Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:19 AM

Default ball_skylands

ball_skylands

Map by: Nikon

Hey guys, this is my first map that I made with my Wacom Bamboo tablet, I'm really excited to play it with you guys and to see what you think.

V.1
Download V.1 Here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

V.2
Download V.2 Here

Changes: Darkened background a tiny bit, lowered opacity of front clouds, added and adjusted obstacles, shortened map from 3000x1600 to 3000x1400, added rocks to background, added health to behind goal, adjusted powerup positions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

V.3
Download V.3 Here

Changes: Added and adjusted obstacles, Changed and raised bottom of map, adjusted and added powerups.

Last edited by Nikon; 03-05-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:46 AM

Nice! It looks really...open. Not sure if that's good or bad, but most assuredly I hope to try it out soon.

Enjoy that tablet by the way.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Good job Nikon! The background is really nice to play (although people want it less bright) and the map is very playable. Fun.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLight View Post
Nice! It looks really...open. Not sure if that's good or bad, but most assuredly I hope to try it out soon.

Enjoy that tablet by the way.
Thanks, yes I may add one or two more rocks, and move stuff around. But we just played it 5v5 more or less, and it wasn't bad. 6v6 probably should be fine, but it never hurts to test and to analyze.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Looks really cool, would like to try it in a competitive setting.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
Looks really cool, would like to try it in a competitive setting.
Same, maybe I can get 2 teams to scrim on it on Sunday.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 AM

They can take our ball.. but they cannot take..

OUR FREEEEEDOOOOOOOM
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 PM

Update!

Check top post
Old 01-12-2012, 11:14 PM

good changes on paper, i'll test them after i eat dinner

edit: how would you feel about editing the cloud layers to make them parallax and movey - like scrapyard's background which is soooo good
Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 PM

Been having some great games on this map today!

Reminds me a lot of ball_cave my favourite map so that's a good sign!

Love the artwork, if it can go parallax as mentioned before then that would be super sick. Would also like to see a scrim played on it to see the response of the teams.

Good job Nikon!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisin bran View Post
Been having some great games on this map today!

Reminds me a lot of ball_cave my favourite map so that's a good sign!

Love the artwork, if it can go parallax as mentioned before then that would be super sick. Would also like to see a scrim played on it to see the response of the teams.

Good job Nikon!
Thanks guys, uhh it is already parralax. Lix are you talking about the clouds that are Over everything, or in the bg? cause the bg parralaxes.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 AM

Its a sick map but I have to say... im a lot better at it than Nikon
Old 01-13-2012, 04:48 AM

I've enjoyed it so far, a map that encourages a fast pace with easy self-passing along the lower route. It might not be the most flexible map tactically, as it naturally leads to battles on the lower route, but perhaps after it's been played thoroughly the top route will be approached more often. The spawn location kind of makes it a risky bet. It's a very pretty map, hoping to get more action in it.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:49 AM

I love this map! The openness mostly dissapates with two moderately skilled 6 player teams. or some 5-person teams. Graphics are solid. More opaque clouds would be funny and the source of priceless raging.

Would be great in ladder imo *hint hint*

Swarm2 is good as well!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:26 PM

Map is definitely good enough for ladder play.

Add a stupidly thin mini route to the middle rock though
Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 PM

I <3 it! Good work! Lix should add this to map pool!
Old 01-14-2012, 02:19 AM

Fun map. Spawns are a little too close to the action and the corners could be rounded on the bottom (or maybe put an obstacle down there). I'd like to see it in ladder.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:03 PM

Default Skylands

I've played this level multiple times in a row. Because everyone who plays it always votes it again right when it ends! That's definitely a sign that people like playing this level./

In my opinion, this map should be forwarded to Air EU, and Dojo, and other big ball servers to be played in. Especially BLadder. I see people talking about how much they enjoy playing it and how it should be a legit map. legit as in official.I can't say much more than that I've enjoyed the games I've had on it and hope to see more of it, especially in Bladder.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 PM

Default Win

Hi All,

I've just played this map and I think it's very good. Very good balance of empty space with obstacles, the looks are in line with the rest of the game (improved version of hills IMHO) and it will be good for TBD as well.

