Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Guides > Beta Guides
FAQ Community Calendar

Beta Guides Beta guides are still works in progress.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 PM

Default The Underappreciated Ball Bomber Guide

Introduction
Bomber is mainly used for map control in ball. It has good health, good range, great damage, slow flying speed and pretty good turning capabilities. The bad thing about Bomber is it isn't the most user friendly plane, if you don't handle it well with its slower speed than your average Loopys speed, your going to get caught in dogfights you won't win. I know most of you will say against this but then think about it. Most of you are able to just spam in one area, turn around, repeat that action while your team mates clean and clear the rest. When you think about what can a Bomber really do then that's when you start to learn how useful it can be. Grenade "spamming" off blindly over objects and off screen is what often happens with Bombers. This is generally frowned upon by more experienced players when abused.

Competitive Play

BALL
Bombers in ball are very important for any good team to work well. They are the heart and soul of the team. It is very important that a bomber is clearing and pushing the other team while the ball carrier is passing/moving up with the ball. Don't be afraid do die trying to clear the enemy, it's better you than your team mate. I have noticed some bomber players have gotten off track on what they should be and should not be doing.
Killing & Ratio
Killing for a bomber is very important, you will need to be able to control your killing. It is not helpful to get super high ratios like ratios of 4-5+ and higher. I would aim for an average of 1.5-2.5 or 2-3 ratio per game depending on the circumstances. You will be killing and still be more helpful to your team than someone who is getting a higher ratio than you and not helping the team. Disagree with this. Then your focusing on killing way to much.
Your goal
If you like to play goalie you need to learn how to rush and when to move from the goal area. You can not stay near the goal area for to long. I will not stress this enough. It is very unhelpful if you camp your teams goal. What if you weren't up near the middle of the map and your team dies. There could be a possible whole or half team rushing towards you. I strongly advise playing bomber on a more mid field to aggressive approach.
Clearing the ball from the Goal
This should be done properly if done wrong the ball will fall into enemy hands near the goal area. To ensure success of a cleared ball you should fly as far downward as you can and either shoot it past the half-point of your side of the map or carry it till it is far enough away from the goal so your team has enough time to spawn. You want to get the ball to the bottom most part of the map because it is harder to move up the map than down the map due to some sort of gravity in altitude. When you get near or at the center of the map you should think about either keeping the ball with you or passing forward. There may not be any offensive players on your team that you can pass to in situations like this so try to shoot it as far away from your half point as possible. As a bomber it will make you harder to kill so you can get farther than the average loopy could. Lastly, I have seen a lot of players pass in front of the goal, this is very dangerous to do because an enemy player could be waiting for someone to take the open pass and score only to thank you for his or her goal.
The Mid Point
The mid point for any Bomber is concentrated around mid map control. Being able to keep the center of the map in play when the other team is rushing is key to helping the defense block out the cherry pickers and "Rush Miranda"(Where the Miranda will try to go with the ball alone to the goal) At times the total rush of the team. This is good for the aggressive/offensive Bombers. Take note you need to be able to control the following parts of the map; Center, Top and Bottom. They are all important in ball not just only one. Blocking choke points with grenades is a big factor in map control it may be the "noobish" ideal of choice for most in their mind sets but it is strategy one way or another. I would like to remind you that you should not be dealing out pointless spam. You should spam grenades with a purpose! If any enemy team is in the mid-point trying to get to the goal aim for the group.
Enemies Goal
Bombers should really approach this part of the map as much as they can. Playing offensive bomber is a highly needed skill. It should be the first thing you think about a Bomber when playing. The most successful way to play offensively is to push hard with Bomber spam. It is the single most effective way to keep the ball in the enemies goal area. If done right a Bomber can get goals easily by picking up the ball and moving towards the goal with the amount of damage they can take before dying. I would only try to take the ball and dunk/shoot if there is no one at that moment to get the ball. It should be a "only if" thing.
Bomber Ball Handling
Wait what. No, a bomber should never really be handling the ball. The ideal ball handling for a bomber is to find the best possible team mate to pass too. I will remind you that is not always right away. You will have to take into mind that you can't always get a pass off. Sometimes it's much more helpful to either run with it untill you get a clear pass or if your close enough to the enemies goal that you just dunk it. Bombers shoot/pass the ball at a higher velocity than light planes.
Playing Offensive Bomber
The benefit from playing as a offensive bomber atleast I find a lot more interesting. As a bomber player you must make it your mission to destroy the defensive players that block the goal when your team pushes. You will find yourself wanting/having to clear the planes for your team mates. What else do you think your plane is for. The bomber was designed to be a clearing plane or in some words the "tank" plane for a team. When playing offensively you should also remember you can't just blindly rush out and start flailing your grenades around. Spam with a purpose. Find the planes that will help the ball carrier to move forward but not just the closest plane to you. The soul purpose is to clear the enemy from the goal so that the ball carrier can score. You should watch and quickly focus on any planes that will or already trying to attack the carrier. Even when playing offensively as a bomber you should learn to know when to fall back to the middle point and even times when to fully fall back.
Playing Defensive Bomber
The benefit from playing as a defensive bomber is quite simple; one of your main focuses is to keep the lock down on your side of the map. You do not want anyone to break your map control. If they do than your just making it harder for your whales to block the enemies push no matter the game mode. One of the cool things I find when playing defensively is that when the enemy ball carrier is moving towards you, all you have to do it turn around so that your tail-gun is pointing at him or her and start firing. With the flak tail-gun it will take more skill than that of the smaller tail-gun from the suppressor perk. It is a more simpler way of defending the goal or the area around it when your the only one left. Something interesting you can do is adapt your defense with a hint of offense. What I mean is you can move up with your team enough so that you have range on the goal, and so that you don't go fully into the goal area.
Killing A Bomber
One of the most simplest ways to kill a bomber is to get them to waste their energy up missing your plane. It will allow you a second or two to make your move. Now if your a loopy you can just EMP the bomber, but in this case what if we don't have that option? Simple you can also attack from the sides. That is another way to approach a bomber player. Since I've never seen a bomber player play "Flexible Wings" it will be harder to turn thus giving you the seconds you need to attack. Just don't waste that chance. There is something that I do not think most people even know about. The flak-tail gun bomber has a blind spot from the back. If you get up close enough you will notice where the bomber can't get off a flak shot on you.

