Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:37 PM

Default Servers Not Showing

I recently moved into an apartment on a college campus and am having trouble getting Altitude to work.

I got our tech support staff at the college to open up the following ports. I can now login, but I still cannot see the Altitude Servers. I see one random server and the other 140 or so are all unresponsive.
Allow: UDP 27272 (Altitude game)
Allow: TCP 31373 (Altitude SSL login)
Allow: UDP 31383 (Altitude Update and some other things)
Allow: UDP 27276 (Altitude servers)

I manually set the SSL port to 31373 (though it seemed to work either way).
I have also played with the config file (upnp:false, etc. etc.) based on other users posts and your suggestions Lamster, but without success. I submitted a bug report this weekend if that helps.

I've been playing this game for years, I'd hate to lose it!

Thanks in advance,

Eric S.
FalconZ1
Old 09-13-2011, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Sounds like they're throttling UDP traffic (which might make the game unplayable even if you manage to join a server). This is a favorite tactic at some universities to protect the network from file sharing traffic (torrents typically utilize UDP packets). You can try editing ~Altitude/config/options.xml and changing
maxServerInfoRequestsPerSecond="40"
to a lower value, like 10 or even 1
maxServerInfoRequestsPerSecond="1"
and see if that helps.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:12 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

you need to get the tech people to unblock the ports that the individual servers are using
Old 09-14-2011, 07:17 PM

I'll check with them regarding UDP throttling. I tried lowing maxServerInfoRequestsPerSecond to 2 with the same results, and have tried low values before although not that low (using a value of 1 doesn't seem to work by the way).

Are there other ports besides UDP 27276 that need to be opened to see the servers? That was my initial thought. Shouldn't I expect to at least see some servers with UDP 27276 open? What range of ports is being used for the servers?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Yes, there are many other ports used by servers. Server hosts typically have many processes on a single machine and will use whatever ports they find convenient to host each Altitude server instance. That said, there are several servers running on 27276. Sunshineduck may be correct -- if a restrictive two-way firewall is in place you may need your system administrator to unblock both your local port (UDP 27272) and the target server's IP/port. For reference, official 1, 2, and 3 are hosted at
IP: 75.102.27.114
Ports (UDP): 50001, 50002, 50003
Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the details lamster (and Sunshineduck for the assistance). That sounds like it could be the culprit.

Is there any way to figure out a list of ports that I should request them to open? I'm sure I'll have to settle for a list of most active servers or just the official servers.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 PM

Opening the 5000x ports worked, thanks! I can see the official servers at least now. 3 is better than nothing I guess. I do prefer them, as long as people are playing them. If anyone knows IP's / ports for any other servers that are frequently used, that would be great too, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
if a restrictive two-way firewall is in place you may need your system administrator to unblock both your local port (UDP 27272) and the target server's IP/port. For reference, official 1, 2, and 3 are hosted at
IP: 75.102.27.114
Ports (UDP): 50001, 50002, 50003