Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:11 AM

Default Scheduling of fLbSS Games

As many of you know fLbSS has no way to get 5 members this weekend and if things go as they are now they will forfeit. I dont think anyone wants to see this so I was wondering about rescheduling. Assuming the other teams are willing which of these 2 ideas work better for everyone:

1. Only play v3/FN v fLb this weekend and conclude other side of bracket and winner v winner match following weekend.

2. Try to jam it in this friday both the fLbSS/L* game and winner playing ACE that same day.

Please respond quickly cause if 2 works i have to inform people.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

Personally I think playing is more fun than winning, and fLbSS having to forfeit because of bad timing is stupid, so I agree with rescheduling.

I can probably make Friday (though maybe not all fifty hours of matches). I will be on real planes this Sunday and next.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 AM

I can make it Friday and I would rather do this because the following Sunday (August 23) I will be in France.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

I can do either this Friday or next weekend. However, I don't want to cause any other teams to have to forfeit or play with less players because of the reschedule.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:49 AM

i personally prefer not having to play on a friday night (and as i am on pacific standard time, the game might end up being too early for me to attend), so i prefer option 1. that also gives us more time to practice =x.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:58 AM

personally i couldn't take the wait. i hope it goes down friday
Old 08-12-2009, 01:59 AM

I'm not sure friday will be possible for ACE.
A half-Euro half-US team is hard to manage, and telling everyone to show up for a game only 2 days prior to that game is really hard.
I always want to schedule scrims and everything during weekdays but not a lot of guys finally show up then. I really prefer option 1 if anything.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyy View Post
I can make it Friday and I would rather do this because the following Sunday (August 23) I will be in France.
when u gettin back gumbers?

not that i wanna postpone till the 30th but it seems gay for us to resched at the expense of others, and it appears as if everyone would prefer a weekend vs. a friday night, myself included.

i mean i'm all antsy in my pantsy as well to get this goin but there's two weeks between the divisional championships and the super bowl so i declare i'm absolutely fine pushin it as far as need be so no one gets dicked.

Last edited by ufo; 08-12-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 AM

i can't make anything before sunday because i work the next 4 days
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo View Post
when u gettin back gumbers?
January 15, 2010 :P

Once I'm settled in France I'll be able to play but I'll have a higher ping and all that (though tyr is usually in the low 100s so it wouldn't be too bad).
Old 08-12-2009, 04:25 AM

Default sunday the 22nd ? may be?

I will really prefer to play next weekend, Sun 23rd is perfect.
i believe matattack will prefer this too cuz i'll be camping from 14th to 17th, and mat is camping from 15th to 22nd

i talked to the SS's and thats works for them, L*'s is that okay with yall ?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:26 AM

Ugh bears and their impulsive need to sporadically visit the woods for hibernation periods.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

This is exactly why I was trying to stress that games shouldn't be rescheduled in the playoffs. Just look at the responses in this thread. It is already filling out to exactly what I was saying would happen which is different players from different teams saying that certain days do or don't work. I don't want to see this tournament end in an endless cycle of rescheduling or teams saying that they can't do a game because a certain player(s) can't be there. This is why each team was allowed 10 players for a 5v5 tournament, to allow for the fact that a few players might not show.

I am sorry for flbss but we all knew that this tournament was going to be on Sundays when we all signed up in the beginning. It is no secret that flbss had trouble getting 5 people for any game on most of the previous Sundays (despite having a roster of 10 players). And now they want us to postpone the entire tournament because they can't make it to the games? I am not trying to be a dick here, but I wasn't really expecting 5 members of that team to show up anyway based on previous experience.

But I am just the organizer of the tournament. I have laid out what I think should be done which is that we finish the tournament this Sunday. Rescheduling in my opinion will only make this all end poorly.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:51 AM

Although I'm completely fine with playing on Friday and would much prefer to play this game vs flbSS then get a bye, if a single one of the Lobstars who could have made it on Sunday can't make it on Friday, I'm totally against it. .

Just my two cents.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM

I entirely agree that no Lobstar should be screwed over by a reschedule, and that fLbSS is in the hotseat here. L*, we're basically willing to accept any option you can throw our way, and if that still doesn't work than we'll have to forfeit.

And as far as maimer's judgments go, though we always had 10 people on our roster, they were always rush filler picks, rarely active, and only now going into the playoffs do we have a solid team together. Don't turn on the hate because we are a team that was formed from nothing at the onset of the tourney and wasn't a pre-existing entity. Obviously we had attendance issues, most teams did, 10 players or not. Moreover, I think the league takes a bigger black eye when the whole community knows a good team didn't even get a chance than when it puts things on hold for a week or is at least willing to discuss options, but I guess that's not a universal view. On a side note, I think it'd be a good idea to start summer leagues earlier in the summer next time around. Only so much can be done with jobs ending, college starting, and family end-of-summer trips being inevitable.

