Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 PM

Default Can't end altitude process

I've been having a really weird issue recently, when I close altitude or the server launcher, they continue to run in the background doing nothing, both using about 50mb of RAM, less than when they're running (for the server at least).

When I try to start them I get an error (error 22, already running), but the strange thing is I can't close them.

'End Task' in the task manager does nothing, and "taskkill /IM server_launcher.exe" in an administrator command promt tells me the task could not be terminated ( with /F even as admin I get access denied errors ), so I have to restart to close it.

I'm running on windows server 2012 datacenter (free from dreamspark, I've modded it to work pretty much like stock win8), and have been having a few other weird issues recently, so this may not be anything to do with altitude, but I haven't had this specific issue with anything else.

I've been using linux for the past few months and I don't recall having this problem any time before. Not much could have changed while I've not used it, no other software updates or windows updates that I know of, and it first happened the first time I booted into windows and tried to re-launch the server to test some stuff, then later when I just wanted to play, closed alti, the tried to play again to be greeted by error 22.

So it could be:
problem shutting down, incompatibility with something else running?
Java issue? (JRE7 v1.7.0 , hasn't changed)
Something in the last update made alti hate me?

I'm clueless here...

Any ideas?
Thanks ^^

edit:
Both are shown in the task manager as background processes, I can't see which user they're running as, but there's no reason for them to be running as SYSTEM, do I don't know why I can't kill them :/

I have a feeling there's something stupid I've missed >.<'
oh, and they're not visibly running in the foreground before anyone asks

Last edited by LewisH; 03-25-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: grammar....
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 PM

Doesn't altitude have a log somewhere? Anything interesting in the log file?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 PM

No idea how alti runs on windows server 2012. On 2008r2 it runs fine though.

But it does sound like you're screwing some things up I'd say configure Hyper V on that 2012 server. With a datacenter license all hosts are free. Dreamspark licenses for students are useful. I have one as well.

And then run as a virtual machine a 2008r2 server. That'll work for sure. I'm doing the same thing, except that my hypervisor is still a 2008r2 machine.