Another tunnel from side to side, at the lower level of the map and it might become a very competitive map for all modes.

HMS Failboat
Old 01-14-2012, 10:07 PM

Hi guys!

I also played this map several times now on the map test server and the AIR server and I really like it, especially the open area above the goal, which requires ppl to actively defend and the cloud effect (Nikon, plz increase it again, I liked the soaking effect and that my plane was covered by the clouds).

To put in a nutshell: I am reeally happy to see new good maps and I am tired of playing the favourite ones like planepark or mayhem over and over again, especially in Bladder where some maps are definitely overplayed imao and get chosen far too often (in a row).

Bladder really lacks in map variety. And therefore I would really love to see good new maps like this one added to the map pool.

BR,

Plauze

Last edited by Plauze; 01-14-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:10 PM

Getting ready to check this out and probably upload to Dojo
Old 01-14-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawz View Post
Getting ready to check this out and probably upload to Dojo
This is done
Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 AM

Tried this out in two servers today: =AIR= EU and Dojo. Overall excellent map Nikon!

The things I like are the of course the graphics to start. I also enjoy the semi-openess at the top. It does present an interest challenge between the ease of shooting versus the closeness to spawn points. I actually wouldn't do more opaque clouds personally as it might a) piss people off but b) detract from it a bit in my opinion. I also enjoyed how the bottom played out. Like most maps, action was still centered towards the bottom, but on paper it seems to be more open space than necessary; however in play it doesn't feel that way and is balanced.

Regarding shooting paths, there is plenty of opportunities from above and below along with bouncing with the bottom part. Interesting was the inability to bounce off the main large rocks directly opposite of goal. I tried but wasn't really able to accomplish that in game. I wouldn't change it; just thought it was noteworthy.

A few things as suggestions that don't have to be acted on: as mentioned above, the large obstacle in the center is both genius and a headache when trying to go from one side to the other...a path in it would be interesting but might change dynamic

Also in regards to goal placement, it almost almost seems *too* close to the spawn points...whereas people play bottom mainly in maps, this seems to favor a top heavy play. Interesting contrast; not sure what to make of it over time.

In terms of length of games, I saw a mixture. Some were relatively quick and some took a while depending on the teams. Basically I infer from this that the map provides a challenge and isn't too hard or easy for equal teams (or even unequal teams for that matter). In addition, it doesn't feel huge nor crowded as some maps do.

Anyway, I was impressed with the map as a whole and would have no problems with it in Ladder Rotation. I'm happy to see it in =AIR= EU and Dojo already and am hoping that this along with a few others can go in the voting rotation of Dojo at some point. Good luck with any future updates with this map and best of luck with any new maps on the horizon!

- soccernamlak
Old 01-15-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccernamlak View Post
Tried this out in two servers today: =AIR= EU and Dojo. Overall excellent map Nikon!

The things I like are the of course the graphics to start. I also enjoy the semi-openess at the top. It does present an interest challenge between the ease of shooting versus the closeness to spawn points. I actually wouldn't do more opaque clouds personally as it might a) piss people off but b) detract from it a bit in my opinion. I also enjoyed how the bottom played out. Like most maps, action was still centered towards the bottom, but on paper it seems to be more open space than necessary; however in play it doesn't feel that way and is balanced.

Regarding shooting paths, there is plenty of opportunities from above and below along with bouncing with the bottom part. Interesting was the inability to bounce off the main large rocks directly opposite of goal. I tried but wasn't really able to accomplish that in game. I wouldn't change it; just thought it was noteworthy.

A few things as suggestions that don't have to be acted on: as mentioned above, the large obstacle in the center is both genius and a headache when trying to go from one side to the other...a path in it would be interesting but might change dynamic

Also in regards to goal placement, it almost almost seems *too* close to the spawn points...whereas people play bottom mainly in maps, this seems to favor a top heavy play. Interesting contrast; not sure what to make of it over time.