Again, lobstars, if anything works for you, just let us know. It's no obligation to you, we'd just really like to play = ]
Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 AM

Maimer SS is not the same team that couldn't get 5 each work before. The dead weight was cut and new competent players were brought in, the past 2 weeks 7 have showed up to each of their matches. The SS deserve their chance to play. Rescheduling has been allowed this entire tournament as long as both teams are willing and there was no mention the playoffs would be any different.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Btw, I think we all need to realise that we're not professionals whatsoever and we'll never be able to get everyone together at the same time, since we all have real life obligations.
Some teams will always get screwed at one point or another.
ACE got pwned in the TL League in the semis against Vapor where we had only 3 players. We're back in the Summer League with a vengeance.
I guess it's fLbSS' time to get screwed. I have no doubt they will represent a even greater challenge next season and will be a contender for the whole tournament.
Nothing prevents us of scrimming without any league involved also.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:58 PM

UPDATE: After conferring with Tyr we think we have come up with something that can work. This Friday fLbSS/L* and winner v ACE, if by some off chance ACE cannot make 5 for this day wel just go back the regular schedule and the SS will probably have to forfeit sunday. If this is ok with L* for times we were thinking 4pm EST SS v L and 5pm EST winner v ACE. Post if times are problem or any other input.

Last edited by Kuja900; 08-12-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

have to agree with kuja - it was always understood that players would have a chance to reschedule games if necessary. seems like it'd be no big tragedy to just split this up so we do L* vs SS this week when possible, then finish the semis/finals next sunday?

basically, I don't really see why the rules got so strict all of a sudden?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I don't see why the whole tournament needs to be rescheduled, just L* vs fLbSS. One match, like always.

As for times Friday, Dio and I would both prefer earlier. I need to be out by 4pm EST. But this would mean that NobodyHome can't play because he has work. So here's what I think is the breakdown:

If we play Friday before 4, we lose Moxie and NobodyHome.
If we play Friday after 4, we lose at least Moxie and me (and possibly Dio and NH depending when)
If we play Sunday, we just lose me.
If we play next Sunday, we lose at least Gumby and me, and the rest of the bracket gets messed up too.

So from a Lobstar standpoint, our regular scheduled game-time is best. We can probably still field 5 players at other times, and it would be nice to actually play the match, but that choice is up to our captains.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

I, personally, would rather SS take the loss than force other teams to have to get screwed over by putting in players that they otherwise would not have wanted to and not have the best team available. It seems like it would be unfair if we got all of our top people together and won because you were missing some of your better players.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 PM

If we go through with this idea finals would still be same time sunday
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Kuja, you keep saying "Rescheduling has been allowed this entire tournament as long as both teams are willing and there was no mention the playoffs would be any different." but I really don't see how you can think that this would stand. The playoff games all depend on each other. This means that if one team reschedules a game then all the following games cannot take place until after that game. It is a domino effect that I didn't want to deal with. So just because it didn't say explicitly in the beginning of the league that you couldn't reschedule the playoffs doesn't mean that you should assume that you could reschedule. I gave most teams more leeway in terms of rescheduling games during the season than should have been allowed. I was overly nice about letting teams get their games played and now you are trying to turn that against me.

However, this has been the story of flbss, with Kuja on the boards or in game pleading their case. I understand that you started the team, but you are not the captain. It is not your place to fight for them. I understand that everyone wants a chance to play their games but the summer is coming to a close. If we postpone the games this weekend until next weekend then other teams or players won't be able to make it. Did we not all know that games would be on Sundays? Was that not explicitly posted along with the times of the day? Is it not reasonable to give teams 10 roster spots in a 5v5 tournament and then expect that a team can have 5 of those 10 people show up?

People keep saying that if the flbss vs L* gets rescheduled then that's all that will have to happen, but what if flbss wins? That means we have to reschedule the flbss vs ace game. And then what if flbss wins that game? I think the assumption being made is that flbss will play the game on friday and lose. There is no guarantee that flbss will lose on friday.

Again, my position stands that the playoffs should all be played this sunday. However, this league has kind of got out of control. Most teams were horrible at reporting the results all season and I spent way too much time tracking down teams to find out results. (The only team that was consistent week to week was FN and L* at emailing results). I am pretty much tired of dealing with anyone and everyone thinking that the league, consisting of 120 or so players, should cater to their specific needs. If the games don't happen this sunday then so be it. I am tired of dealing with all of this and I just assume move on and pass the responsibility onto someone else who wants to deal with this headache.

-Maimer
Old 08-12-2009, 09:06 PM

I pretty much agree with all that (i'm also getting tired of the reschedule thing 2 days before the hypothetical game).
There's one thing i'd like to point out also. At least two ACE players can't make it next sunday (august 23rd), and at least one can't make it this friday, and I refuse to get our team penalized because of another's team schedule problems.
I'm really sorry for fLbSS, I really am because thats pretty much what happened to ACE in the TL league semifinals so I know how it feels, but looks like the matches will be played this sunday anyway.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sunday it is then! Go Lobstars!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Ugh sadely it seems majority want to continue business as usual, fine then .

Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

DRAMA!

but really, people just found out about this 3 days ago and have been scrambling hard to find game times that work since then. if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. but I do think giving people 3 days' notice and then bringing the hammer down is a little bit different than the rest of the league where people knew their whole schedule upfront and had weeks to figure out game times.

relax. if we find a solution that everyone is happy with, great. if not, then that sucks for flbSS. but this isn't a personal attack on your or something. :/

EDIT: oops, started this post and then went and talked on the phone for a while, looks like we may have already settled this?

Last edited by DiogenesDog; 08-12-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 PM

I agree that there is no "perfect solution" and so we should play the games at the planned times since people have known the playoff dates for weeks.

I'd also like to thank Maimer and evilarsenal for everything they've done to put together this tournament. It's easy to take for granted how much work they've put into this to make it run as smoothly as it has and the Altitude community owes them a debt of gratitude. Thanks a lot guys, in spite of a few snags here and there I'd say this thing has gone remarkably well.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Maimer -

I would like to point out that through all of this I have not been being nasty or trying to go above you or anything. I have merely been trying to see what the possibilities are. I have said numerous times that I would accept the loss if we couldn't find another way. This thread was meant to try and discuss what times, if any, would work for the teams.

Since L* and Ace have different schedules and one or both teams would be at a disadvantage I am fine with leaving the tournament on Sunday and having all games take place then. I find it unfortunate that this has to be the case but as you said, it was posted that the tournament would conclude on the 16th of August.

On a side note, I would like to say that I think it's kind of ridiculous that you would make a comment about not expecting us to show up to this game based on previous experience. I don't know if you've been watching these past two weeks or paying attention to our team, but we really have gotten new players who are active (myself included). I have personally made it to most of the matches every week (that includes every match I've been with SS and most of the other teams matches). As many of the comments before me have stated, SS is not the same team it started the league off as. This week is just a bad week for many of the core players of our team. I'm fine with having us take the forfeit loss but I'd appreciate if there wasn't as much hostility towards our team for trying to see if there was a way of getting us to play.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:10 AM

sunday. 10chars
Old 08-13-2009, 03:41 AM

I'll shutup now

Last edited by as red as black; 08-13-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:00 AM

what's done is done...

now can't we all just get along effers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rare_star_wars_photos_21.jpg (33.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg rare_star_wars_photos_16.jpg (19.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg rare_star_wars_photos_09.jpg (45.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg rare_star_wars_photos_08.jpg (19.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-13-2009, 06:06 AM

Hey ..

okay as the decision has already been made I will make this post short cuz whatever i say now doesn't matter anyways, i wanna mention few points.

Maimer, first of all .. this post was made to DISCUSS the possibilities of rescheduling the game, we made it clear a week ahead that we wont be able to play this weekend, and that was before the schedule of the playoffs was made. and as the SS's pointed out, we didn't wanna reschedule the game and affect other teams badly, we'd rather lose than to do that. I don't see any necessity for the defensive tone in some of ur posts but just to make it clear we aren't against anybody. We appreciate ur efforts, if things have to end this way then let it be.

second of all, we had few problems trying to get 5 players to show up. **** happens, some organizational mistakes made by me, players had stuff to do or went out of town (its summer u know..), our team is new and we aren't perfect, we made few mistakes in the beginning and worked on fixing them throughout the league and i believe we were successful. Even though we're getting a bye, i think we made a good point, when we got 5 people to play, we played 'well'.

I hope people will consider this rescheduling issue when making future tourneys. and hopefully new teams will try to avoid the mistakes we made and the problems we had.

One last thing, thank u kuja for ur support, thank u SS bears <3, and thank u L* SO MUCH for ur understanding, we appreciate ur being flexible and trying to reschedule this game.

Good luck to all the teams in the tourney.

Love,
~Texas

P.S. ... the bears r sad

OVER AND OUT
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

imacowbark
Old 08-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by as red as black View Post
Who won last tourney? Huh? Oh yea, it never ended because schedules could never be worked out.
Actually, it never finished because the tourney organizer's computer exploded and the players were all too lazy and unmotivated to arrange the game themselves. :P
Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post
Actually, it never finished because the tourney organizer's computer exploded and the players were all too lazy and unmotivated to arrange the game themselves. :P
I edited my previous post
Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as red as black View Post
I edited my previous post
Yeah ARAB chobopeon's comp died and the league died with no organizer since at time everyone was lazy lol. He should be back soon actually.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:45 AM

Just to clarify SS hasn't officially forfeited and they will play with whatever they can muster.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:46 AM

Thanks for clarification.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Just to clarify SS hasn't officially forfeited and they will play with whatever they can muster.
Might make more sense if this came from someone who is actually affiliated with the flbss team, such as the captain.