Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:17 AM

Default Suggestion: Less rage

Seems like every time I play anymore, half the losing team ends up raging over who's fault it is. Do I think my teammate should have used a different plane or had a different playstyle? He must be a homosexual and his mother a whore. Seriously, if you think someone else should be doing something different, say it in a way that might possibly make them consider changing.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:40 AM

+1 Nade

I'll let a random team combination slide until about the 2nd goal. If things aren't working I'll either change planes to suit our needs or request a switch. Maybe even throw a suggestion to a player with a more luxurious plane set-up.

Kindness and cocaine is the way to a hooker's heart :--)
Old 06-14-2011, 06:50 AM

My experience is that most of the time the worst player rages the most, so you just have to ignore it, even if it's difficult.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 AM

Yeah and some people just like to get a rise out of others. All part of ladder culture. Today there was some particularly weird rage around though. Don't think that was typical. You can hit good stretches that are literally rage free too. Just depends what personalities happen to be around.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakospeter91 View Post
My experience is that most of the time the worst player rages the most, so you just have to ignore it, even if it's difficult.
Not that difficult after all ... just use /mutePlayer command. I have already muted so many people on ladder, that it's actually quite enjoyable to play now.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 PM

As a clan leader I can't - or at least I feel like I can't - mute anyone. But yeah, that's an option
Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakospeter91 View Post
As a clan leader I can't - or at least I feel like I can't - mute anyone. But yeah, that's an option
Being a clan leader doesn't mean you have to suffer "free speech" of all the morons on the ladder :-)
Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadespam View Post
Seems like every time I play anymore, half the losing team ends up raging over who's fault it is. Do I think my teammate should have used a different plane or had a different playstyle? He must be a homosexual and his mother a whore. Seriously, if you think someone else should be doing something different, say it in a way that might possibly make them consider changing.
Some people don't seem to be able to consider properly. I'm new to the ladder but very aware of why raging is so common. Today's example: in 5v5 TBD we had two lasers including me. I'm rather new to the game and only capable of playing laser well in the context of TBD. Everyone requested the other player to switch plane, but he wouldn't, providing arguments such as: "because I have more kills than you", which wasn't even true and a thoroughly stupid argument. "you are also a laser, you can change too", which is true but read above (me changing would be worse than me staying laser whether he is laser or not). More of this kind of arguments were displayed by this player and yet not a single constructive one. This kind of player ruins everything for his team and thus the game, just so he doesn't have to give in. You can all say it's just a game but this is just very spiteful and childish behaviour IMO. I mean, ****ing grow up. This is obviously not easily possible for everyone so I'd suggest creating a system that enables dealing with these kind of situations without severely interrupting the game. I assume this is impossible for us Alti attenders though.

Last edited by Knipchip; 06-14-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knipchip View Post
Some people don't seem to be able to consider properly. I'm new to the ladder but very aware of why raging is so common. Today's example: in 5v5 TBD we had two lasers including me. I'm rather new to the game and only capable of playing laser well in the context of TBD. Everyone requested the other player to switch plane, but he wouldn't, providing arguments such as: "because I have more kills than you", which wasn't even true and a thoroughly stupid argument. "you are also a laser, you can change too", which is true but read above (me changing would be worse than me staying laser whether he is laser or not). More of this kind of arguments were displayed by this player and yet not a single constructive one. This kind of player ruins everything for his team and thus the game, just so he doesn't have to give in. You can all say it's just a game but this is just very spiteful and childish behaviour IMO. I mean, ****ing grow up. This is obviously not easily possible for everyone so I'd suggest creating a system that enables dealing with these kind of situations without severely interrupting the game. I assume this is impossible for us Alti attenders though.

Have you considered that the person believes that you changing to a nonlaser would be less detrimental to the team than him changing to a nonlaser? It may be true that you are bad at all nonlasers, but perhaps he is simply mediocre at nonlasers as well. He may have thought that changing from two lasers (one mediocre and one good) to a a good laser and a bad nonlaser (if you had changed) is less of a loss than changing from two lasers to a mediocre nonlaser and a mediocre laser (if he had changed). If you look at it this way, the guy wasn't being stubborn and childish, but merely doing what he believed to be the best for the team.

