Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:52 AM

Default How to make "collide-able" edges follow picture.

When you import a large png into the map editor, it figures out where the edges should be... it often gets this wrong for me.

Basically what it did was create one HUGE collideable box that was like half of the map. It had good edges on parts of the map, and I could fly through it, but on other parts it was bad so I had to delete it.

Now, how do I make a new (smaller) box that makes edges that follow the image I put in the map?

I know this is very vague, but hopefully someone will be able to help me.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
Basically what it did was create one HUGE collideable box that was like half of the map. It had good edges on parts of the map, and I could fly through it, but on other parts it was bad so I had to delete it.
It appears to me that the border of the image must be completely filled in all the way around. If there are any gaps or areas that it can pull in from that, the editor sees the import as a large bolder instead of a hollowed out level.

Also, if the below doesn't help, could you post your image on MediaFire or somewhere else. Could help to "debug" it and answer your question.

Ah, I forgot about an example with floating structures inside of hollowed out walls. The editor can be nice about those too. ^.^

*If it can't get _in_, it won't see any of the inside.

Last edited by Aki1024; 11-18-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki1024 View Post
It appears to me that the border of the image must be completely filled in all the way around. If there are any gaps or areas that it can pull in from that, the editor sees the import as a large bolder instead of a hollowed out level.

Also, if the below doesn't help, could you post your image on MediaFire or somewhere else. Could help to "debug" it and answer your question.
That pic does help. I guess I'll just have to do the boxes manually ;(
Old 08-29-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
That pic does help. I guess I'll just have to do the boxes manually ;(
Moved image to above post to consolidate.

Last edited by Aki1024; 11-18-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 AM

Thanks again, it really does clear things up. I'll just have to do it myself because the map is waaaaaayyyyyyy too complicated to have the computer do t. It's honestly not that hard though, the polygons make it easy to work with. It'll just take some time that's all.

With that said, I wish there was an "analyze large PNG" button that you could apply to a single polygon (hint hint). Therefore only the part of the png under the polygon would be analyzed.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Administrator

One thing you could do is create a stripped-down "collision" map in photoshop (use the magic wand to delete any alpha glows and miscellaneous non-collideable regions). You can then import large PNG, go to layer 8 (where the collision data is saved), select everything, right click -> change layer to 5 (so it's not overwritten later). Then go to layer 9 (where the visual stuff goes), select everything, and delete. Then go back to your original image, import large PNG, go to layer 8 and delete the new (invalid) collision data, and everything should be good to go.