance to plug the map tbd blackhole, while it does reuse asteroid graphics the layout is very interesting. I think that map should be given more attention. Someone capable should rework the graphics as this map has potential.
I completely agree here. Ladder is meant for a competitive experience and frankly, when we random one of these 3 maps, everyone hates it. Just simply take them off to better the ladder experience.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:19 AM

Thanks Pieface
Old 06-19-2010, 06:38 AM

also on underpark there is the problem of spawning with the nose of my plane the length of FU's dong away from crashing into a giant rock

is it easily avoidable? sure, but it's annoying as hell
Old 06-19-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poofighter24 View Post
also on underpark there is the problem of spawning with the nose of my plane the length of FU's dong away from crashing into a giant rock

is it easily avoidable? sure, but it's annoying as hell
If that dong comparison were true, you'd likely spawn right on top of the block.

Also, the pebble to rock comparison isn't a fair one. The pebble poses no threat unless you actively move into it's "zone". Now if the pebble hit you as you spawned....... Actually.... *Jots down map notes*
Old 06-19-2010, 03:31 PM

now I know why you were IP banned O.o

Too bad you have no skill to back up any of your talk
<3

P.S. yo duck, wanna join IL?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:29 PM

I agree underpark should be removed because it is a competition and everybody must face same circumstances. The same way (although different topic) i think APL and that sort of competitions should be hosted in diferent continent (1 game home then 1 game away so lag issues were distributed), of course theres more than 2 continents but...
As kuja said ive no idea how to fix map issues. Maimer mentioned the flatening and thats the only solution i can think of although i didnt test it.
As far as im aware, the majority of people have no issues with the map - i have to say the problem is in the machine not in the map itself. But, if Muhammad doesnt go to the mountain...
I agree map spawns need to be fixed.

About how maps can be tested before being put as officcial or in competitions;
It always was a pain for me to get people to test'em. Glad i had Maimer's help.
Im sure that if u (kuja) made 1, it wouldnt be difficult for u to gather good players to test it, but for me it always was a pain. Vets werent better than noobs here, by the contrary. Only with underpark i had succes once, and was able to gather something like 7 or 8 players at the same time. I will ask for ur help next time - im sure ill get it.
Im glad things look to be changing - People are getting more proactive in comments and map helping. There was a time when "We need more maps" was something that realy made me feel anger.

Last edited by Mandrad; 06-19-2010 at 06:34 PM.