The point in all this is not that I am accusing you of having did the wrong thing, but that there are tons of ways to look at different situations in the game and that everybody has a different view on what is the best course of action to take. In the context of the middle of the game though with mere 7 second spawn times in which you have to type, there is no way for discussion to occur in order for the team to agree on a best strategy besides one person telling another "plz change planes", which is not the most convincing of arguments. Such differences in viewpoints and such dearth of time in which to express them is what causes people to rage at each other in lack of understanding.

In the end though I believe that the best players are the ones that have a versatile skill set that can change to complement the skills of their randomly-given team. Such a player, who is able to switch planes when asking a teammate "plz switch" fails to work, will in the end tend to win more simply because he does not face as many situations in which his team's composition is inadequate, because he is able to fill the gaps in as necessary.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
This seems to me to be the root of much ladder rage... the fact that people think it's "childish behavior" to not get their way, without even considering the possibility that other people have different opinions. Disagreements in how to win is probably where that rage comes from. I for one know that once you get decent at a plane, it's almost impossible to switch planes without people getting angry because they can't imagine you being able to play anything else, because their opinion is so shaped around the old plane. What's really childish, like Nade said, are the insults that people resort to just because they want a scapegoat for losing, not the people who want to play any plane as well as they can.

Last edited by Fartface; 06-15-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post
Quote:
Have you considered that the person believes that you changing to a nonlaser would be less detrimental to the team than him changing to a nonlaser? It may be true that you are bad at all nonlasers, but perhaps he is simply mediocre at nonlasers as well. He may have thought that changing from two lasers (one mediocre and one good) to a a good laser and a bad nonlaser (if you had changed) is less of a loss than changing from two lasers to a mediocre nonlaser and a mediocre laser (if he had changed). If you look at it this way, the guy wasn't being stubborn and childish, but merely doing what he believed to be the best for the team.

The point in all this is not that I am accusing you of having did the wrong thing, but that there are tons of ways to look at different situations in the game and that everybody has a different view on what is the best course of action to take. In the context of the middle of the game though with mere 7 second spawn times in which you have to type, there is no way for discussion to occur in order for the team to agree on a best strategy besides one person telling another "plz change planes", which is not the most convincing of arguments. Such differences in viewpoints and such dearth of time in which to express them is what causes people to rage at each other in lack of understanding.

In the end though I believe that the best players are the ones that have a versatile skill set that can change to complement the skills of their randomly-given team. Such a player, who is able to switch planes when asking a teammate "plz switch" fails to work, will in the end tend to win more simply because he does not face as many situations in which his team's composition is inadequate, because he is able to fill the gaps in as necessary.
He was being unyielding, rather than being constructive towards the team IMO. I felt like I was trying to do the best for the team, I made my point clear and I wasn't angry at all. Sure there are tons of ways of looking at it, but I didn't hear him substantiate yet rather throw out emotional, selfish views. It wasn't that much of a ragefest either, except for the disturbing statements from this individual which had in no way a positive effect on the team and a few shouts. I've not started a debate here, you may make it lively by stating I should be able to play other planes as well but this obviously wasn't applicable in the game. There well was a possibility of him being able to play other planes. Rather than quickly discussing this, he acted selfishly and indifferent. In the game it was already lucid that my laser is much better than my secondary plane. If he stated he was by far best with his laser too, it wouldn't have caused such a commotion and we would've already played much better as a team as we would've had to accept this. The fact that this wasn't possible was just disturbing IMO, even considering chatting was harder due to the game having already started.

This indicates a huge drama but it wasn't. In retrospect this case wasn't even worth a fraction of this amount of lines. I was merely trying to express disappointment.

Last edited by Knipchip; 06-15-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:17 AM

I've already expressed that my point was not to say that you did the wrong thing or that you were the one to blame instead. I was not there in this situation and you are probably right in that the other guy, if he had held the same point that I presented, did not express it properly.

Nonetheless though your situation is a common one throughout ladder and I am merely using your anecdote as an example of a larger trend (excuse me for making your single situation into a larger example, but you had already used it as an example for what goes wrong with ladder as a whole) that occurs often in which both parties thinks the other is in the wrong.

