Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > The Water Cooler
FAQ Community Calendar

The Water Cooler Discuss unrelated topics. Keep it clean. Keep it nice.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:18 PM

Default Oculus Rift VR

So, some of you probably already know about this, I'm pretty late on discovering it, but I still find it very intriguing and wanted to share it with the people who hadn't found out about it yet.

VR is coming to reality, it's starting to exist. It's been used as a movie/anime/comic theme many times before and people have been sceptical about it ever existing throughout. It actually seems to be happening though. People have tried it at CES. It has been one of the biggest Kickstarter projects, being funded for nearly 1000%, with a total of almost 2,5 million dollars.

I've shown it to Ingbo, and the first thing he said was: I can only imagine this being very tiring.

Which I do agree with. Now, I was wondering what is your opinion on this? And will you buy it when it comes out?

Links:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-into-the-game
http://www.oculusvr.com/
Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 PM

at least u know who to quote for validity, props wolfy!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Depending on how the final product turns out, I might buy this.

The real deal breaker for most people is probably game support. TF2 just announced they will have a VR version of the game, but how many others will? There might be a need for a completely new market specifically for VR, which is hard to create initially
Old 04-08-2013, 02:52 PM

I don't think it's about existing games briging in the support for this, but game studios designing games to fit the oculus.
In this interview they actually use the TF support for the oculus, and as you might be able to see it seems a bit out of place. I don't think it would fit any current game very well.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM

Personally I'll wait a while till the product becomes mainstream and way more mature i.e. when the guinea pigs have tested it against migraines, nausea, and other possible reactions.

In any case, John Carmack is heavily involved in this, therefore it's awesome by default.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 PM

Yeah they were already talking about Doom support for the Oculus, and shipping it when you pre-order. :3 (maybe)
Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
I don't think it's about existing games briging in the support for this, but game studios designing games to fit the oculus.
In this interview they actually use the TF support for the oculus, and as you might be able to see it seems a bit out of place. I don't think it would fit any current game very well.
That brings up a common problem that nintendo has. ****ty game developing. It doesn't matter how cool this VR looks, if its only got 2 good games, almost no one is going to buy it.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Looks great, im with Tekno on this though, i'll wait until its been tested. Also Strato, myself and 3 of my friends bought a PS3 soley for Skyrim, so id say it'll depend on the quality of games as opposed to quantity.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 PM

You know you can run skyrim on a mac right? -_-
Old 04-09-2013, 12:03 AM

Yeah but at the time my computer was not powerful enough to run it without it being awful and there was a second hand shop in town selling PS3's for cheap.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM

The same guys who tested the TF2 compatibility now let Jamie Hyneman (guy with the berret from mythbusters) test the oculus rift VR, you can watch this here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKhp4H3DUwE