Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default ant hill

pretty standard team map, with two small quirks:

1) the center area is an open, arena-like space. most team maps seem to be separated by a clear center obstacle in the grand old tradition of Grasslands, so figured this would be a change of pace.

2) there's a route at the top that completely bypasses most of the level, allowing you to hit the enemy base from the rear or swoop down from the ceiling in the main arena area.

also, it's worth noting that it's hideous and that I completely stole the idea of a giant ant hill as the level backdrop. thanks to whoever did the original if you're still around.

anyway, it'd be great to see some playtesting on this since the game is eventually going to need more than one real map. if we find some maps that play well, that could help lam out a bit since all he'd have to do is slip it to the artist to tart up. the only way to do that is by people making maps and playtesting them to get the kinks worked out!

get it here (you might need to delete the extension... for some reason it's being added automatically)

screenshot:

EDIT: Hm, screenshot's not showing up, but I'm pretty sure I did it right and the forum's just being gay since the REPLY image is also a red x. :P

Last edited by DiogenesDog; 06-07-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:31 AM

I tried to make an ant map as well, but I ran into the problem of wanting it to be a big maze-like thing, but it was just impossible for any plane to go up (except for the bomber). This map is a decent size. The only thing I would change is adding a turret on the upper ground level, or moving the bases so that they aren't directly above the opening in the ground. With a bomber you can take out the base in like a minute without getting hit by any of the turrets just by bombing the opening.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, I thought I had the tunnel slanted enough to prevent that, but looks like I was wrong. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

New version:

- Smaller overall. Slightly redesigned since just resizing everything made things pretty cramped.

- Objects now block players from wrapping around to the other side up top.

- Made slightly prettier to stop people from whining about it, although really anything is going to look like crap next to the official levels so what's the point really?

- No more ceiling of instant death.

- Players can no longer drop bombs directly down the "backdoor" onto base.

You can get it at the same place as before...

http://www.battlereports.com/users/d...tHill.ex_level
Old 06-11-2008, 07:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to skywalker Send a message via MSN to skywalker

some thoughts:

beachball and sand bucket are awesome, i laughed so hard when i saw them.

in the very center of the map, make it 4 thingys instead of 3, so its like cave

key and fossil? wtf?? and how come only silver gets 2 ants and blue none?

curve the edges at the very bottom of the map, right next to the key/fossil.
i mean if real ants saw that, they'd be like wtf, 90 degree angles are for humans.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:12 AM

turret cone of fire sucks. It's ridiculously easy to kill the turrets and game ends up being retard suicidefests.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Minor update:

- First turret is protected a bit better and all turret firing angles tweaked to provide better coverage. Still not as deadly as Lost City's turrets, but let's give this a try and see what happens.

- Tightened up center triple rock thing so it's slightly more difficult to fly through and gives a little more room around it for dogfighting.

- Made that one sharp angle curvier to make Skywalker happy. :P This is a bit of a "lipstick on a pig" situation, but I aim to please.

On a different note, people should also give Forest2 a shot. It's a random FFA map that's mostly a remake of the old Forest map... made it while learning the editor, and while making AntHill I noticed that it comes with the game apparently. I figured it was lost since I did it on an old computer that's since been wiped. I won't be able to tweak it though until Lam gets the Import Downloadable Level feature working, so hopefully it already doesn't completely suck.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:37 AM

BTW I think the original ant hill was done by Fargo.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Ah, Fargo was awesome. I didn't like all his maps, but he always tried new **** and his stuff was always very well made.

Oh and Lam, can you update the version of Ant Hill that's up? It's still the old one with the broken turrets.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Updated again. Went in to just fix the powerups for the new patch and ended up experimenting with a bunch of ****.

I hope you all enjoy ignoring it on the server list as much as I enjoyed making it.

download
Old 07-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Updated yet again.

Changes are:
  • Powerup respawn time reduced from 30 -> 22 sec
  • Powerups no longer fade after spawning
  • Lower right/left "tunnels" now have slightly more room

download