Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:15 AM

Default ball_pipedream

ball_pipedream
For your balling pleasure

If you liked ball_pegs, and ball_sewer (maybe like 2 of you), I think this might be your kind of map. I tried to go with a dreamish kind of color scheme, so take that for what it's worth. Also there are some parallax clouds that don't show up in this screenshot but I think they add a nice touch. Putting this up on the map testing server now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7za138hde10s1ls
Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Confuse imo. Its just too much. Imo, make it simple.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrad View Post
Confuse imo. Its just too much. Imo, make it simple.
I won't.

chars.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:24 AM

Old 05-28-2011, 08:15 PM

My opinion: delete everything outlined in green. The little dots serve no purpose except to give whales more things to crash people in to and mirandas more things to hide behind.

The outlines around the spawn area are just to make entry and exit more smooth and less crash prone.

Another quirk of your maps is how skinny all tunnels are. I don't really like that because it forces a plane to commit to a route with no possibility of changing direction until it leaves the tunnel.

My2c

Old 05-28-2011, 08:26 PM

I think you may be right with regards to all of the squares, I did this layout a LOONG time ago, after pegs and sewer I think, and I was still in the mindset that people like those layouts, but I think it's just me. Anyway, what I think I'll do is take some of them out as you suggest and also fill in some of the space in the bottom corners as shown in the image to make the map feel a bit smaller. Since I still like the original version I'll make the proposed changes and call it something like pipedreamlite and still keep the old one around. I kind of feel like there's no point in making maps if I can't get anyone to play them with me (), and I think the original version of this map is one of those cases.

[/URL]
Old 05-28-2011, 08:40 PM

I agree with the bottom corners...I did a second iteration just now with some ideas that I think would make it a pretty solid map

First, the spawn. I really do think ball spawns make more sense to be angled down into the action...I left a "backdoor" to the spawn going out to the top item, since you seem to like two-way spawns.

As mentioned, delete everything with an X on it. This will free up some passing and maneuvering space and weaken the explodet and miranda (always a good thing).

Third, as you mentioned, close off the corners.

Fourth, the middle barrier...add a "pipe" into it, drawn as above.

Fifth, have a similarly sized "pipe" in the right/left lower thingys. Whatever size you want for both, I personally think slightly larger (if a bomber can turn around in it I like it) but it's your call.

Six, link the two dots below the goal, as opposed to deleting them. This will help cordone off the lower entry and make it a little more interesting.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 PM

I like the joining of those mini pieces on the bottom-ish corners, and I think I'm on board with the other changes as well, let me work up the layout real quick and I'll post the layout if you're going to be around for a few minutes, and tell me what you think. Also just a side note to everyone, I know in the past I've sort of ignored feedback about my maps and not really changed anything, but I DO read feedback, but sometimes I'm kind of reluctant to change anything, but now I think I'm going to try and make maps that more people will enjoy playing not just me. In fact there's a layout I've been wanting to make and perhaps a new process for me will to be to just post up a layout and get some feedback on it and make some changes and then color it up.

ANYWAY.. give me a few minutes here and I'll post up the altered layout.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:06 PM

Ok, lemme know what you think, also anyone else with some input on this matter feel free to chime in.

Last edited by Polio; 05-28-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 PM

I think getting rid of the "L" shape (I use this term loosely) object closest to the bottom corners is still the way to go...it just seems too crowded down there

I think the middle section of the map, from goal to goal, looks very good now.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:23 PM

Check the layout now, I didn't notice the x's on those objects in your response earlier, I think it's looking pretty playable now.