Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:10 AM

Default Number of Rounds

I just started a Hockey map server. I wanted to have three periods, like real hockey, so I set it to three five-minute rounds. I figured that would be really cool.

It is almost identical to just having five-minute matches, except it only changes teams once every three rounds. It's really not clear that this is going on at all. This is a cool feature, but it needs a little help.

1. Show the overall score too, not just the round score. So I have a 9-point maximum. First to five wins, 5-2, on to the next round. Next round is 5-4, same team wins, now it's 10-6 overall. The other team needs to win 5-1 or 4-0 (on time) to tie or better to win overall.

2. The break between rounds should fundamentally look different so everyone knows the teams aren't changing. Make it say "Intermission". Show the round-by-round score in a big table so people can tell really easily that the game has multiple rounds and is in progress.

3. If multiple rounds have point caps, call this an early win and end the game without the final round if there is no possibility of winning. If I get shut out 5-0, 5-0 in the first two rounds, I can at best make it 10-5, but still I would lose. So just do that and change up the teams early. Nobody wants to be a part of a landslide.

4. Download my hockey map - it's pretty good. Set up your own servers for hockey, and use this new map and new multi-period settings to get highlighted on Steam. Have a free Hockey-themed weekend to draw in new players.

Yeah, think big pals! I just want lots of people to play Hockey with, because I really love this map. I think it's great that it's a lot harder for the ball to get stuck. I can't wait to see what kind of play ensues by using the space *behind* the net. I like the layout of the powerups, too - it seems easier to find one although it's the exact same amount.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:33 AM

White background burns my eyes.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

This idea of rounds does need to be explored. It would be cool to be able to configure a server to run a best of 5 match (with /starttournament on) with specified maps in a certain order and to keep track of which team wins 3 games first. Although I guess there'd have to be a break between maps to allow for team subs, new plane composition, etc. Maybe there could be a /vote startround and /vote stopround (or /vote pauseround and /vote resumeround) command for players .
Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 AM

I think the idea of timed games itself is very interesting. (I know how people feel about football servers) But as an example, It can be pretty intense and exciting in a timed football server. It could make it more like sports.