Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:19 PM

Default [Linux] Failed to create display after Nvidiadriver got installed. (SOLVED)

Hello!

I recently installed Debian and felt that I was worth some Altitude. It gave me some errors so I had to install OpenJDK (worked great on ubuntu and also together with Minecraft), lwjgl, and some library i cant remember (Altitudelog's demanded it).

It launched without any trouble. After that I installed Nvidia drivers (open sourced/not official) and restart X-server. Now Altitude gave me new errors telling me it couldnt create display, GLX13 config doesnt exist and OpenGL isnt supported by your graphidriver. Before Nvidia I used Nvounes(?)

If I remember correctly, I had the same version of Nvidiadriver on my computer with Ubuntu. I havnt tried to use Nvidia's official driver because of several reason, one of those is the above one.

SystemInfo: http://pastebin.com/YC3CiDWQ
Altitudelog: http://pastebin.com/YA4Dv8kS

Any idea what might happend?

Very thankful for help!

Last edited by idk; 08-18-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Administrator

It looks like the video drivers you installed do not support OpenGL 1.3. Are there any other video drivers you can try? Otherwise you may need to disable fullscreen antialiasing (AA) under graphics configuration or use a different version of java.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM

I dont think there is any problem with the driver's OpenGL, since I am playing Minecraft without problem. I am using OpenGl 1.4, is it backward compatible? Could it be that the first and second errors creates the third (OpenGL) error too?

When you do testing in linux enviroments, which java do you use?

According to the first error: LWJGL tries to get display settings. Where does it look? The opensourced Nvidiadriver holds it's configuration in "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf" and "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-display.conf", instead of the old (original driver) path: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". Did that give you any hint?

Thanks for the help, Lamster!

Last edited by idk; 08-13-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Does the online version work for you (this should use your system-wide version of Java, which I assume MC uses)? http://altitudegame.com/playnow (Note that if you've installed Altitude to ~/altitude you will need to uninstall that copy first to ensure that the standalone version is not launched instead).
Old 08-13-2011, 08:10 PM

It doesnt work, even tho altitude is installed. Same with Minecraft's webbased player. I also don't think it did in Ubuntu, where Altitude worked just fine.

Did you test with OpenJDK or SunJava?

Edit: I can see on my laptop's ubuntu, that it got both OpenJDK and SunJava. I am online on altitude there atm. So ill give it a shot, just give me a moment.
Edit2: 32-bit architecture, you say? Is that a must, Even tho I use 64-bit OS? What I mean is that, I want to know for sure before I start downloading since SunJava isnt small and my connection is very slow. I remember reading at some places that 32-bit is required, but im not sure and I couldnt find it at the moment.

Last edited by idk; 08-13-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:12 PM

Well, I did try using SunJava (64-bit) and same errors showed up, but this time it also gave me a link to Altitude's website telling me to download the latest drivers.

Another thing, Ive noticed that I actually are using Nvidia's official driver (non-free/closed sourced). Just like I had on my Ubuntu system. So I cant really see where the problem is coming from.

It would be nice if you could give me some more hints, Lamster. So I can continue coding on this ladder upgrade together with Nobo and Cipso

Edit:
The only difference between my old system and the current one, is that now I installed the driver manually (almost) with this oneliner:
Code:
aptitude -r install linux-headers-2.6-`uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'` nvidia-kernel-dkms && sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d ; echo -e 'Section "Device"\n\tIdentifier "My GPU"\n\tDriver "nvidia"\nEndSection' > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf
On my old system I used the program "Hardware drivers" and it installed the drivers automaticly. I am not sure how it does that and what the difference is, I think the drivers are the same but the version, which means its only newer now.

The other thing I can think of, is the one I mentioned before about the new paths to Xorg config. The error says "Cant create display" and are complaining about PixelFormat (my display's dimension?) which can be found in the new path: "/etc/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf" instead of the old path: "/etc/xorg.conf".
Maybe it (?) is looking at the wrong path and I am not sure when this path was changed since it was about 1-2 years I last installed X-server.
Lamster, do you have any idea where Altitude tries to find these settings (display dimensions)? If you could be so kind and make a traceback, like Altitude -> LWJGL -> OpenGL -> ???.

Thanks!

Last edited by idk; 08-15-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:22 PM

Lamster, is GLX 1.3 a must? Another reason could be that 1.4 isnt backwards compatible with 1.3 in some function that Altitude is using. I am not sure how to check this, but do you know what OpenGL exstensions Altitude is using?

GLX information: http://pastebin.com/iL5HGbr6
As we can see in that output, I am using Nvidia with GLX 1.4. Direct rendering is also enabled. I ran a "glxgear" command to see if the OpenGL is working properly, it does.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Generally speaking OpenGL 1.4 should be backwards compatible with 1.3. I'm guessing there's an incompatibility between the library we're using to acquire a hardware accelerated surface and something in the Debian/Nvidia window management. Please try the test build from http://nimblygames.com/altitude/test/altitude.tar.gz (which uses a different version of LWJGL and your system's version of Java) and let me know what happens. Otherwise your best hope is to try another graphics driver.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:11 PM

I couldnt extract that file, it seems to be broken. Ill try to download it one more time.

Edit: I cant download anymore, since my bandwidth limit is almost reached. I am using internet from a mobilephone So ill try next month again.

Last edited by idk; 08-16-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:18 PM

Well, I've been experimenting some more.

I've reinstalled the Nvidia driver the debian-way, like I should have done at the beginning. It works fine and acceleration is enabled, but not with Altitude. If I change back to the default driver, Mesa, then Altitude works just great but Mesa doesnt have acceleration enabled, I'll try to see if it is possible to enable that.

I've reinstalled Altitude too. Same problem as before but I noticed two more things: the installer gives me two warnings and when executing the new installed Altitude, it is testing the JVM and then freezes, maybe that gives you a hint where in the code it breaks.
Here is the warnings and the break: http://pastebin.com/vgpFhPV4
Here is a screenshot of the game when it breaks: http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/4e...-1280x1024.png

I cant see any difference between my old Ubuntu system and this new Debian system. The only I can think of is that I do now have a newer Nvidia driver. Could there be any library that I am missing, that Altitude can't tell me about?

Last edited by idk; 08-18-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Solved! Ill create this new post to make it easier to find.

All I did was following this user's direction, by just renaming the "jre" folder: http://altitudegame.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=4

Crazy! I would like to understand why this worked, do you have any idea, Lamster?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Renaming the JRE folder causes Altitude to use whatever JavaVM is on your system path.