Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 AM

Default 64bit support in linux?

Apparently there isn't any native 64-bit support, so I was wondering if there is any plan to fix that.
Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 PM

I don't know about the client, but I have absolutely no problems running a server on 64-bit Linux servers. I had to do a:

sudo apt-get install lib32gcc1

but that's quite ordinary for any game server (Steam needs it too, for example). Why don't you download the demo and try it?
Old 09-24-2010, 03:08 AM

I guess you don't understand the question.
I'm asking whether there are any prospects of a native AMD64 build of the Altitude client.
I guess Altitude devs/mods would know.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Administrator

install a 64-bit jvm edit:
~/Altitude/.install4j/pref_jre.cfg
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
install a 64-bit jvm edit:
~/Altitude/.install4j/pref_jre.cfg
How do I find that config file, Karl? It's not even possible to unpack the installation file:

Code:
idk@main:~/Downloads$ sudo ./altitude.sh
Unpacking JRE ...
Preparing JRE ...
./altitude.sh: 335: bin/unpack200: not found
Error unpacking jar files. The architecture or bitness (32/64)
of the bundled JVM might not match your machine.
idk@main:~/Downloads$
A detailed description would be great, thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:27 AM

That error is caused by NOT doing the apt-get line that I said earlier on.

Altitude is a java app and uses a Java VM of whatever type you tell it. The installer is, however, 32-bit and needs that backwards-compatibility libraries to run unpack2000 and install itself. Once it's installed, though, you can change to a 64-bit JVM and / or just carry on running the included 32-bit JVM if you've got that libgcc32 thing that I described earlier on.

On other Linuxes it's a bit more of a problem because that's an entire 32-bit libgcc setup I think. But you need the same fix for Steam to run on a 64-bit server so it's not like it's untested or dodgy.

64-bit native installers would be nice but when it's all fixed by a single apt-get, is it really worth bothering?

(Currently running a 64-bit Linux altitude server).
Old 10-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the fast answer!

Is there a smooth way to change back to 64bit JVM after the installation?

Last edited by idk; 10-18-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:33 PM

To answer some of the questions you asked privately, in case others need them:

/opt/altitude/server_launcher (or wherever you elected to install it, I think that's the default) is the file you need to run to start it.

The JVM used is contained in the "jre" folder of that same place. However, as mentioned in this thread, you can edit ".install4j/pref_jre.cfg" (don't miss off the initial dot!) from that same folder (e.g. nano .install4j/pref_jre.cfg ) and point it at any JVM you like (e.g. on my server, /opt/java/64/jre1.6.0_21/ is the 64-bit version that I have installed).

If you successfully change the java runtime that you use (i.e. it works when you edit that pref_jre.cfg file), then you can move/remove the jre folder from the altitude folder.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the help, ledow!

I got some new problems, so I'll use the same thread.

Ubuntu 10.10 x64 but with x32 JVM at the moment.

When downloading a new map, the loading bar freezes at 100%. So it's not possible to play any map at all, EXCEPT ball_astriods.

The other problem is that the mouse cursor's real position increased offset by about 10-20 pixels in the Y-axel, even when I kill altitude. What I mean with real position is that the image/icon of the cursor is decreased on the Y-axel, when I want to click on a specific position is actually clicks right under it. So I have to restart the computer to make it reposition to center.

altitude.error.log
Code:
[Fatal Error] :1:99: Element type "SOAP-ENV:Envelope" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".
/log/Altitude.log - (Output from multiple executions)
http://pastebin.org/297305

/log/Launch.log
Code:
INFO [2010-10-18 12:15:54,745] [main]: Initialized logger: file=log/Launch.log, level=DEBUG, pattern=%p [%d{ISO8601}] [%t]: %m%n, maxFileSize=100KB, maxBackups=1, wasInitialized=false
INFO [2010-10-18 12:15:54,787] [main]: Launching '/usr/local/altitude/launch-game.xml', args=[]
WARN [2010-10-18 12:15:54,788] [main]: Launcher failed to load progress report from update/download/_update-progress.xml
Could anyone help me come up with a solution?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Administrator

The mouse issue sounds like a bug with the library we use for windowing/GL context acquisition. Please try the version from http://nimblygames.com/test/altitude.sh (which uses a different version of the frame library) and let me know if it resolves that issue.

The loading issue could be caused by a few things, but most likely: installing the game as one user (e.g. root) then trying to run it with a user that does not have write privileges to the Altitude install directory. Each user should have their own installation of Altitude (installed when logged in as that user). If that doesn't resolve the issue please submit a bug report (launch Altitude, F1 to open console, reportBug, submit) and I'll take a look.