Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Guides > Beta Guides
FAQ Community Calendar

Beta Guides Beta guides are still works in progress.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:31 PM

Default How To Play Bomber

Introduction

This guide will close that gap between a new bomber player and someone who already knows how to play the plane. The Bomber plane is a very interesting plane most of you already have thoughts or ideas on how you think about this plane when it comes on screen to give you a friendly greeting of loving grenades hurling at great speed to your inevitable doom. It is the most underrated plane to-date in altitude. When the plane comes on the screen you think It's going to spam you with grenades. That is most likely true but not a bad thing. There are many benefits to playing and even playing with bomber players. You are the heart and soul of the team.

Taking Your First Steps

Oh your a fatty, whats new? At first the plane will be awkward for you but not for long. It will be slow with a lot of fire power. It will be a long journey. Are you willing to slug it out till the end? There will be things to consider before getting started.

Firstly, you will want to decide if you will want to play Suppressor or Flak-Tail Gun.
  • Suppressor - This perk is for players who are better with nade killing than they are with the Flak-Tail Gun for its high skill level. I would highly suggest you master this perk if you love the small tail gun. The suppressors small tail-gun does less damage than the Flak-Tail Gun does.
  • Flak Tailgun - This is perk is very good for those players who find are always getting followed by enemy planes and want that extra power to finish or scare away the enemy. Flak gun is a widely used perk and a lot of bombers seem to use because it gives you a strong back gun that in a few fires can kill any enemy. I would highly suggest you master this perk if you are willing to take the time to learn how to aim with tail gun.
  • Dumb Bombs - This perk is never used seriously because grenades are better and losing the tail gun is just to much to give up for such a perk. I would only recommend this perk for fun and not competitive play.
Secondly, you will want to decide if you shall be an offensive or defensive bomber.

The Path Of The Offensive Bomber

Whats Good About Playing Offensive Bomber?
The benefit from playing as a offensive bomber atleast I find a lot more interesting. As a bomber player you must make it your mission to destroy the defensive players that block the goal when your team pushes. You will find yourself wanting/having to clear the planes for your team mates. What else do you think your plane is for. The bomber was designed to be a clearing plane or in some words the "tank" plane for a team. When playing offensively you should also remember you can't just blindly rush out and start flailing your grenades around. Spam with a purpose. Find the planes that will help the ball carrier to move forward but not just the closest plane to you. The soul purpose is to clear the enemy from the goal so that the ball carrier can score. You should watch and quickly focus on any planes that will or already trying to attack the carrier. Even when playing offensively as a bomber you should learn to know when to fall back to the middle point and even times when to fully fall back.
The Path Of The Defensive Bomber

Whats Good About Playing Defensive Bomber?
The benefit from playing as a defensive bomber is quite simple; one of your main focuses is to keep the lock down on your side of the map. You do not want anyone to break your map control. If they do than your just making it harder for your whales to block the enemies push no matter the game mode. One of the cool things I find when playing defensively is that when the enemy ball carrier is moving towards you, all you have to do it turn around so that your tail-gun is pointing at him or her and start firing. With the flak tail-gun it will take more skill than that of the smaller tail-gun from the suppressor perk. It is a more simpler way of defending the goal or the area around it when your the only one left. Something interesting you can do is adapt your defense with a hint of offense. What I mean is you can move up with your team enough so that you have range on the goal, and so that you don't go fully into the goal area.
Lastly, you should think about what perk set up you like the most and feel the most comfortable using.

Recommended Perk Setups

1st Setup - BALL
Flak Tailgun
Repair Drone
Turbo Charger

2nd Setup - TBD
Flak Tailgun
Repair Drone
Ultracapacitor

3rd Setup - TBD/BALL
Suppressor
Heavy Armor
Ultracapacitor

4th Setup - TBD/BALL
Suppressor
Repair Drone
Turbocharger

Last edited by Hollywood; 09-01-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:31 PM

Introduction To The Work Schedule

Oh how the mighty have fallen in the sight of "work".... I do not expect you do follow this at all. you can learn how ever you feel is right. I only suggest you follow it. I use to spend 6+ hours learning nothing but bomber, now I play it 10 hours a day. But that's just me. >.> I can guarantee this workout plan will get you ripped in only 2 months. If not we don't refund your money. ^_^ Have a nice day.
The amount of time it takes to get ripped will vary between person. We do not take responsibility for any dying planes.