Last edited by Hollywood; 09-01-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 PM

Perk Setups

1st Possible Setup
Suppressor
Heavy Armor
Ultracapacitor
A pretty common setup, this is used more for map control since you are trying to head on the enemies and smack back the enemy planes. These type of players don't use the tail gun that much unless they really need to or know when they can kill a plane in situations. They rely on their aim and success of the grenades. With this setup you will want to conserve your energy more and afterburn a lot less. It will be important that you don't use most of your energy on after burning, it will be very important so that you don't rush in to fast and end up with no energy to fire your weapons. please keep this in mind.
2nd Possible Setup
Flak Tail-gun
Repair Drone
Turbo Charger
My favorite setup and probably always will be because it gives me enough time to gain back enough energy to shoot off the *** Cannon(Flak Tail-gun Bullets). This is a very good setup for Bombers that want to keep on their feet. You never want to be caught with your pants down now do you? I really hate it when people steal my Health so I tend to put on Repair Drone because of that. With this setup you will want to be more aggressive than the other setups. Try to keep on your toes as much as possible. You will not have to worry about not after burning as much due to the fact of fast regeneration for the energy.
3rd Possible Setup
Flak Tail-gun
Repair Drone
Ultracapacitor
A mix of energy and trying to lead your enemies into the range of your flak gun after you clean up with grenades. This is for the players who want the extra energy. They move more slowly across the map so therefore not wasting as much energy on afterburners. With this setup you will want to conserve your energy more and afterburn a lot less. It will be important that you don't use most of your energy on after burning, it will be very important so that you don't rush in to fast and end up with no energy to fire your weapons. please keep this in mind.

