Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 PM

Default Time out

I don't know whether this has been suggested before, or how easy it would be to implement. Regardless here it goes:

Recently I've been thinking about competitive play in altitude, namely scrims and tournament games, where there is typically a bit more strategy involved. Whilst it never hurts to be fully prepared before a match sometimes you just don't know what you are going to come up against, and therefore which players and what style to choose.

Wouldn't it be great if after any goal/bomb hit or lost ball (when all the players return to spawns) either team could have a time out. This would then change the warm up time before everyone spawns from the standard 3 seconds to ~30 seconds. The idea being that it would give the teams enough time to make substitutions, change planes, change strategy or discuss various things without have to play at the same time. Both teams could have 1 or possibly 2 time out calls per match.

There wouldn't be time for a vote so a quick command would be required like "/1" for example. Equally if your team called a time out you could choose to end it early (ie before the end of the 30 seconds or set time amount) by a "/2" command.
Edit: The command /timeout could be used at anytime during a game but would only take effect during the next stop in play.

I know a few teams use mumble to organise their selves when playing but having a time out could be used for other practical reasons like waiting for a important player to return from a ping kick or to just calm you team after your had an epic fail.

Just a thought.

Sol

Last edited by Solqom; 03-19-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:05 PM

It is a bad idea to use a non-descriptive keyword for what a command is. To get around timing issues, any /timeout that is called during play could get applied to the next no bombs picked up (plus some time for clear out after base hit attempt) or goal score. The concept of calling a time out between plays comes from sports with a downtime between plays much longer then 3 seconds.

Some games take longer then others. Limiting timeouts could be done by putting the timeout ability on cooldown.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 PM

Ah that's a much better idea Aki, you so pro ^^
Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

if you can't organize yourself enough to not need a timeout after plays, then you just need to organize better.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 AM

i like.

i might of misread or missed somthing but, i would find this annoying in public servers, perhaps if the CMD was only planted in for instance private servers or ladder, aleague and stuff.

also i think somthing simular has been suggested,
somone asked for half time on the 3rd goal/50% bomb dmg ect, which gives team time to disscus tactics and things, but i suppose in competative play 1 goal/bomb would be more pratical

so yeah i think this is good idea mate!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 AM

I personally like the fast paced action of ball. TBD already has like a timeout after you die lol. In scrims/tourneys, most teams use mumble so coming up with strategies should be easy enough. With the one sub rule (that apl and SL use) it is pretty key of when to use that sub (if you do), and it would just take away from the game if you were able to say timeout and think about it for a second. Also, just from stopping play like that it also messes up rhythms that people have. For instance, when I spec in ladder after someone disconnects it takes me a life or two after I rejoin to regain composure most of the time.

This is just my opinion though others may feel differently.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 AM

@Pac

Yeah I did mean for this only to be used in scrims or tournaments, not in pubs or ladder - it would get abused.

@dark

Whilst a lot of teams do use mumble there are some that don't and a quite a few people can't use mumble alongside altitude due to performance issues etc.

Equally time outs could be used for solely that purpose, to try and stop your opponents flow/rhythm.

idk it was just a thought.. ^^
Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM

Would Not work for TBD since lot of hits are counter atacks.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight 666 View Post
Would Not work for TBD since lot of hits are counter atacks.
^^^This^^^

A lot of the tactics in TBD comes from how you split the team offensively and defensively. Similarly the wonderful move that is the double bomb hit could never be executed with the time out.

As far as ball is concerned I think the reason people play it is because it's fast paced. I don't think timeout would add much tactically considering the only people who gain anything out of it are those that can't be bothered to use mumble and it would slow down the game to something akin to handegg.

Last edited by Ribilla; 03-23-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribilla View Post
^^^This^^^

A lot of the tactics in TBD comes from how you split the team offensively and defensively. Similarly the wonderful move that is the double bomb hit could never be executed with the time out.

As far as ball is concerned I think the reason people play it is because it's fast passed. I don't think timeout would add much tactically considering the only people who gain anything out of it are those that can't be bothered to use mumble and it would slow down the game to something akin to handegg.
Thats waht i tried say,
too bad, my english sucks.
Usually, the wicke team play countering.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:11 PM

Yeah, not being a avid TBD player, I forgot that play never stops in TBD like it does after each goal in ball. My bad ^^
Old 04-03-2012, 12:26 AM

i think that sound pretty good actually