Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:07 PM

Default ball_decimal

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................

Download Here

Presenting DECIMAL.

After my two warm up maps, I've taken a little more time on this one. The outlines are non-collisional parallax and slightly transparent.

It's on the test server. Please let me know what you think.

Dimensions: X: 3700px Y: 1636px

Current Version: v17.0

-----------------
Edit V2. See V2 here. Slight Colour changes.
-----------------
Edit V3. See V3 here. Removal of large backdoor exit from spawn locations. Big graphics boost.
-----------------
Edit V4. See V4 here. Goal areas changed to fit around goals. Metallic effect goals added.
-----------------
Edit V5. See V5 here. Spawn order changed slightly. But I've mainly have been trying (and failing) to fix a problem with the background - where the slices join it flashes, not very much, but it's annoying.
-----------------
Edit V6. See V6 here. Spawn order sorted. Changed the backdoor from spawn points. Changed goals effect slightly. Added and moved power-ups as well as adding background button in the power-up locations (which looks freakin' awesome when the power-ups fade in on top!). Added a stripe to the parallax border, changed opacity to 50% instead of 40%, and removed parallax inside blocks. Removed some marks from outer wall.
-----------------
Edit V7. See V7 Here. Spawn order changed again. Changed the backdoor from spawn points making it easier for all planes to get through, rather than just randas and loopies. Shortened one obstacle, as suggested by Flexio (thanks man it does look better!). Compressed it! It's no longer 5.8mb but a respectable 1.4mb.
-----------------
Edit V8. Created a bit more room by reducing the size of the bottom right (red) and bottom left (blue) objects - it's was a bit too narrow and whales would make light work of any attacking planes there. Redone the graphics - as editing over time had messed up bits slightly. Increased the size of the parallax border slightly, as well as changing the graphic to be less distracting. Adjusted the backdoor, so it didn't look so out of place. Changed the team power up to health only.
-----------------
Edit V9. Fine tuned all of the collision outlines, there shouldn't be anymore strange bounces of the corners. Changed graphics to larger tiles so it's not so blurry when moving.
-----------------
Edit V10. See V10 here. Finally figured out how to properly import images (better late then never), so the background now isn't split up with flashing lines.
-----------------
Edit V11. See V11 here. Removed tiny block that was in the backdoor from the spawn point. Removed some 1/4 sized blocks along the bottom for smoother self passing and clearing.
-----------------
Edit V12. See V12 here. Added an extra block on the main exit top path (I meant to do this in the last update but forgot)
-----------------
Edit V13. See V13 here. Moved the spawn location close to the middle to prevent spawning planes arriving a defense like lightning. Shortened the object in front of the goal to provide more room and open up shots a bit.
-----------------
Edit V14. See V14 here. Changed spawn area removing the backdoor exit (mush to my disappointment) but it was necessary and does look better. Changed spawn area. Changed plane spawns from 7 to 6 and ordered neatly. changed objects in front of goals.
-----------------
Edit V15. See V15 here. Big texture change, it's not so bright and colourful now, which seemed to put people off. Changed the goal textures, made them look old and rusty. Lightened the background for better contrast, and so doesn't look quite so moody and depressive ^^ Removed a block at top near the goal, and made and indentation there too.
-----------------
Edit V16. See V16here. Darkened the background. Changed the parallax border so it now fades outwards. Added a moving shadow, to give the map some depth. Darkened the bottom of the objects to add more depth. Changed the goals.
-----------------
Edit V17. COLOUR to the Objects! Changed goals.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................

Please let me know what you think. This version is on ladder, it is also on the test server. I want to know peoples thoughts, especially those involving the new textures/colours/border; are they better than the old ones?

Also I'm thinking about changing the name, anyone got a suggestion?
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................

Thanks to everyone who's given me input and advice, it has really helped!
And a massive thank you to XX2 his advice has been mindblowingly helpful!

Last edited by Solqom; 06-09-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:17 PM

Looks like your best map yet
Old 05-13-2011, 11:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

I likeeee.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:17 AM

looks cool.

your maps looks like..

ball_moon = asteroids

ball_bubbles = planepark

ball_decimal = labyrinth
Old 05-14-2011, 02:23 AM

I think the more appropriate term is 'inspired by'...
I really like them- each familiar but definitely unique.
Decimal is hard to bounce pass/shot because of the little divets. I don't count that as a negative.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:37 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys! if anyone has anything they think could make it better or spot any bugs please let me know. I'd also really like to know how well this plays 6v6, so please keep me posted.

