Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:12 AM

Default ball_star

Does it seem strange that my first post is a map? I decided to try making a map recently and I came out with this:

Old: http://i29.tinypic.com/b4uxs5.jpg

I tried to do some different things with it (is there any special reason that the spawns are usually in about the same place?), so I don't know how well that worked out. It turns out the bots don't like to go up in the top part where the ball starts so a human has to get it out the first time, but I didn't think that it was a big deal.

I didn't really know what to do with the background (or any of the other graphics for that matter), so it's a boring cloud texture.

Anyway, what do you think? Is it good enough that it's worth it to do anything more with it?

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?cj1himqkwa4d1t2
Old: http://www.mediafire.com/?w5fcvm7l8qy5qgv

Update 1: moved spawns down, bar across the top of spawn area
Update 2: fixed a small problem in the background, made file smaller

Last edited by AnSq; 07-19-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 AM

I like the graphics, actually. Very carnival-esque! I'll need to play it, but it looks like a fun map to play. Nice job so far!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:27 AM
Banned

Spawns near a goal don't work out, they need to be about half way to the middle. This has been tested I believe.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boko View Post
Spawns near a goal don't work out, they need to be about half way to the middle. This has been tested I believe.
Well darn. Do they have to be a the top though?

What are the results of spawns too close? My guess would be long games because when people spawn they can immediately shoot incoming enemies. Or is it something else?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:23 AM

Yeah, spawns near the goal mean easier defense and therefor longer games. I do like the position on the bottom side though, so I think you might have success if you just moved the spawn even lower (climbing up is slower) and putting some object in between the spawn and the goal area (to prevent direct path and direct shooting from the spawn to the goal area). The bottom spawn will probably push the game to the top of the map instead of the bottom as usual as it's easier to attack from the top when enemies spawn in the middle, and I like that idea. I also like variety so this is definitely something that might be a nice new twist to competitive gaming.

Overall I like this map very much as long as the spawn issue is resolved. It's graphically pleasing and it's not too cramped like most new ball map suggestions lately. Once the spawn has been tweaked I'll definitely be hosting this on {arr} server #3 to get players to try it out. Good job!
Old 07-18-2010, 02:27 AM

It seems to me that on a lot of maps most of the game happens at the bottom, and I was trying to make something that would get away from that. I'll move the spawns around and update it when I'm done.

Edit: Done. I also tried something else first, but you could still just fly up into the goal.

Last edited by AnSq; 07-18-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:59 AM

Looks neat. The extensions above spawns might do the trick.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:09 PM

actually the low spawns might work to force action upward, which would be kinda cool
Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 PM

Spawns at the bottom are probably going to slow the game down, because you have to slowly climb up before doing something usefull, but maybe its no big deal. Have to test it out