Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Administrator

I really like this map, would love to try it in ladder.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 PM

The goal feels a litte too high imo. Nice map over all though.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM

just played it in ladder, i had quite a bit of fun. plays a bit like ice but that's fine. great map nikon!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:12 AM

What about a little bump in the bottom middle...? (much as its the case in planepark) So that there is a clearer option of taking 2 routes when chasing the ball on the bottom. And to make the bottom a bit more exciting.

I love the big rock in the middle, it makes the map quite unique.

Overall, the map is fun to play, but games tend to take a bit long (we might want some documented evidence on this when we played it more often in ladder) as its, as others pointed out, maybe too easy to defend. Could think about another viable route to reach the goal, most logically from the bottom.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 AM

k we just played 16 minute long game on this, and it favored the bottom heavily, but the bottom pushes rarely worked. Any suggestions on what I should do to fix this? I was thinking adding one rock on the back end of the spawn, so you can't go directly to the goal from the spawn. I don't know
Old 02-10-2012, 10:49 PM

I'd really like to try this map on ladder, but I've played it a few times in pubs ad really like it. The fog effect is really well done; I like how it looks neat but doesn't hide planes like on lostcity.

=slight=
Old 02-10-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naethy View Post
I'd really like to try this map on ladder, but I've played it a few times in pubs ad really like it. The fog effect is really well done; I like how it looks neat but doesn't hide planes like on lostcity.

=slight=
Thanks slight, it is on ladder already, but maybe you're referring to be on the random rotation. Which it is not.. yet.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

So this came up on ladder today and I just... no. It's way way wayyy too open. Everybody just flocks to the bottom because of that bigass rock in the middle of the map the forces you to either go to the very top or the very bottom. And guess what? People go with gravity. Which is a completely dumbass move because then you have to fight gravity so heavily to get to a place where you can shoot. Also, if you have a good whale sitting up near the goal, it's easy as elixir's mom to defend people coming from the bottom. The top path is a different story. All you need to get a goal is come from the top with a ****load of loopy spam. I mean look at the positioning of the objects. There's a big cluster in the middle, then on the outside there's practically nothing. Those top corner objects? yeah those are never gonna be used. Those bottom corner objects? gotta be stupid to actually try and use those as cover while you're going for goal. I also dislike the fact that you have a straight shot at the goal from almost anywhere on their half of the map. Which means you can just get that **** ton of loopy spam and kill their whales, then make a long shot.

My suggestion is to break up some of these rocks and close up the map more. Especially near the goals. There's practically nothing next to the goals. There's the rock underneath which doesn't do **** for defense and there's the rock to the left/right near the center, which also doesn't do **** because nobody's going to come from that way and there's no way you can protect yourself behind that.

I don't mean to be harsh but this isn't ladder material atm. I'm sure it could be, but it definitely needs work.

just my two cents.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:23 PM

I totally agree with leggo.

That big rock in the middle pushes everyone down and because of the height of the goal, along with the object underneath it, it makes shots from low really difficult - practically impossible. The spawns proximity to the goal, and ease of access directly into a defending position make attacking from any where but the top route pretty stupid. Hence why this is not a ladder map yet.

Which is a shame imo, I really like the style of the artwork and the look of the map. It jsut the layout is horrible
Old 03-02-2012, 10:58 PM

Okay, well, what do you guys suggest I do about it? Should I put something preventing instant spawn to goal? Make the center rock smaller? Maybe I should make the whole map shorter in height?

What would you guys suggest?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
Okay, well, what do you guys suggest I do about it? Should I put something preventing instant spawn to goal? Make the center rock smaller? Maybe I should make the whole map shorter in height?

What would you guys suggest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leggomyeggo View Post
My suggestion is to break up some of these rocks and close up the map more. Especially near the goals. There's practically nothing next to the goals. There's the rock underneath which doesn't do **** for defense and there's the rock to the left/right near the center, which also doesn't do **** because nobody's going to come from that way and there's no way you can protect yourself behind that.
that's what i suggest...
Old 03-03-2012, 08:24 PM

I had a quick play around. Take what you will from it :]

After:

Before:

Last edited by Solqom; 03-03-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:20 AM

What has been seen...cannot be unseen.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 PM

Update!

please check the top post

V.3

Please update your servers with the newest version
Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Update!

please check the top post

V.3

Please update your servers with the newest version
I've refrained from putting my $0.02 in, but I really don't think you addressed some of the fundamental issues that make this map unenjoyable to play.

You tightened the top, still going to be a loopy spam fest, and the play will still be forced to the bottom. Which is fine, that's what happens on most maps. But the changes you've made to the goal area are negligible. The bottom powerups are still out of any usable position, and that rock under the goal allows a whale to sit and slow down play until back arrives. Also, I don't think the upper left and right corners ever receive any plane-time.

I'm not trying to be a dick, and I haven't tried the new version yet. So I don't know how this is going to change things, but I suspect very little. The reason I'm replying to this post now is because I'm motivated to do so and this feeling will probably subside in about 30 minutes.

