Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:41 AM

Default altitude goes black screen when 'alt-tabbed', altitude randomly black screens itself

What happens is that when I alt-tab altitude, the screen goes black and I have to open task manager to return to the desktop. Sometimes the game even goes black screen by itself in the middle of a game.

This problem only occurs with my new computer with ati radeon 5400 hd graphics card. The problem persists after updating drivers (I updated it twice since I got the comp). Its also a windows 7 64bit.

if someone else experiences this share your comp specifics maybe we can work out a solution

edit: also worth mentioning is that altitude seems to cause other games to fail/crash if they were to be opened at the same time. This was never a problem with my old comp.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:33 AM

Happens to me too here and there. I think it might be a Win 7 problem(don't know what OS you're using). I just ctrl+alt+del for the login screen then press esc to get to the desktop, it's pretty fast once you get used to it
Old 12-05-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormich View Post
Happens to me too here and there. I think it might be a Win 7 problem(don't know what OS you're using). I just ctrl+alt+del for the login screen then press esc to get to the desktop, it's pretty fast once you get used to it
I agree. Think it's a windows 7 thing (on my desktop) cuz on my laptop (Vista) I can alt+tab fine, but for my desktop I have to ctrl+alt+del ==> cancel, but stormich's way seems faster
Old 12-06-2010, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Please try the test version from http://nimblygames.com/test/altitude.exe -- does that version exhibit the same behavior?

Have you tried "windowed fullscreen"? Edit ~Altitude/config/options.xml, change fullscreen="true" to fullscreen="false", change undecorated="false" to undecorated="true", then launch Altitude, click Options -> Graphics, and choose the highest available resolution. Same behavior?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:19 PM

I have the same issue. It doesn't happen on all alt-tabs but some. And it only happened when I updated my drivers I have a Radeon 58xx. I suspect it has to do with the OS/Driver/Hardware combo.

I have downloaded and tried the exe but cannot really use it because when logging in it doesn't seem to accept my steam credentials.

ctrl-alt-delete -> cancel sometimes solves the problem. Also repeated alt-tabbing sometimes solves the problem but the hit rate is low. Sound and other things are active, just the display is all black.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
Please try the test version from http://nimblygames.com/test/altitude.exe -- does that version exhibit the same behavior?

Have you tried "windowed fullscreen"? Edit ~Altitude/config/options.xml, change fullscreen="true" to fullscreen="false", change undecorated="false" to undecorated="true", then launch Altitude, click Options -> Graphics, and choose the highest available resolution. Same behavior?
playing in non-fullscreen seems to solve the problem
Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 PM

I registered in response to this thread so hopefully this works for you.

When I alt-tab out on Windows 7 and want to go back in, I right-click the Altitude taskbar button (which would normally bring up a jump list) and click "altitude". It should switch to the game and draw the video too. Should be faster than Stormich's method, which is what I used to do.

edit: I also played against you last night Zidane, good times!