Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > The Water Cooler
FAQ Community Calendar

The Water Cooler Discuss unrelated topics. Keep it clean. Keep it nice.

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 AM

Default Mac OSX Lion

Its supposed to come out 2morrow. Anybody getting it?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

HELLZ YEAH

But, uh, where is your source of it coming out tomorrow? I've heard from some Apple geniuses that it was coming out at the end of the month.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:56 AM

i am not sure about the release date tbh, but i've several websites saying its the 14th.

Here

Scroll down to the messages too. im not 100%, im hoping it will come out 2morrow
Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 AM

i am not sure about the release date tbh, but i've several websites saying its the 14th. But iv'e just seen a message saying later on in July so ur probably correct Ajuk

heres the website btw Here
Old 07-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

This is for Ajuk:

Quote:
All indications are that Lion is on track for a release near the end of the week. People close to the matter told AppleInsider last Thursday that Apple is set to undertake preparations for Lion in its retail stores later this week, with a refreshed MacBook Air to follow soon after.
(Source)
Old 07-13-2011, 09:17 AM

This is the first upgrade when I'm hesitating and I have my Mac since Tiger.

I currently see the features taken away (Exposé, Spaces) more valuable to me than the ones added (AutoSave/Versions, Resume).

I only mention the new features that make sense to me - Mission Control is in every way inferior to Exposé+Spaces and having an iMac I just don't benefit from all these gestures and full screen apps.

So I'm hoping Apple will do something about that clunky Mission Control soon (that's what bothers me the most). However, I will likely be "forced" to upgrade to Lion because of software's requirements.

BTW Lion not shipping on a DVD is just stupid. Maybe not so much for you guys in America, but here it's not that common that everyone has credit cards. And they don't accept PayPal, only if it's connected with a credit card Plus think about more Macs in the house - do you have to download the upgrade for each of them? What about companies with dozens of Macs?

Here are some videos for you that demonstrate the controversy with Lion:
On electronic distribution and gestures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHoGVv5OOKg
On Mission Control (compared to Exposé+Spaces): part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLLd9BLzVU
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCS2J...feature=relmfu

PS: Before saying I'm hating on Apple, I wrote so much about their new OS because I want it to be good.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakospeter91 View Post
Maybe not so much for you guys in America, but here it's not that common that everyone has credit cards. And they don't accept PayPal, only if it's connected with a credit card Plus think about more Macs in the house - do you have to download the upgrade for each of them? What about companies with dozens of Macs?
Credit cards sucks, but then so does using 1 cent coins. Srsly, we need to stop that sh...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakospeter91 View Post
BTW Lion not shipping on a DVD is just stupid. Maybe not so much for you guys in America, but here it's not that common that everyone has credit cards. And they don't accept PayPal, only if it's connected with a credit card Plus think about more Macs in the house - do you have to download the upgrade for each of them? What about companies with dozens of Macs?
I've read somewhere that it's possible to create install DVD from downloaded image. So download once, install everywhere Btw, as your northern neighbor (in terms of countries ), I have no problem with paying on Mac App Store with my standard debit card. You can also create virtual master card at http://www.mywirecard.com/, it works fine for me as well.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:29 AM

I know about the possibility to burn the dmg to a disc, it won't be a problem for me but the vast majority of people will not know how to do that and will be stuck without a bootable DVD (which would be also important for maintenance reasons and for doing a clean install or recovering from a Time Machine backup in case of data loss that corrupts the OS).

Thanks about the tip, cipso, I'll probably PM you about the debit card thing, because I'm so annoyed that I want to give money to Apple and they won't take it
Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 PM

I really think Apple have gone the wrong way about Lion. As much as the iOS is great on iPhones, I dont want want my desktop looking like a massive iPhone. A desktop is supposed to be something more, something more powerful. Not a bunch of stupid needless animations and screens and stuff. I really wish I hadnt put off upgradign to Snow Leopard, and waiting for Lion
Old 07-13-2011, 03:49 PM

you can still get Snow Leopard Premier.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 PM

They should release it free.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
This is for Ajuk:

(Source)
Ugh. AppleInsider is a pretty reliable source too.

