Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:04 PM

Default Game recording

Can we please get some sort of facility to record full games and play them back later? I figure it would benefit a lot of players and we'd be able to review games after we've played them. At the moment we have to use Fraps which is a resource hog, uses a ton of HD space, and there's no way to change view mid-game. Since the game information is already being encoded for sending/receiving over network anyway, wouldn't it be relatively easy to just record the data?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 AM

it's pretty easy.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimladSeraph View Post
At the moment we have to use Fraps which is a resource hog, uses a ton of HD space, and there's no way to change view mid-game. Since the game information is already being encoded for sending/receiving over network anyway, wouldn't it be relatively easy to just record the data?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
He knows about screen recording software, he's saying a threater mode like the one in Black Ops would be pretty neat. In that case it would just record the data the game puts out, (eg: Green loopy flies from x:5642, y:3522 to x:5641,y:3522, health: 55%, shooting yes/no, etc.), and not all that's going on the screen --> easier, less space needed.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 AM

woops. didn't actually read the whole post ._. sorry.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I feel that by showing you that lmgtfy site, I have unleashed an unspeakable evil on the world.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribilla View Post
I feel that by showing you that lmgtfy site, I have unleashed an unspeakable evil on the world.
lol, just had to do it, especially because i was on my ipod and i wanted to check if it was possible to do it with that as well.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
lol, just had to do it, especially because i was on my ipod and i wanted to check if it was possible to do it with that as well.
**aswel .
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 PM

So... six replies and all that we've established is confirming what I first posted. Great.

Any word on whether this will be possible in the next patch? Is Alti still being actively developed, even?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:02 PM

use ishowu and like it. There, i said it.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:10 AM

The idea has been reposted multiple times and afaik, the final answer was to just use fraps or another video recorder. There's no real need for it.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:12 AM

Would be nice if there was a recording system just like Source Recording, implemented on Altitude, using demo files and making playbacks to edit and re-record with better quality.

Just thinking out loud
Old 12-23-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggomyeggo View Post
The idea has been reposted multiple times and afaik, the final answer was to just use fraps or another video recorder. There's no real need for it.
Yeah but by that argument there's no real need for mouse/joypad control, just use keyboard and deal with it.

The fact is, most players can't use fraps and play comfortably at the same time, and many can't use fraps at all due to disk space/framerate issues. You definitely can't play while recording and later watch the progress of the ball or how other players played etc. Then there's the fact that if you want to record a game with Fraps, you have to pay for it (more than the price of Alti!).

Fraps falls short on so many levels, and as I said, adding basic recording functionality would add a lot for comparatively little effort on the part of the devs (making reasonable assumptions about the way it's coded).

In fact, I can imagine I would probably auto-record every match I ever played so I could go back and see how my play style changed and re-watch some of the best moments. Not to mention analysing matches between good players, would be incredibly useful for learning.

Last edited by JimladSeraph; 12-23-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah but by that argument there's no real need for mouse/joypad control, just use keyboard and deal with it.

The fact is, most players can't use fraps and play comfortably at the same time, and many can't use fraps at all due to disk space/framerate issues. You definitely can't play while recording and later watch the progress of the ball or how other players played etc. Then there's the fact that if you want to record a game with Fraps, you have to pay for it (more than the price of Alti!).

Fraps falls short on so many levels, and as I said, adding basic recording functionality would add a lot for comparatively little effort on the part of the devs (making reasonable assumptions about the way it's coded).

In fact, I can imagine I would probably auto-record every match I ever played so I could go back and see how my play style changed and re-watch some of the best moments. Not to mention analysing matches between good players, would be incredibly useful for learning.
Basicly, you just described Call of Duty Elite for Altitude.

If altitude collected more stats than what it does atm, it could become more appealing for statfreaks. (heat maps, accuracy, everything).
Afaik the logs files don't take all that much space so storing them locally or on some vps shouldn't be an issue. Frozen Synapse has done this pretty well (every game is recorded and can be replayed by anyone, recordings include all of the movement commands etc, they can even be exported to YouTube)

-J
Old 12-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Actually, I believe the reason for adding mouse support was to increase the player base, and it worked. I understand why you want a video recorder inside altitude, you don't have to explain that to me. But, it wouldn't improve the game by that much of a margin. There are always going to be those people that want to record everything and watch it multiple times, but they don't come that often. The most recording I've seen of this game has been SL/APL playoffs and very few let's plays.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Actually, I believe the reason for adding mouse support was to increase the player base, and it worked. I understand why you want a video recorder inside altitude, you don't have to explain that to me. But, it wouldn't improve the game by that much of a margin. There are always going to be those people that want to record everything and watch it multiple times, but they don't come that often. The most recording I've seen of this game has been SL/APL playoffs and very few let's plays.
Yup, from the devs point of view, intergrating fraps wouldn't likely seem a profitable venture.

But hey, i hope i'm wrong, sure it'd be coolbeanz.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:09 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

Quote:
wouldn't he have to know what fraps was to google it?
Old 12-24-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
But, it wouldn't improve the game by that much of a margin. There are always going to be those people that want to record everything and watch it multiple times, but they don't come that often.
I could say the same about joypad support. Either way though, that's still your opinion - I think adding game recording would benefit most, if not all players. Not just a few.

Quote:
The most recording I've seen of this game has been SL/APL playoffs and very few let's plays.
Well, thanks for proving my point... recording with Fraps sucks.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:00 PM

---------------off topic---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
wouldn't he have to know what fraps was to google it?
http://altitudegame.com/forums/showp...97&postcount=3

http://altitudegame.com/forums/showp...00&postcount=4

Read the whole thread before you make a **** talk comment next time ssd
Old 12-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
---------------off topic---------------

http://altitudegame.com/forums/showp...97&postcount=3

http://altitudegame.com/forums/showp...00&postcount=4

Quote:
lolchars .
Old 12-25-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

what the wolf