Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 PM

Default Tips for a Base map?

I've been rather pushing away map making for a bit and I am thinking of starting over from scratch again. But I'm not too sure on exactly what makes tbd map formats good. Tips from the community would be fantastic.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

tbd_graveyard

want sketches, ill send u some good stuff

like, in the top, but a secret path way for another bomb, like, two more team bombs, and they have to plow through turrets to get to them

like i said, if u want sketches ill be down to provide
Old 08-14-2010, 07:01 PM

A picture would be great.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:35 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Multiple different avenues to run the bomb through, which need to be interchangable at some point so you don't get stuck defending the middle one and can't defend bottom without flying all the way back

That sets the stage for the application of bomb running skills - choosing the right path for the situation, juking through switching paths or pretending to do so

When placing cover in proximity to the bases to make it easier for runners to move in, imagine that a randa is the runner and try to keep it from being overpowering

Remember the lesson of tbd_hills - having only a couple chokepoints that dominate the entire map turns the game into a complete and utter campfest on those chokes. Spread chokes out throughout the map so players can advance and fight around them instead of just defending the base choke

Mix up big areas with narrower tunnels; again, providing small chokes into big areas where the fights take place

I have no map making experience, just spouting some things off the top of my head from playing experience, so I could be completely wrong

P.S. on map making itself PLEASE make it obvious in the graphic design what is fly-throughable and what isn't, I absoloutely hate those maps where you're not sure if you can fly through something or not
Old 08-16-2010, 08:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DryBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
P.S. on map making itself PLEASE make it obvious in the graphic design what is fly-throughable and what isn't, I absoloutely hate those maps where you're not sure if you can fly through something or not
Definately agreed
Old 08-16-2010, 09:22 AM

Make sure to put FATASS walls on the right and left sides of the map. Surprisingly, doing this doesn't make your map better or worse at all in terms of gameplay, but it will prevent drama!
Old 08-17-2010, 03:48 PM

From my experience heres my thoughts;

Size/proportion is the main issue. Be carefull with map height.
Mixing neutral and team specific bombs can be an add-on, and can completely transform a map. I might be wrong but i think planepark its the only one so, going that way, can be good for being diferent.
Avoid spawn points too near the base.
Carefull choice of bomb spawn timmings is very important.
Obstacles near base; think of it exactly like Beagle expressed it > always think of randa runners.

Mis open fields, tight corners, big and small gaps and u got urdelf a map.

In what concerns graphics; dont exagerate colour usage. Monochomatic tones are less stressy on the eyes. The less the contrast in the background the better.
Use the contrast "weapon" only to define colidables.
PS - surveys say, blue is people favourite colour
Old 08-18-2010, 12:24 AM

Opinions on side crossings? Like Middleground's passable lower path.

Working on a makeshift map, ideas would be appreciated when posted. No fancy graphics will be on it, just black shapes on white backgrounds. Working on it as I speak.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DryBone

in loco, u can bomb under the base and it's a bit hard to defend (when the base hp have like 5 left) so maybe some fast way to defend it efficently for the team?