In terms of length of games, I saw a mixture. Some were relatively quick and some took a while depending on the teams. Basically I infer from this that the map provides a challenge and isn't too hard or easy for equal teams (or even unequal teams for that matter). In addition, it doesn't feel huge nor crowded as some maps do.

Anyway, I was impressed with the map as a whole and would have no problems with it in Ladder Rotation. I'm happy to see it in =AIR= EU and Dojo already and am hoping that this along with a few others can go in the voting rotation of Dojo at some point. Good luck with any future updates with this map and best of luck with any new maps on the horizon!

- soccernamlak
Thank you ( to everyone for that matter ) Very insightful post, thanks for the feedback soccer.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:14 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

the background hurts my eyes

the corners of the map will never be used

there is only one route from goal to goal, and it is extremely difficult to score from low because there is only one viable choke that is highly constricted. bombers/loopies can defend literally the entire enemy team just by spamming one choke. it reminds me of a way more open ball_grotto, except that there literally is only one path to go through
Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
the background hurts my eyes

the corners of the map will never be used

there is only one route from goal to goal, and it is extremely difficult to score from low because there is only one viable choke that is highly constricted. bombers/loopies can defend literally the entire enemy team just by spamming one choke. it reminds me of a way more open ball_grotto, except that there literally is only one path to go through
i agree regarding the corners, i will need to test more in regards to the rest but my inclination is to disagree

additionally, i am in the NO camp re: adding a path through the middle egg-rock
Old 01-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
i agree regarding the corners, i will need to test more in regards to the rest but my inclination is to disagree

additionally, i am in the NO camp re: adding a path through the middle egg-rock
People keep trolling me about adding a tunnel through the middle rock, don't know if soccer was serious or not.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 PM

Played a couple rounds on this map today on Dojo. Not sure that I would add a path through the middle rock as soccer suggested. I like the added obstacle. Overall I think that it provided a very balanced game and led to some very fun games. Excellent job as always, Nikon! 5 out of 5
Old 01-18-2012, 04:56 AM

I really enjoyed this map and have played it 4 or 5 times now.

About the corners:
The LOWER corners get plenty of use. I used them once for the purpose of grounding a ball while our defense respawned and in the situation we were in, it worked. Mostly though the ball just floats into the bottom corner when someone making a run across the bottom dies, abandons the ball to avoid death while self-passing on a breakaway, or clears it and it just finds its way. I saw this at least a dozen times per match.
The UPPER corners don't get nearly as much play but it does happen. More than a few times a lone defender ran the ball up away from attackers coming from below, much like in Cave/Grotto/Cross etc... and it turned out successful when teammates respawned and came to their aid.

As for the hole through the middle, I think it will hurt the map. The middle provides nice cover and interference for attackers and defenders respectively.

I think the goal placement works quite well with its proximity to the spawn area. It forces more teamwork than most maps do. I saw very few solo breakaways and long runs. What I did see was clever passing to get through the mayhem and reach the goal. I think the rock placement also helped with this aspect.

Because of the necessity to rely on passing and teamwork, I believe that this map would should be added to Ladder.

On a side note: the map looks great.

P.S.: {T}Jazz cannot post in here for some reason, but wanted me to relay that he really liked the map as well.

~{T}Neutenheimer
Old 01-18-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneNeutrino View Post
I really enjoyed this map and have played it 4 or 5 times now.

About the corners:
The LOWER corners get plenty of use. I used them once for the purpose of grounding a ball while our defense respawned and in the situation we were in, it worked. Mostly though the ball just floats into the bottom corner when someone making a run across the bottom dies, abandons the ball to avoid death while self-passing on a breakaway, or clears it and it just finds its way. I saw this at least a dozen times per match.
The UPPER corners don't get nearly as much play but it does happen. More than a few times a lone defender ran the ball up away from attackers coming from below, much like in Cave/Grotto/Cross etc... and it turned out successful when teammates respawned and came to their aid.

As for the hole through the middle, I think it will hurt the map. The middle provides nice cover and interference for attackers and defenders respectively.