Bomber Work Schedule

Flying The Plane
This is the same for all planes. I would still suggest getting a feel for how the bomber turns and how it shoots. I suggest comparing those two factors together. I recommend going to Training > Skirmish and fly around for a couple of minutes. Make sure you aren't bumping into any walls. After which I would proceed to the best ping server you can find. If you are starting off as a new player I would like that you go into Bouncy wall servers. Stay there until you don't crash anymore. Once you stop crashing you should go to a normal wall server.
When you feel comfortable with this move on to the next one.
Bomber Spam
You should get a feeling for how the nades curve. I suggest you go into an empty map and spam down choke points (Choke Points = Parts of the map that are highly used or have a two way intersection). It will be highly important you understand how the nades curve. You don't want to be over shooting on enemy planes. There is something I don't think a lot of people have noticed. If you can truly understand the curve in the nades. You can reach places where you didn't think you could. A great way to practice controlling the curve is to shoot up into small holes on an angle going left or right of the hole. The map called ball_grotto or tbd_grotto is a good place practice this. The map has some good ways to practice this. Also you can practice this on tbd_asteriods. That is a very good map too.
Suppressor
It will be important if you want to master the Suppressor over the Flak-Tail Gun that you focus on this perk. I would start off by attacking groups of enemies with as many grenades as possible in public servers. They tend to bunch into groups and follow the ball/bomb carrier. So it will make things easier. Since you are using the Suppressor over the Flak-Tail Gun you will want to practice aiming moving targets with grenades. It will help to be able to hit them rather than miss all of the time. I would highly focus on being able to hit moving targets with as many grenades as possible it will be key to playing this perk. I would like to think that the better your aim the faster you can kill. Try to go 30-10 > 25-10 in kills with only the nades.
Small Tail-Gun
I find the easiest way to learn the small tail-gun on the Suppressor perk is to first lure the enemy towards you. Then Follow up by turning around and leaving your back side faced towards them. I know what your thinking. It can be very helpful to learn how to use the tail-gun if you practice being followed by an enemy plane. Also this is a normal tactic which bomber planes use to finish smoking planes off with.
Flak Tail-Gun
It will be important if you want to master the Flak-Tail Gun over the Suppressor that you focus on this perk. I would start off by leading enemies around corners for a easier aim. When you start to feel comfortable with that I would move on to "straight away aiming" also known as when there is an enemy plane following you and trying to kill you. Most planes when you begin firing the flak gun on them, they start to weave in and out so you miss them. This is the perfect moment to practice aiming on a moving target. You will want to try to predict where they will go so you can aim ahead of them. It will take some time. Don't get upset if you can't get this down at first. Over time it will become easier and you will be able to cover both sides of your plane when put under pressure. What most people did not know was that the main key to being good with flak is timing. When you are turning your plane the aim comes from when you hit the D button. It sounds stupid but it's true. Your really just pressing the button when your tail-gun passes by the plane and timing it so it lands on the target. I hope this makes sense to you. Being able to control when you shoot the tail-gun is very important.
Staying Alive
Staying alive or in some cases "whoring" for kills is important so you know how to kill. I would try to maintain ratios of 30-10 > 25-10. The ratios I just said are guesses of what I think you will be able to do. I would still try for as high as you can get. When you can successfully do that I would move on from Bouncy wall to a Normal wall server where there are better players than that of a Bouncy wall server. At first you will not get the ratios you did before. That just means you can grow and grow in a new environment. "Fresh Meat" in this case. If you are asking yourself well why is he telling me to go to Bouncy servers when I don't crash into walls. Well that is simple; you should always build yourself from the ground up. It is very important that you build skills according to your skill level with that perk. Stop thinking you can start in the highest level of play or even something that is still over your level and gain faster than you would from building up. Just keep thinking that.
Being Aggressive
Pep talk time! oh boy.
No matter what game mode you are playing you should always be as aggressive as you can possibly be. The better you can harass the enemy the more you are helping your team and the more you gain. Being aggressive is all about being able to control your plane. If you don't trust yourself you will be only hurting yourself by not being able to trust that you can do it. Now a great way to practice being aggressive is playing where all the action is ball/bomb. It will get you use to the feeling of having of being on your feet or in other words push you to your limit. Also it's just good to learn how to work with your team.
When you feel comfortable with this move on to the last one.
Balance Balance Balance
Now to take all you have practiced for and bring them all together. The easiest way to know if you can balance your skills is simple; To test your balance I would play full forward or where ever the ball/bomb is at the time. This is to put you into the center of the action so you can see if you can actually keep yourself together when under pressure. I know you learned how to "kill whore" now you just have to make the switch into staying in the action and getting the beastly kills you would normally get from "kill whoring".
I will list the things you will need to put together.
  • Playing aggressive
  • Protecting your team mates
  • Killing important enemies like a ball/bomb carrier
  • Ball handling
  • Staying alive
  • Map control in high played areas

The Final Moment :O

You are finally helping the team. Well no one cares... Your still a nobody. You must decide your weapon of choice and do battle with the lords of competitive.

It's finally time to come out of your mother.... ermm.... no O. O in fact stay in there it's pretty warm. It's time to take the leap into the competitive scene. You are now ready to make that jump from learning to actually being able to play bomber. Please read Mled's TBD Bomber Guide for further knowledge on TBD. I recommend the guide as it has a lot of good information. If you are interested in learning BALL than please read Hollywood's BALL Bomber Guide.

Last edited by Hollywood; 09-01-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:33 PM

Other Players Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Nipple View Post
nice, tho i would have to disagree on the use of flak and the way its used at the minute generally, from experience you should use the flak when u see yourself coming up to a tricky area, say 2 or more players are converging on you. Then do a tight turn and flak away in right spaces it will propel u away, its possible to aim with flak yes but really its better to turn and run when your outnumbered and you wont need to aim alot as when escaping the flak will hitt the people behind u leaving enough time for you to escape. Hopefully makes some sense, i see far too many people aiming with flak, I do myself sometimes when i havnt got my ryhtm going but when i notice myself aiming with flak i know am not using it its best, but when you get your rythm going and tend to pwn more its more for escape with the added bonus of being so powerful it kills!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguard View Post
its true bomber has the lowest skill requirement to be useful for the team.

