Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Default Next league?

Hey, just curious if anyone has plans yet for the next league? This last one was a lot of fun (thanks Maimer / Arsenal!), and it seems like there's a lot of interest. Anyone have something in the works yet?

On that note, a couple suggestions for things I'd personally love to see from future leagues:

- Add Grotto and Locomotion to the map pool. And there are probably more maps I'm forgetting / don't know about that deserve to be in there.

- Best of 5 for championship. Obviously opinions here will vary, but man that **** took forever.

- Playoff scheduling posted along with the regular season schedule. No reason not to do this, will hopefully help with some of the scheduling issues.

- Increase minimum (and maybe maximum) team size. 5 people just doesn't work, it's impossible to get them all to show up consistently.

Anyway, just figured that now's the best time to start this discussion so this stuff gets settled before a new league begins.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:18 AM

We're currently doing preliminary work and thinking for the next league.
We = Evil, Kuja and myself

There will be an official announcement pretty soon. Stay tuned.
And yes, Locomotion and grotto will probably be in the map pool from what it looks like. Start practicing on those right away.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 AM

Next league will be done by me, evil, tyr. We still talking about what we want to change/do differently ect. Can confirm we decided week ago that both Grotto and Locomotion are being added to the pool for next season. I was actually going to open a suggestion thread but might as well let this one be it. Any idea/suggestions for next league post here please!

edit: **** tyr beat me to it
edit2: expect both those maps to appear on league servers soon.

Last edited by Kuja900; 08-17-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:21 AM

Increase roster size to 12.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:36 AM

Oh and I think we also have decided to call it Altitude Proleague or APL.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:38 AM

I think ten is large enough a roster. Otherwise you end up with a few powerhouse teams with all 12 slots filled with really good players and a boring league.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:04 AM

Remove lost city.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:08 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

There will be a lot of changes, but Altitude Proleague will be announced tomorrow, and registration will start in 2 weeks.

I already have a website that i'm working on. We will have many discussions between admins and see what is most popular for the layout of the next season. Consider the summer league Season 1 APL, and this coming up league, season 2

Congratulations on fLb for winning,
Congratulations on Ace for achieving the first rank and coming 2nd overall

fn/lobstars for tying for 3rd
(playout maybe

the more teams the better.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:32 AM

FANTASY DRAFT TOURNEY

Tourney's are fun, but we just got over a mammoth one! If we start another tourney, it'll just be the same thing over again. Let's do something different!

instructions:

-Admins take collections of interested pilots and interested captains. Judging on the amount of participants, they can choose the number of required captains and teammates. 5 v 5 is always preferable, but 4 v 4 with more teams participating would be fun too.

-Admins choose team captains from a pool of volunteers.

-A fantasy draft is held, where captains choose participating players.

-If teams have issues with schedules, time zones, or just want to mix things up, let there be trades! Captains can trade players (hopefully player willing) up until a trade deadline a few days after the first week of games.

-Don't know how long the tourney would be, but preferably 3 weeks with 3 or 4 games a week. Playoffs could be the same system currently used.
Have a drawing or volunteer thingy for team captains.

-----------------------------------------

PROS:

-less skilled players can fly along side of veterans.

-skill gaps between teams will be lessened.

-this would be really cool
-------------------------------------

CONS:

-fantasy draft might be somewhat hard to organize

-Admins may have to choose captains they know will be reliable

================================================== ====

ideas? I love me some tourneys, but I don't feel like replaying what we just did. Yea you could make some changes, but the outcomes will pretty much be the same. Not much changes in 2 weeks. We need something new. We need something different. We need.......FANTASY DRAFT TOURNEY BONANZA
Old 08-17-2009, 06:32 AM

I do think we need some provision to make it so there's less 3v4 games going on. Here's a "few" options I've come up with.

Option A: Increase Roster to 12. Cons:Less talent to go around to other teams.

Option B: A "Free Agent" System. Allow teams a sub-in from a self-proclaimed free agent pool for some of their games. Cons:So many headaches. Differences in skill between the agents, differences in skill between the agents and the teams, drama with who gets what agent, etc.

Option C: Paired Teams. Each team is paired with another, they can use 1 player per game from that team, but each player only once per season. Cons: People with full rosters will abuse this in high-stakes games to pull talent from paired team.

Option D: More time to schedule matches. Cons:Massive headaches. If one week isn't enough will two weeks do it?

Option E:Bots fill the teams up to full. Cons:Bots are random, need to setup servers specifically for 5v5, bots stealing the big bomb is never good news.

Option F:League smaller than 5v5. (3v3 league) Cons:3v3 is random.

