Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM

Default Special Netcode for Big Bombs

Would it be possible to synchronize the position of the big bomb on the thrower's screen and on yours? The big bomb's path is predetermined the moment it's thrown, so given the throwing stats (angle, speed, etc.) and the time it was thrown you should be able to extrapolate where the bomb actually is on bomber's point of view.

(I bet I'm missing something here.)
Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not lam, but I can tell you from working on games in general that what you're requesting isn't possible.

what WOULD be possible tho is to make an exception for the big bomb and reverse the way collision detection for weapons. so normally it basically says that whatever the attacker sees = correct, and that makes sense usually. but for the big bomb you could change the rules to say:

1) if the bomb hits me on my screen, that counts as a hit vs me.

2) if the bomb hits a wall, turret, or base object on the attackers screen, it counts that as the hit even if it was still in the air for other ppl.

so basically this would mean that you NEVER have a situation where you caught it but it went through you. the bad side is that it'd make it a lot less skill-based for lobbers / attackers in general, since you'd then have times where it looked like you had a clear drop path but then the bomb randomly exploded in midair.

really tho the only solution is to play on non-laggy servers.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Another solution would be to penalise bombers who are lagging:

1) make it so they can't pick up a bomb in the first place (make this settable by server, and inform players clearly why they can't pick up a bomb when they try)

2) or make their bombs go slower according to lag (have a server setting for threshold of ping to start slowing down bombs, increments of slowness, increments of increasing ping. e.g. 200 ping = start penalising on bomb speed, penalising in increments of 5% slower, increments increasing for every extra 25 ping. So someone with a ping of 250 has 5+5+5 = 15% slower bombs).

Fact: Slower bombs are easier to catch.