Perks
Red Perks
Suppressor - This is a great perk in the lower levels when you don't have all the good perks or just don't swing towards the might of the flak gun. It will still be very helpful even when your playing competitively.
Bombs - This perk is never used seriously because grenades are better. Players who use this perk are considered "noobish" because they often just drop them on big groups or camp over top of enemy bases/goals. I would only recommend this perk for fun and not competitive play.
Flak Tail-gun - This is perk is very good for those players who find are always getting followed by enemy planes and want that extra power to finish or scare away the enemy. Flak gun is a widely used perk and a lot of bombers seem to use because it gives you a strong back gun that in a few fires can kill any enemy. Also note that the flak tail-gun has a shorter range.
Green Perks
Rubberized Hull - Reduces damage done by walls. This perk can be helpful for newer players to learn with in normal wall servers so one can get comfortable with the plane but since bouncy walls this perk is not suggested by any bomber players. "It is better to crash and die then get shot at and then crash."
Heavy Armor - Gives you more health. I would highly suggest this perk if you want that extra health and are also good at killing to gain the health packs.
Repair Drone - Repairs your health over time. I would highly suggest this perk if you find yourself in the position of taking damage after a fight but living and not being able to find any more health. Mostly because your enemy/allies either takes it when not needed or you know you don't have enough health to match a plane on a level 1v1.
Flexible Wings - Improved turning. This perk is not really needed since the bomber already has a pretty good turning ability, even after it was nerfed. If you like the normal rate of turning compared to the loopys over turning then you won't mind not having this perk.
Blue Perks
Turbo Charger - Recharge your energy faster. This perk is used a lot because it can gain back the energy you need to finish the fight in double the time you would normally, you don't want your ball carrier to die and you really don't want the enemy to score a goal. This can be very useful when you need to rush back to your goal to help your team. If so then you will be much more happier with this perk than Ultracapacitor.
Ultracapacitor - Increases your maximum energy. If you enjoy the extra energy to deal out more damage than you would normally this is the perk for you. When using a bomber it gives you a whole extra grenade. It doesn't sound like a lot but it can be helpful in many situations. Players who grenade spam more openly or feel they target the bigger groups more always fall towards this perk and that so happens to be the more advanced players who enjoy this perk since they always need that extra grenade in competitive play. If so then you will be much more happier with this perk than Turbo Charger.
Reverse Thruster - Gives you the ability to fly backwards. This perk should never be used on any plane unless your just messing around trying to have fun in none competitive play. You really don't need to go backwards on a fat plane like the bomber. Just a waste of energy and a perk.
Ace Instincts - Your veteran bars are 50% times more effective. This is perk is not suggested in competitive play. The perk gives you 50% more bonuses to bars so it will make you very harmful and a lot stronger at what you do. If you are not the best killer or just plain don't like to kill but carry ball I wouldn't use this perk. This perk isn't used in competitive play because the players want you and themselves to play the objective more than focusing on just killing.

Plane Matchups
vs Loopy: Loopys are very very easy to kill if you do it the right way. You are a bomber, I highly suggest taking action before the loopy does. Their low amount of health compared to yours plus your grenades will do serious damage. The most ways a loopy can get an upper hand on you easily is trying to pick you off from behind or the sides when you just came out of a fight. Nasty I know but it happens.

vs Bomber: This brings a tear to my eye. Not really though, if you are heading on a bomber on bomber action you should want attack him/her before they get the chance to attack you. I suggest dodging if possible, unless you have an item or something to hide behind. if they are turned around have fun, bomber vs bomber is for sure to win if the other bomber is facing any direction but at the other plane. If they have Flak Tail gun you will want to watch out for that. It can do serious damage to your plane in the hands of someone that is good at aiming the tail gun, so they will try to lead you behind them, don't follow try to get around or cut them off in a choke point if they are in flak range.

vs Explodet: When faced off with an Explodet most often you can kill the Explodet with long-range grenade spam. If you fall into their trap they will slam you into the wall and you won't like it. If they are more advanced with the plane then you should try to get them at the back from a range out of the mines. Thanks to grenade range this is possible. It is more dangerous to approach a good Explodet from the front. The back is suggested because of the planes slow turning speed and most likely won't be using "Flexible Wings". if you are approaching from the front then I would suggest getting them to shoot their first rocket so that it misses you or at least doesn't totally smack you into a wall. Of course they will get the second shot in if your slow but you will have enough time to get your shots on the Explodet and hopefully kill him.