We all know you've made a ton of maps, and you've gotten a lot of feedback. I really wish you would take the time and fine-tune some maps, or take the previous suggestions into account when creating new maps. I still contend hardcourt could be a very fun map if there were some tweaks to the layout (seriously, I had so much fun on this map in clan play), same with atmosphere and with the maps you and polio had collaborated on.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
I've refrained from putting my $0.02 in, but I really don't think you addressed some of the fundamental issues that make this map unenjoyable to play.

You tightened the top, still going to be a loopy spam fest, and the play will still be forced to the bottom. Which is fine, that's what happens on most maps. But the changes you've made to the goal area are negligible. The bottom powerups are still out of any usable position, and that rock under the goal allows a whale to sit and slow down play until back arrives. Also, I don't think the upper left and right corners ever receive any plane-time.

I'm not trying to be a dick, and I haven't tried the new version yet. So I don't know how this is going to change things, but I suspect very little. The reason I'm replying to this post now is because I'm motivated to do so and this feeling will probably subside in about 30 minutes.

We all know you've made a ton of maps, and you've gotten a lot of feedback. I really wish you would take the time and fine-tune some maps, or take the previous suggestions into account when creating new maps. I still contend hardcourt could be a very fun map if there were some tweaks to the layout (seriously, I had so much fun on this map in clan play), same with atmosphere and with the maps you and polio had collaborated on.
Thanks for your thoughts....

K, I have yet to test it 6v6 either so I think we both are in a guessing game. BUT, I believe the changes I've made with effect the gameplay quite a bit. I think putting another powerup on the bottom will allow easier pushes from the bottom to the goal. I think the rock I put by the spawn will make it more difficult to get to the goal and defend as quickly. I think the bumps on the bottom of the map will make the gameplay more interesting, and include some bounce passes. I shrunk that mid rock a bit, and I think that will help.

Addressing your comment on fine tuning my maps, and that is EXACTLY what I'm trying to do... almost every single one of my maps has at least 1-2 updates. By updating this map I am trying hard to fix these problems that make some of my maps not all that enjoyable. Also, Hardcourt is not my map. Lix made the layout, I just did the graphics for him. As for atmosphere, I tried so hard for that map, I don't know how many times I updated it. I think it was just fundamentally flawed.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Addressing your comment on fine tuning my maps, and that is EXACTLY what I'm trying to do... almost every single one of my maps has at least 1-2 updates. By updating this map I am trying hard to fix these problems that make some of my maps not all that enjoyable. Also, Hardcourt is not my map. Lix made the layout, I just did the graphics for him. As for atmosphere, I tried so hard for that map, I don't know how many times I updated it. I think it was just fundamentally flawed.
Noted on hardcourt, thought you two had worked on it together.

I recognize that you're updating, changing, tweaking all your maps. My comment was more of the fact that you produce so much that you dilute the amount of play each receives and thus you're not getting the appropriate level of feedback (in ladder) beyond "this sucks, planepark please." I really want another high quality map to play. I really do, but your maps just aren't there yet. I thought Gee's idea of a tournament that allows for more competitive play on these maps was a great idea, and I hope it was successful and got you some feedback.

I'm not sure how you go about your map design, but each map you create there is an obvious inspiration. My earlier comment was more in line of a desire for you to create a new, unique experience that isn't cookie-cutter. You've got great components on all of your maps, but there have been some glaring problems that resulted in a lot of people have strong, negative reactions. I know what I'm saying isn't trivial, but I don't think there's anybody here rooting against you. We all want really high quality maps that we enjoy playing.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
Noted on hardcourt, thought you two had worked on it together.

I recognize that you're updating, changing, tweaking all your maps. My comment was more of the fact that you produce so much that you dilute the amount of play each receives and thus you're not getting the appropriate level of feedback (in ladder) beyond "this sucks, planepark please." I really want another high quality map to play. I really do, but your maps just aren't there yet. I thought Gee's idea of a tournament that allows for more competitive play on these maps was a great idea, and I hope it was successful and got you some feedback.

I'm not sure how you go about your map design, but each map you create there is an obvious inspiration. My earlier comment was more in line of a desire for you to create a new, unique experience that isn't cookie-cutter. You've got great components on all of your maps, but there have been some glaring problems that resulted in a lot of people have strong, negative reactions. I know what I'm saying isn't trivial, but I don't think there's anybody here rooting against you. We all want really high quality maps that we enjoy playing.
Okay, I get what you're saying, thanks. I did get some feedback, and I might update some of my maps. But I didn't get any feedback on ball_cliff, I would ask you to try to test that with another group of people (it's on dojo) It's my newest map, and people seem to really enjoy it. I sure do, I think it could possibly be my best map so far, graphically and the layout speaking.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

new version is in ladder now
Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 AM

way to be on the ball ssd

you are a model to which i aspire
Old 04-05-2012, 02:22 AM

+1 I like this map.

In the games I played the upper corners were never used.

There is a nice trick shot from the lower route, but is easily intercepted.

Color scheme is good, but background is still a bit bright for my taste.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:02 PM

Moderator removed Spambot post... lol

Last edited by Gunstar 1; 05-28-2012 at 04:41 PM.