Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Bandwidth?

Hey -

Can you tell me how much bandwidth a typical 14 person server needs per month with lots of play? Also what tech specs do you think a computer would need to do that?

Thanks!

Last edited by mikesol; 10-16-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:39 AM

The Altitude Server Manual speeks of 3 KB/s per player. Assuming that your server was used 24/7 that would max up to

86400 seconds (aka 24 hours) per day
* 7 days per week
* 4 weeks
* 3 KB/s per player
* 14 players
= 101,606,400 KB (aka ~96 GB)

per month. But IMHO the typical usage of well-known servers would still be far less than that, more like 8h per day, which would reduce the amount to

33,868,800KB (aka ~32 GB)

per month. However, all of this is just a guess and I bet it'll be proven wrong
Old 10-17-2010, 06:20 PM

First, you need a server that is full all the time (from early morning GMT altitude is DEAD in Europe until about 5pm - server sits empty).

But the calculation is about right. A nice thing about altitude servers (at least on Linux, I assume it's the same for Windows) is that they put out a lovely log file that repeatedly tells you bandwidth consumed so far since the program was started. I find it very handy.

From that, my football server rarely does more than 1Gb a month but it's often full of an evening for many hours. Don't expect 24/7 total occupation - even 50% averaged over time is a bit generous - and keep an eye on it. Chances are that if it's for a particular region of the world then when you all leave it's basically dead and it takes a lot of people who want to join an empty server to kick-start it again (even with bots).
Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortva View Post
The Altitude Server Manual speeks of 3 KB/s per player. Assuming that your server was used 24/7 that would max up to

86400 seconds (aka 24 hours) per day
* 7 days per week
* 4 weeks
* 3 KB/s per player
* 14 players
= 101,606,400 KB (aka ~96 GB)

per month. But IMHO the typical usage of well-known servers would still be far less than that, more like 8h per day, which would reduce the amount to

33,868,800KB (aka ~32 GB)

per month. However, all of this is just a guess and I bet it'll be proven wrong
Are you high?
Old 10-17-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
Are you high?
No U. :d
Old 10-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledow View Post
First, you need a server that is full all the time (from early morning GMT altitude is DEAD in Europe until about 5pm - server sits empty).

But the calculation is about right. A nice thing about altitude servers (at least on Linux, I assume it's the same for Windows) is that they put out a lovely log file that repeatedly tells you bandwidth consumed so far since the program was started. I find it very handy.

From that, my football server rarely does more than 1Gb a month but it's often full of an evening for many hours. Don't expect 24/7 total occupation - even 50% averaged over time is a bit generous - and keep an eye on it. Chances are that if it's for a particular region of the world then when you all leave it's basically dead and it takes a lot of people who want to join an empty server to kick-start it again (even with bots).
Do you know how much RAM a good server typically has? I'm looking at a bunch of possibilities and they range from 300 MB to 32 GB. I don't want to overspend and get something that I don't need - but I don't want to get something that I can't use either.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Memory requirements depend on exactly what you want to run. For example, the servers (Official #1, Official #2, Official #3) are all hosted in a single server_launcher process which consumes between 125 MB and 315 MB of memory on our linux installation (depending on how you count it -- 125 MB is actually resident in RAM, however the "virtual memory" footprint can grow to as high as 315 MB -- the virtual memory figure includes swapped memory that might count towards your quota on a VPS). Are you planning to run multiple altitude server instances (e.g. Official 1/2/3) or just one? Do you want a bunch of bots on those servers? How many players per server? For a single server with no bots and 32 or less players I would think you could get the total memory footprint under 300 MB (the key limiter here is how your host counts your memory quota, and the "virtual" memory reserved by the JVM).
Old 10-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
Memory requirements depend on exactly what you want to run. For example, the servers (Official #1, Official #2, Official #3) are all hosted in a single server_launcher process which consumes between 125 MB and 315 MB of memory on our linux installation (depending on how you count it -- 125 MB is actually resident in RAM, however the "virtual memory" footprint can grow to as high as 315 MB -- the virtual memory figure includes swapped memory that might count towards your quota on a VPS). Are you planning to run multiple altitude server instances (e.g. Official 1/2/3) or just one? Do you want a bunch of bots on those servers? How many players per server? For a single server with no bots and 32 or less players I would think you could get the total memory footprint under 300 MB (the key limiter here is how your host counts your memory quota, and the "virtual" memory reserved by the JVM).
Well I'm not entirely sure just yet - I just wanted to get a basic count on what I can possibly do with the resources that are out there. I am planning on running a program in the background to interact with players - which hopefully won't be too hard on the server. I'm going to have it pushed onto the wait queue until the log.txt file is updated so it shouldn't be too bad.

For now I'm probably only going to host 1 or 2 altitude server instances on it. Thanks for the info

PS: I imagine I'll try out a 20 person server with 2 bots first. I might start off even higher and work my way down as I experiment with what the server can or can't do. There's like 3 or so VPS's I'm looking at right now. One of them offers unlimited bandwidth and storage space which kind of scares me as that seems like too good to be true. I guess we'll see once I figure out what exactly to get