Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Guides > Beta Guides
FAQ Community Calendar

Beta Guides Beta guides are still works in progress.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM

Thumbs up Pro Tips For Playing Flak

I started a guide along time ago, and since I'm never going to finish it I figured I would post up the only useful part. So here's some protips for you n00bs.

General Flak Strategy:

1. Don’t forget about your Ass Cannon!
Your enemies will. So take advantage of the fact that this is the only plane that can shoot things behind it.

2. <3 Spam

Everyone will bitch, but the bottom line is that spam is an invaluable tool. You can prevent planes from entering certain areas, control choke points, hit the bomb carrier off-screen, etc. That being said, there’s a time and a place for spam. Don’t sit in one spot all map circling and mashing F. But don’t be afraid to fire a random volley ahead of you. You’ll be surprised how beneficial this can be.

3. Nades Arc Owns
Use this to your advantage. The grenades arc up. If you attack someone from below you will always have the opportunity to shoot first because of the natural arc of your shot. Attack from below when convenient. You won’t have to turn your plane nearly as much as they will to aim, and with your increased agility, this is often all you need to land a quick 3 nade kill. You can also use this to shoot around objects. You can often shoot over wall powerups, earning clutch kills, or over the corners of certain map objects. Mayhem is a great level to practice this on.

4. Attack from the front
Flak cannon is great, but if you have the opportunity to fly head to head at someone do it. Unless the enemy is playing thermo, you should be able to win this fight. Biplanes and mirandas both need to be close range to make their 1-hit combos work. You don’t.

5. Don’t forget about you Flak Cannon
Use it more goddammit!

6. Know how many shot’s it’s going to take to kill someone

This applies to all planes, but in the bomber it’s very easy to determine. Most planes need 3, bombers and whales need 4. Obviously with bars some of these numbers decrease. With Ace on you'll only need 2 bars to kill a miranda in 2 shots, and 3 bars to kill a loopy; as opposed to 3 and 5 bars respectively. (Ignoring HA)

7. Take advantage of Flak’s propulsion

Each tail shot you fire moves you forward, this makes for an excellent escape mechanism. While the overall speed you gain is not energy efficient relative to your afterburner, it does have the added bonus of scaring away planes behind you. Incredibly useful. That being said, try not to fly yourself into a wall while mashing D.

8. Aim your ****.

The flak does not have exception splash (although it does exist). A dead hit on a plane has superb knockback. It’s nothing to stall a loopy with one well aimed shot; this ability is your best friend and one of the main benefits of flak over suppressor. If you’re being chased all it takes is one well aimed shot to stop your enemy and get the distance you need to escape. So if you have the time, take an extra 50ms to aim your shot instead of just spamming at everything behind you. 1 hit > 3 misses.

enjoi, and maybe i'll add to this someday
Old 10-20-2010, 02:03 PM

1. I and many others to see if a enemy bomber has a tailgun or not. This can decide whether or not to engage depending on which angle you're coming from.

4. Really? Many bomber players would not take the chance and attack and randa or biplane head on like that. I agree with you about the biplane needing to be close range but the randa can do a warp shot combo from a fair distance. That being said, HC can still do reasonable damage on a bomber.

All the others i overall agree with except for 7. I don't know, it just bugs me. I don't see how it can be used to an advantage.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {<3}Rosco View Post
All the others i overall agree with except for 7. I don't know, it just bugs me. I don't see how it can be used to an advantage.
Repair drone while flying faster.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Whales can shoot behind them..
Old 10-20-2010, 09:02 PM

Whats the point of taking up space in the guides section of the forums? I have already stated this in mine and hollys bomber guide.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM

sorry for taking up space on ur internets mled

edit: if your ego isnt too enormous and you did want to make your guide suck a little less, please feel free to copy and paste any and all of this into it <3

Last edited by cannibalsock; 10-21-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {<3}Rosco View Post
1. I and many others to see if a enemy bomber has a tailgun or not. This can decide whether or not to engage depending on which angle you're coming from.
mainly in refrence to planes that are not paying full attention to you, personally i tend to prioritize on the planes that are facing me or turning towards me

4. Really? Many bomber players would not take the chance and attack and randa or biplane head on like that. I agree with you about the biplane needing to be close range but the randa can do a warp shot combo from a fair distance. That being said, HC can still do reasonable damage on a bomber.
obviously not all the time, just to say that you should be confident in your ability to win in a 1v1 given equal position

honestly the boost it gives is one of my favorite parts. it moves you away from people, making you harder to hit. and the farther away you are the more likely you'll be able to aim your next shot at them. imagine a 15 degree pie wedge behind your plane where you can possibly aim, if the enemy is slightly farther away from you (but still within range) your effective arc length at their radius becomes larger. plus, its like an ****ty afterburner that mercs anyone who follows you.
hope that last part about pie made sense
Old 10-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibalsock View Post
sorry for taking up space on ur internets mled
i literally lold. good mini-guide guy
Old 10-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibalsock View Post
edit: if your ego isnt too enormous and you did want to make your guide suck a little less, please feel free to copy and paste any and all of this into it <3

roflcopter! really?

try reading before posting. all this was stated by hollywood and I in a separate guide. All i said was pointless posting.

EDIT: heres a helpful link. http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4144

Last edited by mled; 10-21-2010 at 05:34 PM.