Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 AM

Default [linux] xbox 360 controller issues

I'm attempting to use an Xbox 360 controller (wired) to play altitude on ubuntu 9.04.

I've tried the default xpad drivers and the latest xboxdrv drivers (here). Both seem to work perfectly in other games, and both are recognized by altitude (it shows the appropriate controllers in the settings menu). The problem comes when configuring Altitude though - the analog triggers, sticks, and dpad fail to register when I try to setup controls.

I've also tested a Logitech dual action controller - everything on it works flawlessly (I just don't like that controller).

Given what I can see, it points to the problem being with the game, and I'm at a loss for how to fix this. Help would be appreciated though - it's all but unplayable under linux since I got used to playing with the controller in windows.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:25 PM

Default second

Hi

I have the exact same issue, the controller is detected but the joysticks and triggers don't work. It seems all continuous controllers are not recognized. The controller fully works when testes via jstest (including triggers and joysticks).

Running Fedora 14, 2.6.35.9-64.fc14.x86_64

If you need further info/debugging output please contact me.

greetings
neko^_^mata (made a f.. typo in the username)
Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 AM

Just wanted to add some data: Tried the same thing on my Thinkpad T61p running arch linux. Pad gets recognised with xpad module or xboxdrv (userspace). With both drivers nothing works. Attached dmidecode output.

I also tried setting controls manually in the config file, tried CONTROLLER_AXIS with buttons 0-9, but still nothing. I would really appreciate some help in this, I'm willing to put work to it if neccessary.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sysinfo.txt (14.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-22-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko^_^,ata View Post
(made a f.. typo in the username)
If it really bothers you, you could make a new account with the correct spelling. You've only made 2 post so it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexio View Post
If it really bothers you, you could make a new account with the correct spelling. You've only made 2 post so it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
Thanks for the hint, but I'll just carry it with dignity

Regarding the Problem/Bug: Does anyone know what altitude uses to process controller input? Does lwjgl provide functionality for this or is it another lib? Maybe I could determine if it's a lib or a game problem.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Administrator

We use JInput (which is bundled with LWJGL) to interface with native gamepads. We are using a relatively old version of LWJGL in some places. Have you tried the test version from http://nimblygames.com/test/altitude.sh which uses a newer version of the JInput library? You could also try other games that use JInput, such as http://www.puppygames.net/titan-attacks/
Old 12-24-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
We use JInput (which is bundled with LWJGL) to interface with native gamepads. We are using a relatively old version of LWJGL in some places. Have you tried the test version from http://nimblygames.com/test/altitude.sh which uses a newer version of the JInput library? You could also try other games that use JInput, such as http://www.puppygames.net/titan-attacks/
Thanks, almost like a christmas gift

The situation improved (now the buttons are the same as they used to be on my win box) but the continuous controllers are still not recognized at all. I tried titan-attacks and this one doesn't register any controller input at all. All tried with xpad and xboxdrv. I'm away for a few days to get around the whole christmas dinner scene (not my cup of tea), I'll try some more things on my side beginning next year. Maybe coding a small test program using lwjgls JInput would help pinpoint the problem. And maybe trying the whole thing again on a vanilla ubuntu 32bit install. Well, I really wanna play this game, so I'm sure to do some more digging in time

Again, thanks a lot for your help
~neko