I think the goal placement works quite well with its proximity to the spawn area. It forces more teamwork than most maps do. I saw very few solo breakaways and long runs. What I did see was clever passing to get through the mayhem and reach the goal. I think the rock placement also helped with this aspect.

Because of the necessity to rely on passing and teamwork, I believe that this map would should be added to Ladder.

On a side note: the map looks great.

P.S.: {T}Jazz cannot post in here for some reason, but wanted me to relay that he really liked the map as well.

~{T}Neutenheimer
Thanks neut, a lot of good insight/analyzing here, thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 AM

Put a funnel in the central rock.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:13 AM

Location: I live far under water which is why my ping is so bad.
Default great but a bit too spam-tastic

I've played it 7 or 8 times and here are my thoughts:

Pros
- Map is gorgeous, I want it as a poster in my house.
- Map seems balanced for all plane types, didn't see one plane type being favored on the map.
- Good angles and spaces for passing and defending.
- Plays well for 4v4 thru 6v6, isn't too broken for for 3v3, not that that's too popular.

Cons
-Spawn is really close to goal, so killing the other team makes a very limited window of opportunity to score because they're back in seconds. In almost all other maps, if many on your team die, there's a larger chance for the other team to score.
-Similarly, the smaller rocks should be made a bit wider or taller (but not both). There are too few strategically useful "choke points" on this map, which is unlike all other maps besides perhaps cross and laby (not counting football and maps for novices). There should be a few more areas that reward careful flying and smart walls.
-Although there are uses for the bottom and top corners, they're mostly dead zones from what I've seen. Not sure what I'd suggest about that, I'll have to play it more and see.
-With the bottom being open all the way across, the game sometimes turns into a game of fetch when people keep clearing it out to the bottom edges. I'd suggest making a little bump or two along the bottom to vary it and make the ball, when traveling along the bottom, bounce up occasionally.
So, instead of the bottom being like this (ignore the periods)
| . . o . . o . . . . o . . o . . |
)______________________(

it would be like this or something
| . <> . . o. . _ . .o . . <> . |
.\_____-____/ \____-_____/.

Overall
-Everyone who has commented on it in-game says it's fun and exciting, and I agree. I'm hoping it joins the default rotation on many servers, including dojo, air, bladder, and the football servers (a man can dream).
-There need to be a few more narrow places so that walls are more useful and spamming isn't quite as effective.
-I wish all maps had this level of artistic polish.

I'd rate it a 4.5 of 5 : 1 star off for spamming being too powerful and spawn too close to goal, .5 star bonus for looking really really good.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 PM

I just wanted to poke my head in here and say I definitely enjoy the map, it plays very well. The large center rock poses a major challenge, but it not overly limiting.

Keep up the great work, and glad to hear you are enjoying your new creative tools.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:52 PM

Thank you guys, and Lobster thanks for all the feedback. I do too love the graphics, my best graphical map yet by far. I agree with almost all your points, want to test more before changing anything though. I hope you can respect that.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:11 PM

You can lob from one end to the other, but as you said it's never gonna happen in a 6v6 game. Love the backdrop. It's like a magical paradise (lol) and somewhat trippy. Although the obstacles are a bit large compared to the classic grotto/cave maps, I give it a 2 thumbs up...I'm not getting sued for saying that am I?
Old 01-21-2012, 03:05 AM
Banned

Nikon, the first time I saw this, I thought it was pretty good. I come back I realize how wrong I was. I think the graphics are pretty sweet and it looks clean. Will test soon. Nice!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Nikon, the first time I saw this, I thought it was pretty good. I come back I realize how wrong I was.
So what's wrong with a clean map with sweet graphics?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaji View Post
So what's wrong with a clean map with sweet graphics?
Blue isn't so hot on the ole' English skills. I think he meant that as a compliment.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribilla View Post
Blue isn't so hot on the ole' English skills. I think he meant that as a compliment.
lol, yeah Kaji I think he did.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribilla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
lol, yeah Kaji I think he did.
You think? :P