Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Default Neutral map concept design discussion

I believe that the neutral map can be a great way to play TBD. Thus, the goal today is to explore ways in which neutral maps can be made that are fun...er.

Here is a basic design for a neutral map:

NOTE: If anyone wants to tackle a map like this, please do. I am incapable.

NOTE 2: It may sound stupid, but I believe TBD maps are in general very cool compared to ball maps because many of them are "themed" in a way and almost tell a little story inside of the map. Give it a try!

The concept:

The rationale:

1) The main point to note is that both bombs are neutral, and placed similarly, though not identically, to those of tbd_assembly. The key difference here is that I want the bombs placed in a manner similar to that of ball map spawn locations - the "edge" of each teams half of the map gets one bomb.

The bombs should almost definitely be separated by obstacles, to make controlling both bombs much more difficult (major issue with assembly, which it compensates for by making the map a little too small - imo)

2) Base objects - I think all great tbd maps have some sort of peculiar features on or immediately near the base, which essentially server as nuisances for lobbers and staging points to anchor a defense or offense around. I think these are more important for a neutral map as it is rare that you have a full team push going - though hopefully the "ball spawn" locations of the bombs will make such a task easier.

3) Team spawns - Though not shown, the idea of spawning the team near(er) "their" bomb did occur to me. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad idea.

More to follow!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:21 PM

Blue box = bmb spawn

pink box = team spawn

green = base

red = object location suggestions. the red outlines are more of my impression of where an object could/should be located - or multiple smaller objects.

RE: the red under the bases - I think justice and mayhem have two of the coolest bombing options in the game (trailing only locomotion and its incredibly hard under-base hit) because you have so many places you can hit the base (for a full hit) from. I really like the idea of opening up the bottom of the base to hits, so long as they aren't easy and require some sweet timing and skills.

I didn't place any items because well, IDK. Turrets, likewise.

I also have no overwhelming thoughts on a theme. I really like the themes of maps like fallout, locomotion, and the new metropolis - they all make you think there is a story going on and you are part of it. Very fun.