Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:59 PM

Default Teams Forum Section

I've made this suggestion before in a post on another thread, but I wanted to flesh it out.

With the upcoming Summer Tourney, the one thing that has become abundantly clear to me is that communicating with your team is hard as hell with the current interface. A lot of teams have tried to make team posts in the general discussion area, but they end up becoming cluttered with posts from random players and quickly become non-productive. Besides, any active team is going to have a large number of posts on varying topics, so a single thread is usually insufficient anyway because ideas and posts get lost in the fray.

I think it would be a great idea if a teams area was added to the altitude forums. I'm not experienced in forum terminology, so excuse me if I don't use preexisting terms for things, but it would be great if a team captain could create a page capable of holding multiple threads inside this teams area. That way, instead of having to dig around for certain topics (recruitment, upcoming games, when people can play, etc), team pages could be easily separated and kept organized.

As opposed to typical threads, adding comments to, or even reading, these pages would be invitation only by the team captain (and perhaps anyone he/she extends admin privileges to). This set up would keep the bloat out of team pages, allow information you might not want made entirely public available to your team, and slim down threads to keep them as topic and information centric as possible. Entirely open smack threads could be put up as well, of course, though this ends up happening on the general discussion threads already.

I know this could take some time to implement, but if something to this effect could be created for a winter tourney or whatever comes up next, it'd be extremely helpful.

Any comments or suggestions are totally welcome. I'd like this idea to be its best so it could one day see light.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:36 PM

i Seconded this
Old 07-08-2009, 08:45 PM

That'd be great if it meant nobody else had to read that stuff.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:48 PM

I have to agree, it'd be very helpful, but I don't know if the official forums meant to have those sections in it.
Plus, a lot of teams are just around for a few days and then dissapear.
I dont know about this.

Unless there is a section "Summer League" (or whatever league is ungoing at that time), with news, schedules and everything related to that league in it, plus sub-sections for the teams involved.
But yeah, it would be a lot of work for the forum admin ...
Old 07-08-2009, 11:45 PM

I figure that even if teams do fizzle out, they are often revitalized later. It could be nice to have a skeleton to come back to if you wanted to get a team back together after being disbanded for awhile (I know a lot of members from old teams are at a loss for what to do this tournament because of team disbands). Plus the captain could always just shut down a page and clear space.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator

host your own team webpage for $5/month
http://www.godaddy.com/Hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=9009
Old 07-09-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
laaaaame. Most of these sites could get by on $10/year including a domain.

http://www.nearlyfreespeech.net
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
That was a lot less friendly than I was expecting.

I setup some team forums for people at a site I already have paid for. It's an old, small, dying starcraft community but everyone is welcome to their own team forum if you want it.

If you want it password protected or if there are some permissions you're wishing for or something just PM me on the board (protest boy). Similarly, if I've missed a team and you want a forum created, let me know.

http://cakeforum.org/viewforum.php?f=3

Use it if you want, or don't!

-------------------------

Last edited by protest boy; 07-09-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That was a lot less friendly than I was expecting.
Hey protest -- we're not trying to be rude -- it's just that this is a significant community undertaking that we don't have time to run ourselves. Teams are always forming and dissolving, leadership changes, and to be honest I'm having trouble enough just keeping up with the main forum these days. I think the best thing for Altitude is for me and Karl to focus our time and effort on improving the game (new game modes, spectator slots, warmup timers, etc) and to ask the community for help with everything else.

This is definitely the kind of thing we need your help on. If you're willing to run and administrate the cake forums that's awesome -- I'd be happy to promote it with a sticky thread or offer other resources if you PM me. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
Hey protest -- we're not trying to be rude -- it's just that this is a significant community undertaking that we don't have time to run ourselves. Teams are always forming and dissolving, leadership changes, and to be honest I'm having trouble enough just keeping up with the main forum these days. I think the best thing for Altitude is for me and Karl to focus our time and effort on improving the game (new game modes, spectator slots, warmup timers, etc) and to ask the community for help with everything else.

This is definitely the kind of thing we need your help on. If you're willing to run and administrate the cake forums that's awesome -- I'd be happy to promote it with a sticky thread or offer other resources if you PM me. Thanks for your help!
Oh I totally understand you guys are busy! I guess I was just expecting something more helpful. For example, giving Maimer admin rights with the ability to create some team forums. It's not a big undertaking (make a forum for a team, delete the forum when the season is over). That way all the traffic is kept on your site instead of being dispersed all over the net.

Plus then the main boards wouldn't be bogged down with unimportant tournament chatter, freeing up more of your time to read important posts.

If you think there's not much benefit to the game community keeping it all in one place, then I my forum will work fine and I'm happy to help.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:40 AM

If you start a social group on here you have a private (well, can be private) forum on your group page. Join up fags http://altitudegame.com/forums/group.php?groupid=2
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 AM

On this note - sort of,
I’d like a list of all Clan Abbreviations, I don’t mind who I shoot down in flames (or shoots me ) but It’d be great to know what clan they are from
Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Right here, fatknocker.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:11 PM

in every other game ever, clans deal with this problem themselves. there are loads of free forum services, and ventrilo servers are dirt cheap. there's no easy way for the nimbly dudes to implement this, and it would be an enormous timesink. even if they delegate this duty to someone else, it would generate a whole lot of complaints that would suck to have to sift through.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STACK View Post
If you start a social group on here you have a private (well, can be private) forum on your group page. Join up fags http://altitudegame.com/forums/group.php?groupid=2
lol, problem solved
Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STACK View Post
Perfect. asdf
Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Right here, fatknocker.
ThankYou, I have seen others not on that list but....