On another note: The only way this is similar to labyrinth is that it has a transparent parallax border, that's it. Yes that one particular feature is 'inspired by' labyrinth - but not the whole map, not the layout, not the size, nothing but the parallax border. So please no more comments saying how much this looks like labyrinth - it looks nothing like it.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Excellent map, just a few points after playing it by myself:

- Love the graphical overlay on the goals, that isn't done often
- The team power-ups below the goal don't spawn shields, don't know if that's intentional.
- I think it could use more normal power-ups, maybe somewhere on the low route.
- Uniform spawns would be nice, you could put them all at an angle or maybe straight, I think that would be cool.
- Bottom route is too crowded, consider shortening the objects circled in red.
- The object circled in green sort of messes up the central flow of the map, consider lowering it
- The tiny square circled in yellow can often prevent bounce-shots off the long platform to the goal; consider removing it unless it was intentionally preventing those.

Overall great map, I think it has some potential if you spend more time on it.

Looking forward to more progress
Old 05-15-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexio View Post
- Love the graphical overlay on the goals, that isn't done often
- The team power-ups below the goal don't spawn shields, don't know if that's intentional.
- I think it could use more normal power-ups, maybe somewhere on the low route.
- Uniform spawns would be nice, you could put them all at an angle or maybe straight, I think that would be cool.
- Bottom route is too crowded, consider shortening the objects circled in red.
- The object circled in green sort of messes up the central flow of the map, consider lowering it
- The tiny square circled in yellow can often prevent bounce-shots off the long platform to the goal; consider removing it unless it was intentionally preventing those.
Thanks for the suggestions Flexio, I really appreciate the effort you've gone to.

1- It didn't seem right having all these effects everywhere and then normal goals - looked funny so I made some up

2- Yes I left out shields intentionally, maybe it's just me but I see these more as an attacking power-up with little use defensively, and so pointless in that location. I might be wrong though, please correct me if i am.

3- More power-ups were needed, so I've added some and changed the locations slightly - I just hope it doesn't become a power-up fest now though.

4- Originally I had tried to place the spawning locations for more efficiency of getting the ball at the start or, for a few, to have easier access to the "backdoor" of the spawning sites. But I don't think it worked too well so I've changed it to a more regimented order for now. (Might change it in the future)

Now we get on to the trickier stuff. Most of my obstacles especially the ones that effect shot lines to the goals have been placed and designed for specific reasons.
Personally I don't feel it is too crowded down the bottom, it is a bit busier than the other routes granted, but I don't think it's any more crowded than ball_asteroids.
Edit.(Now after removing the red circled objects top block it does seem to balance things out a bit - maybe it was a bit crowded)

5- The objects circled in red, are there for two reasons; the first being that there is a nice bounce shot off the top, for when the goal is undefended. And the second is to force players to fly lower and increase the general difficulty of the bottom route. The reason for this is I find it becomes pretty tedious when the only part of a map that is played is the bottom. Did you mean "shorten" like this? -->(see bottom image)

6- The objects circled in green are to stop across map missiles, and to break up the middle path a little, also to give a little cover to attacking planes. If they were lowered the space below it would be too narrow.

7- The 1/4 squares circled in yellow are there to make it a bit harder to do a shot between the green and red circled objects. Most bounce shots would need to bounce off the last normal sized square (closest to the goal). But yes it is there to make shots harder.

Well that's the reasoning behind most of it, if enough people think things should be changed then obviously I will. But as it stands I'm pretty happy with it.

Concept:

Actually with the top block cut off that it does make things a bit nicer, I might change it to that tomorrow. I'll miss my nice bounce shot though :[
I can see what you were thinking now (I think), with this bit shortened the green circled object would lower nicely. But the reasons for it (the green circled object) to stay out weigh the reasons for it not to in my opinion.

Thanks again man.

Solq

Last edited by Solqom; 05-15-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:35 AM

······························· DECIMAL v7.0 ·······························

New update released. Notes are in the first post (or below).

·······························

Edit V7 notes: Spawn order changed again. Changed the backdoor from spawn points making it easier for all planes to get through, rather than just randas and loopies. Shortened one obstacle, as suggested by Flexio (thanks man it does look better!). Compressed it! It's no longer 5.8mb but a respectable 1.4mb.

Two more changes to come soon:

1. Create a bit more room by reducing the size of the bottom right (red) and bottom left (blue) objects - it's currently a bit too narrow and whales would make light work of any attacking planes there.
2. Where the background gets sliced automatically and the joining sections leave a small white line that flashes annoyingly.
If anyone knows how to stop this it would really help - as I am clueless =/

Last edited by Solqom; 05-16-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:24 AM

just to be clear, the outlines are non-collidable like the ones in labyrinth, right
Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

i don't know if this was discussed, but 5.2mb or whatever it was when i downloaded it is way too big for a map imo. compress!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
i don't know if this was discussed, but 5.2mb or whatever it was when i downloaded it is way too big for a map imo. compress!
oh yea that's a good point, absolutely HUGE maps (by filesize) top out at about 2mb
Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
just to be clear, the outlines are non-collidable like the ones in labyrinth, right
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solqom View Post
The striped outlines are non-collisional parallax and slightly transparent.

Please read the edit notes, or main post. Sometimes a pictures doesn't say a 1000 words.

Last edited by Solqom; 05-16-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solqom View Post
Compressed it! It's no longer 5.8mb but a respectable 1.4mb.