In nearly all instances there is not enough time in between 7 second spawns for either party to express themselves properly in order to come to an agreement, and often the best thing to do is simply to suck it up and to change your own plane to better benefit the team, because it is either not practical nor worth the time to spend trying to convince the other guy to do it. Either you believe that two lasers is better than you switching to a plane you are uber bad at (in which you should stay laser and don't waste time trying to convince the other guy, and then tune out everyone yelling at you both) or you believe that switching to your bad plane is better than neither switching at all (in which case you should just switch and not waste time yelling at the other guy, and maybe consider learning different planes for future use). Following this line of thinking will make your ladder experience less stressful and end up making you a more well rounded player overall.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

While I agree with Urpee and Peter, I do have to say that when you're trying your dead-level best to win and your team is losing, it's really easy to rage at some idiot that doesn't know how to adjust planes for the team. Everyone in ladder wants to win and if some newbie is preventing the team from winning, you can count on hearing (reading) an earful (mouthful).
Old 06-15-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajuk999 View Post
an earful (mouthful).
You read with your mouth? cool.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:47 AM

The fact that he didn't change plane may be the cause of a lack of time available to comfortably chat, but the things he said implied carelessness towards the results of teammembers. It was just one-sided. At least this motivates me to start trying to learn to master the other planes as I enjoy the heat of ladder games and the attitude required to win in these much more than pubs.

@nobodyhome good analysing

Last edited by Knipchip; 06-15-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier Stalin View Post
You read with your mouth? cool.
lol, no. I talk with my mouth though. Bad choice of words, but don't be a smartass.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadespam View Post
Do I think my teammate should have used a different plane or had a different playstyle? He must be a homosexual and his mother a whore.
Seriously I can't stand this ****.
I'll admit to being guilty of raging too frequently. I'll even admit to making too many dickish comments like "learn2loopy" and "but really, your TA sucks". To whoever I said and will say those things, sorry.
But I can't stand when it gets degraded to middle school insults between people. Last night I left ball for tbd ladder because there was a wonderful discussion over why the other person was a waste of life, how they should go slit their wrists, who was the bigger faggot, etc. It was tasteless and drives me insane.
I'm all for discussing why my team lost, hell I'm even picking apart things that went wrong when my team won. IMO these discussions should happen. Every person should be doing everything within their power to win, and if you didn't win, then yes, that involves combing over what went wrong. Unfortunately those discussions rarely stay civil.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
The fact that he didn't change plane may be the cause of a lack of time available to comfortably chat, but the things he said implied carelessness towards the results of teammembers. It was just one-sided. At least this motivates me to start trying to learn to master the other planes as I enjoy the heat of ladder games and the attitude required to win in these much more than pubs.

@nobodyhome good analysing
Generally the lower ranked player is expected to switch, this is not necessarily right, but it is just a rule of thumb people use to try and avoid these kind of arguments. By keeping the better player as their best plane, the effect is generally less detrimental than a worse player switching. There are clearly times when this doesn't apply (i.e. the better player has multiple strong planes).

I consider myself to be pretty handy with laser (and I am one of those annoying players who only plays one plane) so I only switch for people who I think are better than me at randa (i.e. dragon/ingbo). In ball it is a different story, I will play whale (despite being awful at it) if everyone else refuses to switch, simply because I am not that good at ball and so I should be prepared to switch.

Basically this situation can be avoided by learning lots of planes. Generally if you can play a light plane and whale well, you're pretty set.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos98 View Post
But I can't stand when it gets degraded to middle school insults between people. Last night I left ball for tbd ladder because there was a wonderful discussion over why the other person was a waste of life, how they should go slit their wrists, etc.
Let me guess, it was ssd? He does that to me every game despite the fact that I don't even talk to him because he has me muted. The problem with ladder is that people who are raging pick on all the teenagers to say that they're immature, but with those childish insults they just look immature themselves
Old 06-15-2011, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

The logic in here is remarkable. This is an online videogame. If you want to play with an elitist crowd, in any game, there will be rage and you will simply have to deal with it. The mute function is great or just realize that it is just internet rage.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 AM

My favourite rage time was when my team got 5 loopies and I whaled, and they raged at me along without shouting "def" every few seconds.

We could have got 2 whales, but one of them decided to be a dick about it because we had so many loopies. Some of them did switch planes after we were 4 goals down..haa!!

