Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:37 AM

Assuming the current website is the one we're referencing, I think it looks great.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:02 AM

Perhaps use some fonts that aren't obviously stock. I could make that on publisher in 10 mins.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:58 AM

You are all acting like the site design is some sort of destructive menace.

How did you come across the game?

I'll tell you how I found it - a bunch of guys on another website wanted to play a new game together. Considering our varying economic status', computers, availability, and effort required, the number of games was somewhat limited.

Altitude happened to be releasing on Steam that weekend, and someone suggested it. A few people played out the demo, said it was fun, cheap, and not graphically intense or time consuming.

So a bunch more of us downloaded it, and most of us bought it. We didn't look at the website and say, "wow that looks so cool." I don't think I even read a word about the game until weeks after I bought it. I downloaded the demo because my friends told me it was cool and fit my needs.

Many of the posters here may need to accept Altitude for what it is for many people - a cheap, fun, time waster that basically any computer owner can play.

A new tact may be in order - have you considered pushing Altitude as a Mario Kart-esque development? e.g., - Altitude is in essence a sport - hockey, soccer, basketball...whichever...a sport with ridiculous planes as the players, oh yea...and guns!

I'm no marketing expert, but there was a reason Mario Kart appealed to a lot of people who previously didn't like fighting games and didn't like racing games.

"Challenge your friends to a lightning paced game of soccer, 30,000 feet in the air."
Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Website is a moot point, I've never been happy with any of our 5 iterations and non of the iterations made a significant difference.

Steam promotion is the most important thing followed by Altitude players getting their friends to play. The website makes about a %1 difference, even our old cave website performed basically the same.

We have no plans on spending anymore money or time on the website.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 AM

i found the game on Apple store never even botehred with the website to be honest

just dl'ed it and played and bought the game the same day ^^
it was 19.99 -.-
Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwu View Post
i found the game on Apple store never even botehred with the website to be honest

it was 19.99 -.-
SAMEHERE, found it on Apple site.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:35 PM

As did I.. lol

Payed $14.99 cuz it was like a Thanksgiving sale
Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

Heh I was a demo loopy for about a month
Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwu View Post

it was 19.99 -.-
Same, but I didn't buy it for a little less than a month, when Kuja's nice aura dragged me in.

Any way it could be put on the app store for macs or would you have to recode it or something?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggomyeggo View Post
Same, but I didn't buy it for a little less than a month, when Kuja's nice aura dragged me in.

Any way it could be put on the app store for macs or would you have to recode it or something?
it used to be in the app store but like apple went all genocidal on java stuff or something iirc
Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 PM

I actually found it from the website, no idea how I found it, but w/e. I then played the demo for about a year, forgot about the game (new computer), and then re found it when it was on sale on steam for about £4 :P
Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

I too, was referred to Altitude by the Apple website.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos.../altitude.html

Too bad the downloads section will probably be closed due to the launching of the Mac App Store.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Website is a moot point, I've never been happy with any of our 5 iterations and non of the iterations made a significant difference.

Steam promotion is the most important thing followed by Altitude players getting their friends to play. The website makes about a %1 difference, even our old cave website performed basically the same.

We have no plans on spending anymore money or time on the website.
Absolutely sensible, except...

Partners like Steam are likely to check your website and use it to help form an impression of you. For now this isn't a big deal since you already have a relationship with Valve and their approach to Alt is fairly settled, but what about the next game? Or if you decide to try to port to PSN or XBox Live someday?

Website coverage could also be affected if you ever get into a situation where that becomes important again. Journalists are less likely to take you seriously if you don't have a decent website. ("decent" meaning: it appeals to that particular journalist's tastes.)

This will also affect relationships with anyone you guys meet at a game convention or similar event. They'll take your business card, go home, and if they're at all interested... they check the website.

This might also be an issue if you ever grow enough to hire more people. Speaking as a game developer who's spent some time looking for work, that site would be an instant dealbreaker for me. I always check the site for a company after I see their job ad, and if a certain level of professionalism / likability isn't there, I don't bother to apply. I can afford to be picky, so I'm happy to throw out the occasional good company based on this since 9/10 of the time it's the right call.

In short, you're right - your website isn't about getting users anymore. But it is still the online face of your company. I'm not saying that you should dump a bunch of money or time into it, but you should go with the option that you think best represents you to the type of people I'm describing above. They'll each have different needs/interests, but I think it's safe to say that they all would respond better to previous iterations than to what's up now.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 PM

I like the website a lot now, good job.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Looks sexily good.

EDIT: Might want to point out that the download is a free demo.

Last edited by Ribilla; 05-12-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 PM

Oh yeah that is muchhhh better. Those 3D explodet and TBD base models look hawt.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:18 AM
Administrator

lol, I just reverted back to our website from Sept 2009... It's the best performer we've ever had (which isn't saying a lot)

Last edited by Karl; 05-13-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

Nice move Karl, it looks a lot better this way.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 PM

the current one beats the last two imo
Old 05-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed, I think this is the best one. Fits the game and looks nice and polished.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:57 PM

I also agree, this one is the best fit, it's cartoony but not too cartoony, it's tough but not too tough. Good job.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:05 PM

I still think changing 'Download' to 'Free demo' would help and having a 'buy full game' link.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 PM

i like it, it stalled a little when loading but when its done its nice! anyway you can put a cover picture for the video before it starts? like the nimbly games startup wrighting or the altitude sign!?