**** time to buy another computer.

Seriously, can Apple stop releasing a new version of an existing product every 3 months?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajuk999 View Post
Ugh. AppleInsider is a pretty reliable source too.

**** time to buy another computer.

Seriously, can Apple stop releasing a new version of an existing product every 3 months?
even tho they release a new one every 3 months they r still all better then windows lolz
Old 07-13-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mled View Post
even tho they release a new one every 3 months they r still all better then windows lolz
Yah. Couldn't agree more. I'm just saying, it kinda ticks me off when I bought a MBA 4 months ago.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:59 PM

Ajuk, why so spoilt? Shame You cant just upgrade your mac....

Like I can upgrade my PC.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier Stalin View Post
Ajuk, why so spoilt? Shame You cant just upgrade your mac....

Like I can upgrade my PC.
wat. Mac's are upgradable just like Peecee's are. It's not quite as easy in some cases, but still very doable. He doesn't need to upgrade his Mac anyway. It'll work like new for years to come.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 PM

Yet hes complaining about how his 3 month old computer is obsolete?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
It's not Apple's fault he purchased his computer when he did.
Find me any computer that's been out for 3 months that's NOT obsolete. Things get updated. That's just the way it is. Ajuk shouldn't cry about something he knew (or should have known) would happen.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not complaining, just being dramatic. I love Apple very much and I could literally use my current laptop for 5 years no problem. My bro has a Mac that was made in 2004 that he uses for game modding and it stil works fine. No repairs, nothing. In fact, it has Leopard (2007 OS) installed on it and it works quite well.

I'm just saying, it seems like Apple is upgrading their products every 3 months. Which is good, but for a hardcore Apple fan like myself, it's heartbreaking to spend $1500+ every three months lol.

The only problem I've ever had with an Apple product is if it wasn't the latest.

Last edited by Ajuk999; 07-13-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:45 AM

I have the new iPod nano and its great. Because it works, and it isn't filled wuth.needless bs I don't want on my music player.

I also have a 27" iMac that is fail. The first fail thing iswhen the OS got corrupted, and decided to Shut down every 5 mins. One very expensive repair later, and I find thatin fixing my MAC, Apple decided they would wipe everything off it, and replace it in a bunch of unorganized folders like a bunch of retards. They also forgot to screw the little compartment hiding the RAM back on properly... which they then lost. Not only this, but iTunes sucks balls. I've barely used it since.

The only problem I've had on my Sony laptop is........ urm....
Old 07-14-2011, 12:56 AM

This has nothing to do with Mac VS PC Stalin.

This is clearly a mac thread and we are discussing something that is MAC related.

Furthermore, the fact you'd compare sony vs mac is just too lol. Your computer will give you what you give it. If you don't respect your computer and whatnot, your computer will have problems. If you download every effin' app and go to every freakin' site on the internet, you will, my friend, indeed experience some big problems.

Back on topic, that'd be sweet if Lion came out tomorrow.

Last edited by Ajuk999; 07-14-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 AM

My first post was on topic. You and mled made this a MAC vs pc thread.

In response however, the only Programs I ever installed on that MAC before it went to **** was.Word, and a few things of the Apple store.

Since when does visiting internet sites break your computer? MAC thing?
Old 07-14-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
My first post was on topic. You and mled made this a MAC vs pc thread.

In response however, the only Programs I ever installed on that MAC before it went to **** was.Word, and a few things of the Apple store.