Please read the edit notes in future.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 PM

······························· DECIMAL v8.0 ·······························

Edit V8. Created a bit more room by reducing the size of the bottom right (red) and bottom left (blue) objects - it's was a bit too narrow and whales would make light work of any attacking planes there. Redone the graphics - as editing over time had messed up bits slightly. Increased the size of the parallax border slightly, as well as changing the graphic to be less distracting. Adjusted the backdoor, so it didn't look so out of place. Changed the team power up to health only.

······························· DECIMAL v9.0 ·······························

Edit V9. Fine tuned all of the collision outlines, there shouldn't be anymore strange bounces of the corners. Changed graphics to larger tiles so it's not so blurry when moving.

······························· DECIMAL v10.0 ·······························

Edit V10. Finally figured out how to properly import images (better late then never!), so the background now isn't split up with flashing lines.

Last edited by Solqom; 05-20-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:15 AM

······························· DECIMAL v11.0 ·······························

Edit V11. Removed the tiny block that was in the backdoor from the spawn point. Removed some 1/4 sized blocks along the bottom for smoother self passing and clearing.

Last edited by Solqom; 05-26-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:13 PM

······························· DECIMAL v12.0 ·······························

New update released.

Please update your servers.

Notes are in the first post (or below).

V12. Added an extra block on the main exit top path (I meant to do this in the last update but forgot)
Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 AM

······························· DECIMAL v13.0 ·······························

New update released.

V13 notes: Moved the spawn location closer to the middle to prevent spawning planes arriving in defense like lightning. Shortened the object in front of the goal to provide more room and open up shots a bit.

Last edited by Solqom; 05-26-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:18 PM

updated ladder
Old 05-27-2011, 01:55 AM

······························· DECIMAL v14.0 ·······························

New update released.

Please DO NOT update your servers as there will be a new update tomorrow.

V14 Notes: Changed spawn area removing the backdoor exit (much to my disappointment) but it was necessary and does look better. Changed spawn area. Changed plane spawns from 7 to 6 and ordered neatly. changed objects in front of goals.

Tomorrow I will be changing the texture and colours. People do not seem to like them at the moment :[

Last edited by Solqom; 05-27-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:36 PM

······························· DECIMAL v15.0 ·······························

New update released.

Please DO update your servers.

Edit V15. Big texture change, it's not so bright and colourful now, which seemed to put people off. Changed the goal textures, made them look old and rusty. Lightened the background for better contrast, and so doesn't look quite so moody and depressive ^^ Removed a block at top near the goal, and made and indentation there too.

Please let me know what you think. This version is on ladder, it is also on the test server. I want to know peoples thoughts, especially those involving the new textures/colours; are they better than the old ones?

Last edited by Solqom; 05-27-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:44 PM

lookin good man, ladder servers are updated to v15
Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 PM

······························· DECIMAL v16.0 ·······························

New update released.

Edit V16. Darkened the background. Changed the parallax border so it now fades outwards. Added a moving shadow, to give the map some depth. Darkened the bottom of the objects to add more depth. Changed the goals.

Please let me know what you think. This version will soon be on ladder, it is also on the test server. I want to know peoples thoughts, especially those involving the new textures/colours/border; are they better than the old ones?

Also I'm thinking about changing the name, anyone got a suggestion?

Last edited by Solqom; 06-01-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 PM

ball_godsbathroomfloor
Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Greekjr14 Send a message via Skype™ to Greekjr14

Why not just darken the red and blue a little instead of making it straight up black and white? Personally I liked the colorful texture of the map, made me actually love a ball map. BTW my favorite version was 13.

Last edited by Greekjr14; 06-01-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemp12 View Post
ball_godsbathroomfloor
Haha, thanks. That's better than the "ball_prisontoiletfloor" suggested by the guys in ladder ^^

It's not quite what I'm looking for though.

Maybe ball_decimate it's not too different to its current name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekjr14 View Post
Why not just darken the red and blue a little instead of making it straight up black and white? Personally I liked the colorful texture of the map, made me actually love a ball map. BTW my favorite version was 13.
I can't win :[

Some say the colours are horrible and others like them.

At the moment it isn't straight up black and white, the marble tiles are actually slightly green (although this is barely noticeable).

I actually agree with you, to some degree, without colour it does seem a bit weird. But then with colour also seems strange now. Below is a colour version I just mocked up and the original next to it for direct comparison.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 PM

I'd probably prefer the color version with those darker colors! Looks pretty awesome.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:34 PM

this color version is much better
Old 06-04-2011, 12:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Greekjr14 Send a message via Skype™ to Greekjr14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorPayne257 View Post
I'd probably prefer the color version with those darker colors! Looks pretty awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
this color version is much better
COLORS WIN! haha
Old 06-06-2011, 10:34 PM

······························· DECIMAL v17.0 ·······························

New update released.

Edit V17. COLOUR to the Objects! Changed goals.