vs Biplane: It is easier to kill them if they don't have HC(Heavy Cannon). If they do then most likely that person knows how to aim or will just hold down their fire button at close range. It only takes 3 hits to kill you without bars. You should never head on this plane, it is more dangerous when it gets in point blank range due to it being a very good plane in close combat situations. If the plane does not have Heavy Cannon then it will be less of a bother to kill them. Just keep them out of range, hit them with grenades and your tailgun. You should win most of the fights when out of their range.

vs Miranda: The bomber can kill Miranda's easily so don't be afraid enjoy killing them, their isn't much they can do besides dodge. The most common way a bomber dies to a Miranda is primary warp combo. It basically works where they shot the primary at you and then very quickly follow up by a warp right after or at the same time. I find that Time Anchor Miranda's will try to get you to waste your energy so they can either kill or run. You will want to get a feel for where the anchor will be before they anchor. If you can get this down then they won't have much places to go.

Last edited by Hollywood; 09-01-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 PM

Other Players Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrode View Post
I support this thread.

However, I think aiming for a 2-3 ratio is a little silly. If you do that every game against good players, you are most likely playing a little too defensively and not helping clear the goal enough for your ball carriers. IMO, the sweet spot is somewhere between 1.5-2.5, depending on circumstances. For example, if the ball is mostly on the enemies side, you will die more (you will rush in, kill the whale defending the goal and hopefully clear a shot for a teammate, but something will come kill you while you have no energy). If the ball is in middle, you will roll face. If ball is on your side, you will hopefully be rolling face, but may be getting swarmed too hard.

The fact that bombers need to help clear the goal was tough for me to learn. Being comfy in mid with gold bars is pretty fun, but may not help the team as much as you could.

Also, supp > flak imo cause of the huge range advantage and the autoaim is immensely helpful, not because I can't aim well, but because then u can dodge slightly while u shoot backwards and still hit. The range advantage should at least be mentioned.

Might be worth it to note that bombers shoot/pass the ball at a higher velocity than light planes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
i agree that mediocre bombers should not attempt to play the ball

Last edited by Hollywood; 08-26-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Then your just a whore.

But you are.

Also Holly likes bomber on bomber action. The weird **** they do in Canada.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:19 PM

hmmmmm..... I smell a whore... Oh Hi Hollywood!!!

I'll have to read it some time though it looks good.... took you long enough... jk
Old 08-09-2010, 11:27 PM

I support this thread.

However, I think aiming for a 2-3 ratio is a little silly. If you do that every game against good players, you are most likely playing a little too defensively and not helping clear the goal enough for your ball carriers. IMO, the sweet spot is somewhere between 1.5-2.5, depending on circumstances. For example, if the ball is mostly on the enemies side, you will die more (you will rush in, kill the whale defending the goal and hopefully clear a shot for a teammate, but something will come kill you while you have no energy). If the ball is in middle, you will roll face. If ball is on your side, you will hopefully be rolling face, but may be getting swarmed too hard.

The fact that bombers need to help clear the goal was tough for me to learn. Being comfy in mid with gold bars is pretty fun, but may not help the team as much as you could.

Also, supp > flak imo cause of the huge range advantage and the autoaim is immensely helpful, not because I can't aim well, but because then u can dodge slightly while u shoot backwards and still hit. The range advantage should at least be mentioned.

Might be worth it to note that bombers shoot/pass the ball at a higher velocity than light planes.

Last edited by shrode; 08-09-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: CUZ I WANNA
Old 08-09-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I support this thread.

Awesome Information, I will add. Added you to the Special Thanks list also.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Also note that the flak tail-gun has a higher range than the small tail-gun
Backwards!!! Flak has much shorter range.

I still <3 you for making this guide awesome tho
Old 08-09-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Backwards!!! Flak has much shorter range.
Fixed*

10char
Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 AM

Seeing as how i have been know to play bomber in ball ill try to find time to read it and ill post my thoughts... from quickly scanning it looks decent.

one note: ball handling as bomber is fine, if and only if your Clapon.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapon View Post
ball handling is fine if your Clapon.
I couldn't agree more. ^_^
Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

My favorite plane is bomber, so I will make sure I read this Guide. Also, my favorite Bomber perk setup is Flak/Repair Drone/Ultracapacitor
Old 08-10-2010, 06:48 AM

5+ ratio is fine if you're nikon.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:49 AM

i agree that mediocre bombers should not attempt to play the ball