Gotta love ladder rage
Old 06-15-2011, 04:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to JDR Send a message via Yahoo to JDR

My goal is to get on a team with 5 individuals who will become visibly upset when they see someone using rev.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Greekjr14 Send a message via Skype™ to Greekjr14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wok3N^ View Post
The logic in here is remarkable. This is an online videogame. If you want to play with an elitist crowd, in any game, there will be rage and you will simply have to deal with it. The mute function is great or just realize that it is just internet rage.
basically all of this in a nutshell
Old 06-15-2011, 04:58 AM

ye i kind of agree with woken. sure we could all stop whining i do find myself being guilty of that more and more lately, or some of u noobs could take in the things ur being told and actually improve and everyone would just stfu... the skill lvl in ladder is so amazingly low i swear to u ur not just getting trolled ur making a **** ton of remarkable mistakes that are just so easy to spot if u have any feel for strategy in u.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Greekjr14 Send a message via Skype™ to Greekjr14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingbo View Post
ye i kind of agree with woken. sure we could all stop whining i do find myself being guilty of that more and more lately, or some of u noobs could take in the things ur being told and actually improve and everyone would just stfu... the skill lvl in ladder is so amazingly low i swear to u ur not just getting trolled ur making a **** ton of remarkable mistakes that are just so easy to spot if u have any feel for strategy in u.
I am also guilty of being in a more QQ mode lately (as if I never used to QQ at all haha) especially more in TBD ladder. The skill level has been low lately as most of us noticed on mumble.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:54 AM

It is a scientific fact all rev users mothers are most definitely whores.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:46 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
It is a scientific fact all rev users mothers are most definitely whores.
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 AM

Why not just implement an interface after the map vote takes place in ladder lobby whereas, teams are allowed 30/45 seconds to allocate their setups and assign roles eg. bomb runner/ball carrier.

This way you could tailor your setups map specific and does no harm as you can change later on if need be.

idk just an idea
Old 06-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Some people are not only incredibly incompetent after months or even years of playing, but they also have no regard for the plane composition of their own team or the opponent's and no regard for the map they're playing. The incompetence is especially bad in ball ladder, where half the goals are in quick transitions after a dumb ball loss, because people can't clear, or pass or position themselves properly.

I can't help raging constantly.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

I love how this has turned into a venting thread ^^
Old 06-15-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wok3N^ View Post
I love how this has turned into a venting thread ^^
Hehe. It is hard to not rage at times though. When I lose a few games in a row, and see the same player(s) making the same mistakes that I told them how to correct 4 games ago is when I go off..shouldn't but most people just don't learn or attempt to implement anything into their play..and it is almost always related to clears, because that is seemingly where people **** up the most. In the end though, to not rage just requires more self control..oh and if you do rage..don't insult the players mom or call her a whore..that is just uncalled for.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 PM

panic........
Old 06-15-2011, 02:40 PM

More rage - less new players sticking to ladder games.
Therefore less players with relatively inferior skill and higher overall level of ladder games.

Please, proceed to rage and insult whoever might be new and not up to the standard of ladder. Or better yet, make ladder invitational only.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoman View Post
More rage - less new players sticking to ladder games.
Therefore less players with relatively inferior skill and higher overall level of ladder games.

Please, proceed to rage and insult whoever might be new and not up to the standard of ladder. Or better yet, make ladder invitational only.
That's a wonderful idea to guarantee a certain level though.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
panic........
Ohhhhhh panic. It's hard not to rage at panic, mostly because of his negative attitude. I remember when DMCM and I had him on a team on woods. Despite the fact that he had a terrible ratio and no bomb hits, he refused to sit when someone on the other side left, so I had to. He ended up ninja-ing the bomb and running at the other team using his D-gun as a kind of makeshift rev lol.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 PM

so i would very much support you nade, if i were able to.
i QQ so much about other players that i decided to join ingbo in QQ therefor my name is now QQ.Wolf.
but really. i don't usually rage. it just bothers me that some players don't understand that you **** around in pubs, and that ladder actually IS serious. Like a bad TA who whines about me asking him to play a different plane, that bothers me. and i will tell him/her it bothers me. you might see that as raging but i'd rather call that expressing myself (>.<)
Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 PM

**** Baba, most worthless loopy in the history of Altitude
Old 06-16-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
**** Baba, most worthless loopy in the history of Altitude
Hahahahaha too true
Old 06-16-2011, 12:45 AM

Goose YOU ****! you played rev director, repair and lost me my ten game winning streak. ****
Old 06-16-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
panic........
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurripilot View Post
Ohhhhhh panic. It's hard not to rage at panic, mostly because of his negative attitude. I remember when DMCM and I had him on a team on woods. Despite the fact that he had a terrible ratio and no bomb hits, he refused to sit when someone on the other side left, so I had to. He ended up ninja-ing the bomb and running at the other team using his D-gun as a kind of makeshift rev lol.
So you've figured out who I was talking about?