Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious
Default Map Test Server

The map test server is now online. The map test server streamlines the process of testing new maps and collecting feedback.

To upload a map for testing:
1) Visit http://altitudegame.com/map
2) Login using your Altitude email/password (NOTE: Steam users can login by launching Altitude and clicking Options -> External Apps -> Map App)
3) Click 'Upload map', choose your exported map (*.altx) file, write a brief comment (the comment should make note of any specific feedback you're interested in; it is displayed to every user that tests your map), and click the upload button
4) Your map is now on the test server and ready for testing.

To update an existing map, repeat the steps above using a file with the same name. Users will see the version change and your new comment.

To test maps on the test server:
1) Join the server "Official Map Test - altitudegame.com/map" from the server list
2) Use the command "/newMaps" to see recently updated maps
3) Use the command "/vote loadMap MAP_NAME" to load a map for testing
NOTE: if the map is already on the server's map list this command is equivalent to changeMap; for new maps this command tells the server to update its mapList, restart, and then change to the new map.
4) Use the /rate <MAP_NAME> <1-5 stars> and /suggest <MAP_NAME> <CONSTRUCTIVE_COMMENT> commands to leave feedback for the map's creator.

[Source: http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5972]

Last edited by lamster; 02-11-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM

please remove 2 or 1 bot(s) from the server, its really hard to test the map with bots attacking you, testing for some good trick shots and stuff
Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 PM

Is it possible to create a vote_disable_bots command, which would force all bots to spec for the duration of the game, or until vote_enable_bots was passed.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 PM

this is so annoying, use easy bots pls!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

The point of the map test server is to test the playability of maps in as real a setting as possible. Ideally, this means with actual players of decent skill, but in the absence of that skilled bots will do.

If you need a server for trick shots or other "specialty" uses, I suggest that you host the map yourself or ask someone else to host it for you without bots.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:34 AM

I was thinking the same as t'ducky, but leaf, you are right, if we have like 7 people and we want to play, its a lot funnier to play whit expert bots than easy bots, but ribillas idea was great! is there any command like that?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:22 PM

If I ever want to test trick shots, or angles etc I just export it and try it out in training>skirmish.

I totally agree with tgleaf the test server should be for trying it out with other players, and when lacking decent bots with suffice. But equally they can be annoying and a custom command would be cool.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
2) Login using your Altitude email/password (NOTE: Steam users cannot upload maps yet)
This is no longer true. Steam players may access the map upload page via a link in the options of the client.

"Note: Steam users can login by launching Altitude and clicking Options->External Apps->Map App."
Old 08-13-2011, 06:41 PM

(from tbd_terrain thread)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedduck View Post
Both versions are available on the map test server!
I've been waiting nearly a month to test my map with other players. twistedduck's goes up the day of? If the process is automated, there is no error stating what I did wrong. If the process is manual, there was no one that said anything of what I did wrong.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki1024 View Post
(from tbd_terrain thread) I've been waiting nearly a month to test my map with other players. twistedduck's goes up the day of? If the process is automated, there is no error stating what I did wrong. If the process is manual, there was no one that said anything of what I did wrong.
Steps to get your map on the test server.

(Standalone User) go to http://www.altitudegame.com/map/ -> login with your altitude email and password -> upload map -> go to map test server -> type: /vote_loadmap_<mapname> (/vote_loadmap_tbd_terrain) Server restarts -> Reconnect and there you go.

(Steam User) Options -> Account -> External Apps -> Map App -> upload map -> go to map test server -> type: /vote_loadmap_<mapname> (/vote_loadmap_tbd_terrain) Server restarts -> Reconnect to play your map!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Your map is available for testing within seconds of uploading. To test your map on the test server please follow the instructions in the original post of this thread:
Quote:
Use the command "/vote loadMap MAP_NAME" to load a map for testing
To use a command you first press "enter" (to bring up the chat box) or "F3" (to bring up the console) and then type
/vote loadMap MAP_NAME
Followed by "enter" once again to submit the command.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
/vote loadMap MAP_NAME
Thank you. I read that as /vote changeMap MAP_NAME and never saw the map on the list.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 PM

The test server has been down for about a month and a half. Is it down for good? Was there problems with it?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the report -- it's back online now.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 PM

Thanks! I was wondering where it went.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:03 AM

/vote loadMap doesn't seem to be loading the map at all. It's been a while but I think I did it correctly.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:17 AM

I'm seeing the same thing. Tried loading tbd_hex and the server didn't reset or appear to do anything outside of UI showing voting worked.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Should be fixed now.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Should be fixed now.
Thank you.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the report -- it's back online now.
Bump.

Turns out when the reboot happened most old maps got cleared from the server. There are all still on the website, but I need to /vote Load some of my old maps (ball_station, tbd_leaf) in order to play them again. I don't know if you've played recently, but the current map pool is extremely limited.

This means no tbd_metropolis, tbd_maze, tbd_santcum, ball_maimer, ball_tron, tbd_siege, etc. All great maps.

Is there a way to "mass load" all these missing maps onto the server? I'd be willing to load a few favorites myself.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 PM

I cannot find the server! is it working? did the name for it change?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Should be back online now, thanks for the report.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:56 PM

Nice. It is working. Thanks!