That doesnt mean it has a low skill ceiling. Decision making, finese, control, aim etc will make people stand out using any plane.

Last edited by Hollywood; 09-01-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Uh you wrote 2 guides?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Uh you wrote 2 guides?
Something wrong?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:27 PM

Nevermind. Write as many guides as you want.

Last edited by [Y]; 08-10-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:56 PM

Okay heres my guide for bomber:

Hold f.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:06 PM

Pretty nıce guıde holly! nıce work
Old 08-10-2010, 03:10 PM

been there done that lol, but no really its nice for people who dont want to read alot and i value that. The quick simple way of what bomber does, if you like it read some one else's guide for more depth

Last edited by mled; 08-10-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana View Post
Okay heres my guide for bomber:

Hold f.
Go near choke, hold F, make a 360º turn, hold F again, repeat.

And if someone is behind you hold D.

Bomber has a low skill ceiling compared to most of the other planes. Any decent player can learn Bomber easily and be useful with it as long as they know the basics of TBD and Ball. Sadly, that is quite rare.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:16 PM

nice work holly!

and uhh for the circlejerk, hold f.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCM View Post

Bomber has a low skill ceiling compared to most of the other planes. Any decent player can learn Bomber easily and be useful with it as long as they know the basics of TBD and Ball. Sadly, that is quite rare.
what you trying to say? i literally rape people with my bomber. People that play bomber alot like nip ACE gang and me MADE it a high skill level people from now on will rarely master bomber because they think its so easy.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:35 PM

Oh I rape people with Bomber too.

It's incredibly useful, no one can quesion that.

It's just not very hard to get reasonably good with it.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Oh I rape people with Bomber too.

It's incredibly useful, no one can quesion that.

It's just not very hard to get reasonably good with it.
the planes is as good as the people to use it.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Something wrong?
No nothing at all I just realized no one noticed this cause you posted them both at the same time lol, props for all the work.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to BoboTheTiny Send a message via Skype™ to BoboTheTiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mled View Post
what you trying to say? i literally rape people with my bomber.

O boy. I mean I literally **** around with my jimmajamma, but come on now. In the literal sense of the word, your grammar could use some HELP..
Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboTheTiny View Post
O boy. I mean I literally **** around with my jimmajamma, but come on now. In the literal sense of the word, your grammar could use some HELP..
? i was just making my view point from the argument sound bigger then it is. i literally think u should gtfo <--see, doesn't make a difference all in good fun
Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM

its true bomber has the lowest skill requirement to be useful for the team.

That doesnt mean it has a low skill ceiling. Decision making, finese, control, aim etc will make people stand out using any plane.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 PM

I think bomber is tied with laser now for the title of "ez plane". Laser's energy management is such a non-issue at a basic level because your beam can onehitkill most planes anyway. /derail

On topic, I have never been good with arcing weapons in any game I've played. Well, there's the Danger Close TOOB in CoD, but I don't think that's so much an arcing weapon as "Everything in front of me is ded".
Old 08-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
I think bomber is tied with laser now for the title of "ez plane". Laser's energy management is such a non-issue at a basic level because your beam can onehitkill most planes anyway. /derail

On topic, I have never been good with arcing weapons in any game I've played. Well, there's the Danger Close TOOB in CoD, but I don't think that's so much an arcing weapon as "Everything in front of me is ded".
danger close is so sick
Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 PM

I feel like such a dog kicker when using that OP piece of ****.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 PM

i suck so i take kills any way i can get them
Old 08-13-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post

Considering in every laser setup we do you end up having to switch to trickster because of subpar laser performance I would rethink this statement.

-With love,

Kuja900
Old 08-13-2010, 03:29 PM

I said easy to pick up and play, not hit the skill ceiling. I'm definately closer to the trick ceiling and I think Ingbo and maybe Cloud have hit the laser ceiling.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 AM

Default <3

remember when i used dumbombs in flbss, now my new perk obsession is flexi
Old 08-21-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:

This was quite funny tbh :P
Old 08-22-2010, 11:43 PM

nice, tho i would have to disagree on the use of flak and the way its used at the minute generally, from experience you should use the flak when u see yourself coming up to a tricky area, say 2 or more players are converging on you. Then do a tight turn and flak away in right spaces it will propel u away, its possible to aim with flak yes but really its better to turn and run when your outnumbered and you wont need to aim alot as when escaping the flak will hitt the people behind u leaving enough time for you to escape. Hopefully makes some sense, i see far too many people aiming with flak, I do myself sometimes when i havnt got my ryhtm going but when i notice myself aiming with flak i know am not using it its best, but when you get your rythm going and tend to pwn more its more for escape with the added bonus of being so powerful it kills!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Nipple View Post

See mleds guide for nipples famous quote lolz