Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:40 AM

Default ball_punk

ball_punk
by moog

This is my first attempt at a map for any game. It was fairly easy to put together, but needs some work. I'm looking for suggestions from the pros here on the Altitude map forums.

I'd really like to get it on Dojo someday soon, but krawz says it isn't ready yet. What modifications do I need to make? Could we arrange a time to play a full set of players on it?

Available on the Official Test Map server. You can download it from altitudegame.com/map. It's the second hit if you Google "altitude map ball_punk".
Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM

This is a good start, the layout looks interesting along with the wraparound and unique spawn points.

I think the main modification that needs to be made to this map is the graphics.

If you are going for something simple like what you have right now, I'd look at official ball maps like Maze, Cross, Labyrinth, Ice, etc. that incorporate textured or plain objects with added effects (shadow, glow, etc.) and a simple background.

If you are more ambitious, you could give this map a theme, such as rocks (Asteroids, Cave), metal (Core, Mayhem), etc., which actually give the map a setting. Examples of maps with setting would be Locomotion, Heights, LC/MDG, Nuclear, Volcano.

---

Just as a map editor tip, you can save a screenshot of the map that includes the objects (goal, base, spawn, powerup, etc.) by going here:

Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 PM

Thanks for your reply, Flexio, and the tip about the editor! I know the graphics need work, but I wanted to get object placement down before I started putting much time into that. Do you have any suggestions surrounding the functionality aspect?

Would anyone be willing to play it with me on the Test Map server this Sunday? What times are best?

Last edited by moog; 01-18-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:39 PM

Ok there are a few issues I see right from the start. First, the angle of the spawns is too vertically-extreme. It's just strange.

Second, the spawns are wayyy too close to the goals. Look at maps like planepark and mayhem2 for spawn placement in relation to the neutral ball and the goals.

I think the two large objects in the middle might be a bit too much. Perhaps take a big chunk out of the middle of them in some bizarre triangle shape.

Obvious flaw: the bottom wrap-around is wayyyyy too good. You need to make it take a lot longer to get from one goal to the other if you want to utilize a wrap-around. For a good example of wrap-around distance, see ball_mayhem_old (or something to that effect) on the AIR server (or {arr}, I forget).

Other than those basics, I think the map looks interesting.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 AM

The obstacles in the middle are a bit too large. Try adding a few more sprites in the map or something.