Note: you should update the first post . The name starts with "Official".
Old 02-12-2012, 04:59 PM

The server is down again
Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Administrator

One of the co-op maps is crashing the server by overloading the network object pool with thousands of turret bullets. Please do not test maps that involve ridiculous turret spam as that will crash the server. I'll add a failsafe to limit turret spam in the next patch, but the best fix for now is to adjust the map or not play on it.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I'll add a failsafe to limit turret spam in the next patch, but the best fix for now is to adjust the map or not play on it.
Could you elaborate on that? How would it affect coop or would it?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Administrator

If your map doesn't crash now, then it shouldn't be affected. Maps with too many turrets firing too quickly will have bullets suppressed.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:39 PM

lamster, what map was it? Do you know by any chance?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Administrator

I think the latest crash was 1de_coop_shade -- no idea whether that map was also responsible for previous crashes.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Thank you, I warned him to fix it before I put it on the sandbox. It's a nice map, just needs to not crash the server. We've had other issues with maps on the sandbox servers, none that are crippling though. For example some maps kick people (kick as in drop them from the server) on loading the map, but then play fine after they rejoin. Doesn't really bother us too much.

Last edited by corrado33; 02-13-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:47 AM

Yes, I believe the map was made by Wellington. He contacted me today in regards to the issue, and through talking with him I asked him what the fire rate of his turrets was. He said it was something like 0.05, with 50 of those rets firing at the same time. He decreased it to a more manageable rate of 0.4.

Now I do know on my map (mineshaft) I have a couple of rets that fire at an incredibly high rate of speed. However, I only have two at maximum firing at the same time. Is this a problem, and will it be affected by this patch of which you mention, lamster?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:20 PM

The map test server is malfuctioning greatly. Scores of (relatively) old maps are being booted from the server on a regular basis. I already made a post about it, Lamster, but it wasn't addressed. http://altitudegame.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=20

As of March 7 there is only one TBD map, 5 ball maps, and over a dozen co-op maps. I'm not sure what is causing these older maps to be removed from the server. Considering the majority of the maps are co-op, I personally I believe it is linked to these maps. I haven't observed all of them, but the ones I've seen are very large and contain many special objects (mainly turrets). Additionally, they have been uploading these maps very, very quickly (sometimes 4 in a day). Combining the scale and complexity of these maps, and the extremely high rate they are being uploaded, I think it's possible these maps could be causing the problem.

Please look into what is causing this.

Last edited by Flexio; 03-07-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexio View Post
The map test server is malfuctioning greatly. Scores of (relatively) old maps are being booted from the server on a regular basis. I already made a post about it, Lamster, but it wasn't addressed. http://altitudegame.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=20

As of March 7 there is only one TBD map, 5 ball maps, and over a dozen co-op maps. I'm not sure what is causing these older maps to be removed from the server. Considering the majority of the maps are co-op, I personally I believe it is linked to these maps. I haven't observed all of them, but the ones I've seen are very large and contain many special objects (mainly turrets). Additionally, they have been doing uploading these maps very, very quickly (sometimes 4 in a day). Combining the scale and complexity of these maps, and the extremely high rate they are being uploaded, I think it's possible these maps could be causing the problem.

Please look into what is causing this.
I've noticed all the same things, Also I try to upload version of a map, and then vote load another map. My previous new version that I was trying to upload switches back to the old version. I don't know if that makes any sense, but yes, it is screwing up a lot.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The map test server is malfuctioning greatly. Scores of (relatively) old maps are being booted from the server on a regular basis.
It looks to me like it's working as intended. For technical reasons the map test server rotation is limited to 30 maps at any given time. As new maps are loaded older maps are removed; old maps can be restored by a /vote loadMap whenever you'd like to test them (bumping them back to the top of the 30 map rotation).

The primary goal of the map test server is to provide an easily-deployed-to testing arena. It's up to the map creator (or another interested party) to recruit other players for high quality play sessions and feedback.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM

Lamster: We loadmap'ed ball_skylands, and it was version 3. We played it a few times. After that we loadmap'ed ball_cliff, and ball_skylands reverted to version 2. I don't recall if ball_cliff had been bumped off the list, or if it was an update/initial release of the map.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki1024 View Post
Lamster: We loadmap'ed ball_skylands, and it was version 3. We played it a few times. After that we loadmap'ed ball_cliff, and ball_skylands reverted to version 2. I don't recall if ball_cliff had been bumped off the list, or if it was an update/initial release of the map.
Yeah that's very weird. I'll look into it.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM

Yeah, aki explained it much better lol
Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 PM

Please remove Co-op maps and fun maps from the test server, people just abuse it :/ they upload so many maps that are bad and move the good ones away from the server, and that's coming from an active co-op player..
New players from the free weekend or the normal ones won't buy the game if they see maps like these and since co-op is not official, maybe not allow them on the 'official' map test server?
It also makes co-op and the test server look bad and is no fun for any of us :/

Who agrees with me ?

Last edited by TwistedDuck; 03-08-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedDuck View Post
Please remove Co-op maps and fun maps from the test server, people just abuse it :/ they upload so many maps that are bad and move the good ones away from the server, and that's coming from an active co-op player..
New players from the free weekend or the normal ones won't buy the game if they see maps like these and since co-op is not official, maybe not allow them from the 'official' map test server?
It also makes co-op and the test server look bad and is no fun for any of us :/

Who agrees with me ?
I do. It's ridiculous to say the least.

There are too many coop maps uploaded and most are not that great to say the least.

Last edited by Jesus; 03-07-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:28 PM

I agree totally, they are taking over and pushing all the real maps off. I think there are only 3 ball maps left on the server. I think that coop should not be aloud to be on the server period. Maybe make a new server for them, or just don't allow it, either way. This needs to stop.