Option G:Provide some incentive for teams to do 3v3 instead of 5v3 so that a match is played. Cons:Incentive, if meaningful, gives large advantage to a team that wins several 3v3s. Incentive, if not meaningful...is not an incentive? Maybe teams could accrue "huge balls" awards which help them get into the playoffs in some small way (extra game win per match played down or so.) Also, 3v3 is random.

Option H: Punish teams for not fielding 5 more harshly/Reward teams for fielding 5 consistantly. Cons: Insult to injury.

Oh, and Option I: Leave things as they are. Cons:Rampant understaffed games.

Increasing roster seems the simplest and, despite the consolidation of skill, is my favorite option. Could definitely be combined with "huge balls" awards or the option to have bots fill the server to 10.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 AM

Default yes, i am double posting

FANTASY DRAFT TOURNEY

Tourney's are fun, but we just got over a mammoth one! If we start another tourney, it'll just be the same thing over again. Let's do something different!

instructions:

-Admins take collections of interested pilots and interested captains. Judging on the amount of participants, they can choose the number of required captains and teammates. 5 v 5 is always preferable, but 4 v 4 with more teams participating would be fun too.

-If teams have issues with schedules, time zones, or just want to mix things up, let there be trades! Captains can trade players (hopefully player willing) up until a trade deadline a few days after the first week of games.

-Don't know how long the tourney would be, but preferably 3 weeks with 3 or 4 games a week. Playoffs could be the same system currently used.

PROS:

-this would be really cool and something different

CONS:

ideas? I love me some tourneys, but I don't feel like replaying what we just did. Yea you could make some changes, but the outcomes will pretty much be the same. Not much changes in 2 weeks. We need something new. We need something different. We need.......FANTASY DRAFT TOURNEY BONANZA
Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as red as black View Post
FANTASY DRAFT TOURNEY

instructions:

PROS:

-this would be really cool and something different

CONS:

backups too?
people don't all show up to matches as it is...
Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilarsenal View Post
backups too?
people don't all show up to matches as it is...
of course. captains would draft at least 7 players, participating player pool permitting. If less people sign up, just make it 4 v 4 so that less players are drafted per team (like 5 draftees) while the tourney still maintains a decent number of teams
Old 08-17-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
of course. captains would draft at least 7 players, participating player pool permitting. If less people sign up, just make it 4 v 4 so that less players are drafted per team (like 5 draftees) while the tourney still maintains a decent number of teams
it would be too hard to organize anyways
drafts always fail over time anyways and everyone might not want to participate

there's no reward for winning either.. ur a pug team
Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 AM

I'd join if you threw that together ARAB, but I would be concerned about the small team size...if that weren't obvious from the huge post I made up there before seeing yours.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I'd join if you threw that together ARAB, but I would be concerned about the small team size...if that weren't obvious from the huge post I made up there before seeing yours.
ther's a league on the way, i will announce it tomorrow, nothing else is necessary
Old 08-17-2009, 06:51 AM

I think ARABs idea would be better for a mini tournament held one day or something with like 6 teams and 4v4, similar to today playoffs.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 AM

PLEEEEEEEEEE(note the number of "e"s)ZE don't make it the same thing over again. Or the same thing with just little changes. That's one way to lose more and more involvement. Just doing the same damn thing over and over again with the same teams on top. Why not just have a tourney of fLb, ACE, L*, SS, and FN at that point?

MIX IT UP. You don't have to kick this thing out in a hurry. THE LAST TOURNEY ENDED TODAY FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!!!. Do you really have to announce another one tomorrow!?!?!?!?!?! Another one which (As far as we know) will be pretty much the same thing as the last?

i'm up for another tourney, but I'd seriously recommend some further discussion before calling it on.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
PLEEEEEEEEEE(note the number of "e"s)ZE don't make it the same thing over again. Or the same thing with just little changes. That's one way to lose more and more involvement. Just doing the same damn thing over and over again with the same teams on top. Why not just have a tourney of fLb, ACE, L*, SS, and FN at that point?

MIX IT UP. You don't have to kick this thing out in a hurry. THE LAST TOURNEY ENDED TODAY FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!!!. Do you really have to announce another one tomorrow!?!?!?!?!?! Another one which (As far as we know) will be pretty much the same thing as the last?

i'm up for another tourney, but I'd seriously recommend some further discussion before calling it on.
it will be different...

top teams change, as far as i know FN didn't haven't beaten any of the top 5... overrated team IMO
before, ACE and fLb weren't the top 2 teams, lobstars is new, FN was new, and fLbSS was new, no one expected fLbSS to even make playoffs or beat lobstars... so ,,!,

so stop complaining, get better as a team and change that...

this league is organized a specific way, if you can't dedicate yourself than don't bring it down just because you can't see it fit.

tourney doesnt start for another 5 weeks....
Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 AM

Agreed with Monxy on a one-day playoff version of the draft.