Since when does visiting internet sites break your computer? MAC thing?
Just saying. Sounds like you were experiencing a logic board issue.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

From what I've read you'll only need to buy Lion once and then you can log in and download it from the App Store on any home computer.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:07 AM

dissapointment... no lion 2day
Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
From what I've read you'll only need to buy Lion once and then you can log in and download it from the App Store on any home computer.
There must be a 1 copy and a 5 copy version then (as with previous versions of OS X). Purchasing one license and installing on an unlimited number of computers doesn't seem realistic.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
Yup. That's what makes it so awesome tbh - you'll always have your purchase ready to install and you don't have to worry about losing a CD. The Mac App store is pure brilliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
dissapointment... no lion 2day
If it's not this week then it's definitely the 30th like the Apple Geniuses said.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 AM

PC is better lolzzzz
Old 07-14-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Yup. That's what makes it so awesome tbh - you'll always have your purchase ready to install and you don't have to worry about losing a CD. The Mac App store is pure brilliance.

Or you could just, you know, not lose it? rofl. Plus your macs are so everlasting why would you need to download it twice? right?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:02 PM

omg..... Its out, OSX Lion is out
Old 07-20-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
omg..... Its out, OSX Lion is out
Yay!!!!!

I can't wait to get new scrollbar colours!!!!!!! HELL YEAH!!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 PM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

mac osx lion: with new features like "apps that use every inch of your Mac display", a nifty new feature that makes your "open windows fade away, replaced by a display of all your apps", "your Mac automatically saves what you’re working on so you don’t have to"

color me amazed
Old 07-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

holy shiiiiit now I can have the Andromeda galaxy as my wallpaper!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
mac osx lion: with new features like "apps that use every inch of your Mac display", a nifty new feature that makes your "open windows fade away, replaced by a display of all your apps", "your Mac automatically saves what you’re working on so you don’t have to"

color me amazed
To be fair - versions is pretty epic - at least for us programmers. It's like a built in SVN repository - only one that is actually pretty.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 PM

All of you Mac haters are funny - no one laughed at Microsoft when they changed simple things like the interface, etc, on their OS.

Mac is just catering to people that aren't geeks, your everyday Joe - that's why things are so simple and user friendly. Apple is smart, because they're making billions and their user base is growing 10x as fast as Microsoft's. On the flipside, developers are making hundreds of millions upon using the Mac App Store - it's pure genius. It makes it easier for people that aren't computer savvy to purchase software.

I should also mention, that Apple has the damn-best customer support. Apple even helps people if they don't have a warranty sometimes. In terms of Companies, Apple vs Microsoft; Apple wins by leaps and bounds. That's why people are flocking to Apple.

AS for the operating system, you guys can argue whatever you want. But I'm telling you why people get so giddy when Apple releases an almost meaningless upgrade.

Oh and to cheer everyone up.

Oh wait, that's not that funny. D:
Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 PM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-...1189430&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AS7552G-6...1189463&sr=8-1
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 PM

gg wp chars
Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 PM

They actually go as low as $999.

If you are comparing prices, then i'll have to respond with "you get what you pay for."
Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
They actually go as low as $999.

If you are comparing prices, then i'll have to respond with "you get what you pay for."
even if that first part is true (which i doubt, link plz) i got the second laptop for $600 a couple months ago. "what you pay for" is essentially $1000 more for an inferior laptop hardware-wise. i have absolutely 0 interest in installing a mac OS onto this laptop, but i'm sure for significantly less than $1000 i could accomplish it pretty easily.

so what part of apple makes it a superior company? there are certain aspects of native OSX that make it a more appealing (albeit more expensive) option to certain specific parties, but your argument is specifically for the "average joe" consumer. what part of having customers paying $1000 more for an inferior product makes apple some sort of technological savant? i'd sure hope apple has good customer service in terms of replacing defective units, since with the price of having that supposedly excellent service i could buy an entire new better laptop to replace a broken one if i so wished and still have plenty of $$ left over.

so yes, apple makes significantly more expensive laptops with the prize being that it's dumbed down and more accessible to the average computer user that is too lazy/illiterate to google "install mac osx on PC".

here's where i tell you why people get so giddy

they're idiots
Closed Thread