Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 AM

Default [Bug] Players out of sync

Players have a chance to not receive/display plane turning instructions while playing on ball_underground. If a full game of this map is played by humans, it is highly likely that at least 1 person will see everyone's plane fly straight. While this is happening, projectiles and the ball are being placed as they actually are. This gives the appearance of things happening from out of thin air. It appears Miranda's teleport causes that plane to be moved and turned in the correct location/direction, but remains unable to turn.

In four games that I've had with humans, each had at least one player that suffered from this bug. Each of those games had not more then 4 players. If this bug is attempted on Skirmish, then the bots count as one "player" for a chance that they won't turn to the player's pov.

To my knowledge, I made the map in a normal way. I tried to recreate the bug in a similarly shaped map, but it worked as expected.

<edit> Solution for known issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
Placing a special object like [a powerup spawner] is a non-Game view results in a partial shutdown of the netcode. I'll try to add a check for this to the editor (and warn/disallow these illegal placements) in the next patch, in the meantime delete all special objects in non "Game" views and it will work fine.

Last edited by Aki1024; 08-14-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:18 AM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Same thing happens with everyone on typepark.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:29 PM

Though not the original bug, still a bug about players not seeing what the server sees in a unique situation. In ball_station, I'm consistently walking into the game with at least one side having points on the board--but from the late to game client's pov, both goal covering bases are still up.

Since the bases are alive on client, the player collides with them. A shot ball appears to collide with it but the server will see the ball shot though it. This situation also gives an interesting view to the other users as the server say "oh ya, they are in the middle of the base" and the client cries "but that means their running into a wall."

Quite an understandable bug, as bases were designed to be destroyed at games end, not as a first of two objectives. <plug, feature idea>I can see this map gaining an advantage of being able to tie its bomb spawn with a base. If the base falls, that team has one less bomb to use.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 AM

This happens to me all the time, its not map specific. Im using a 3G mobile broadband connection, which is very unstable.
I think most fast paced games are using some kind of formula to think out where a player will be in one second and then draw the plane there. Somehow this function keeps on going until all planes crashes. The purpose of this is only for small and short logperiods. If you're lagging very much, you'll be all over the place.
Im not sure if this is correct, since I got no experience in fast paced games development.

------

Another bug I've experienced, is speedhack and slowmotion. Both seems to have effect on the server-side too, which means it's really a speedhack. Either one of these happens right after a freeze/spike has settled down. The way I see it's server-sided is that all planes I kill are actually killed, even if I've traveled a long distance with my super speed. What I mean is that I shouldn't even be at the place by then. Same with the ball! I can grab the ball and speed thru any defense and score. I've also experience that I shoot faster, really... It takes like 3 bomber grenades to kill a whale instead of the normal case 4-5(?).

How often this happens depends on how my connection is feeling. If its bad weather I'll experience it more often. Sometimes once a week or few times per day.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
This happens to me all the time, its not map specific.
What you describe sounds to me like generic lag. What is your latency at while on your 3G?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki1024 View Post
What you describe sounds to me like generic lag. What is your latency at while on your 3G?
Im usually around 80-130, which is playable. The spikes can be anywhere from 300 to 900. These effects im talking about happens right after when the spike happend, but not every time.

What do you mean with "generic lag"?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
What do you mean with "generic lag"?
Generic as in not a bug so much as the effect of lag. How the game treats lag from the player's perspective when the client hasn't heard from the server recently.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki1024 View Post
Generic as in not a bug so much as the effect of lag. How the game treats lag from the player's perspective when the client hasn't heard from the server recently.
So how do you explain that the planes i shoot at gets killed? Is that only happening on the client side, you say?

Like I said: "The way I see it's server-sided is that all planes I kill are actually killed, even if I've traveled a long distance with my super speed.". This means I shouldnt be at that location at all, but still im shooting at a plane i see and it gets killed. IMO my plane shouldnt be at that location on the servers side and then the server shoudlnt even confirm that kill.