And hopefully the teams will mix up some.

Oh, and idea on the league for you guys. I'd recommend having teams play other teams with the same record whenever possible, pairing from the top down, rather than having a set list of teams that they will play. It works fairly well at sorting the best to the top and, perhaps as importantly, giving all the teams more matches at their skill level.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 AM

i wouldnt organize that ;[

unless people really wanted me too... i could prolly do ti well
Old 08-17-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
it will be different...

top teams change, as far as i know FN didn't haven't beaten any of the top 5... overrated team IMO
before, ACE and fLb weren't the top 2 teams, lobstars is new, FN was new, and fLbSS was new, no one expected fLbSS to even make playoffs or beat lobstars... so ,,!,

this league is organized a specific way, if you can't dedicate yourself than don't bring it down just because you can't see it fit.

I withhold further judgment until seeing official post tomorrow.

edit: actually screw that

If not much changes, I foresee more team dropouts than signups from the past tourney. I foresee 95% same players on playoff teams. I foresee 95% same playoff teams.

Hopefully these changes will be more than just small administrative rules like maps, how to deal with dropouts and no-shows, playoff systems, games per week...boring crap like that.

---------

I don't want to bitch or complain. I just want to have very high hopes for the next tourney.

Last edited by as red as black; 08-17-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I withhold further judgment until seeing official post tomorrow.
sweet

i'm going on a run after chilling wiht my sister... so round 4-5 pm est it will be released
Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
it will be different...

Please FN can beat ZS and lobstars, but hey lets ignore a good team that gave the champions of the league a competitive match today because they have no vets, and haven't played good teams. Stop overrating teams like lobstars and ZS.

oh and btw ive practically replaced our two worst player with much better players already.

Last edited by [FN]MONXY FIST; 08-17-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FN]MONXY FIST View Post
Please FN can beat ZS and lobstars, but hey lets ignore a good team that gave the champions of the league a competitive match today because they have no vets, and haven't played good teams. Stop overrating teams like lobstars and ZS.

oh and btw ive practically replaced our two worst player with much better players already.
i like to hear this

Last edited by evilarsenal; 08-17-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:59 AM

FN can be a good team if they didn't have to resort to using people like san or mastercoop. No offense, but they are pretty average. People like uberknarf and hurripilot can help the team but they seem to have a hard time making the matches.

Also, draft league would be good for a quick 1 weekend thing or something. For a real league, I would much rather play with my team.

There is no reason people cant get better at this game. Granted, alot of playtime is required but its not like its a ridiculous amount either. I mean flbSS improved ridiculously in just a span of like 2 weeks or something. People like mikesol ufo manatee u can tell their game is improving.

After someone reaches a certain point in competence, alot of it boils down to teamwork. Someone who's not the best mechanically could be a great help to the team by playing the right way.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:13 PM

watch my new thread for this message and soz tyr -.-'

ps ty for the vids their not that bad quality for an ipod

Last edited by wolf'j'max; 08-17-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:35 PM

Wat

Dude, create your own thread if you wanna set something up. Nobody is going to see this here.
This is for discussion about the next big league.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:59 PM

Lolz soz ill delete it my best *u really cant say the name wcap'nwolfeg* friens

(sheez wut vid was it u aaid that name?)
(the vid is random captains game part 3 search for tyraltitude on youtube)

Last edited by wolf'j'max; 08-17-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

Quote:
Oh, and idea on the league for you guys. I'd recommend having teams play other teams with the same record whenever possible, pairing from the top down, rather than having a set list of teams that they will play. It works fairly well at sorting the best to the top and, perhaps as importantly, giving all the teams more matches at their skill level.
This.

I am not really interested in winning a tournament, or practicing too hard and all that. I am interested in playing fun matches against evenly-matched opponents. I don't want to play matches that are a waste of time.

Mostly I want to **** around with Lobstars on ventrilo.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:16 PM

The ideal way would be for each team to paly every other team.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:56 PM

Second idea if you want to shake up the team dynamic.

Each team must field ONE OF EACH PLANE.

WOAH.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:

WOAH.
Team Timaeus proposes to do exactly that.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:

WOAH.
hey that actually sounds fun
Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:

WOAH.
hell yes 123
Old 08-17-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguard View Post
hey that actually sounds fun
demo players are gone xD