Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:05 AM

So, I gave this map a much needed update.

I took away some of the small blocks because they weren't really adding anything significant to the gameplay, I lowered the L shape in front of the goal to allow for the possibility of a long shot and I shrank the diagonal |_ shape a little bit to decongest the lanes.
Also pretty important, I moved the goals closer together by 200 pixels or so.
Oh, and I added a little bit more shrubbery to the game layer.

This map should play even better now!

Last edited by Oyster; 07-11-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:14 AM

doublepost

Last edited by Oyster; 01-17-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:24 AM

This and eidum look very nice visually, but unfortunately they don't quite work in Altitude. Almost everyone is going to para false these maps because it is too difficult to distinguish collidible objects from those that are not.

On this map the light colored pillars as well as the light rays cause the biggest problems. You really need to make the pillars blend in more with the background. How about give them a slight blue tint so it looks more like they are underwater? The light ray effect may be fine if you make it a lot more transparent. It won't pop as much, but that is a good thing to improve playability.

For eidum the background objects also still pop too much. You say you made them more translucent but I can't really see any difference. It will still look good if you make them blend in much more with the background and will make it playable.

Additionally I'd try making the bridge and supports at middle slightly translucent, like 80%. Just so there is a small but noticeable difference between that and the collidable objects.

If you get the visuals more playable without forcing para false I will put them on ladder next month (added enough new maps for now, waiting 2-3 weeks before adding more ball maps).
Old 01-20-2015, 07:30 PM

Updated with increased translucence for the background and changed a few of the fish's swimming patterns.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 PM

Looks very good now. Will include this in the next set of new maps added to ladder. Planning to hold off on any additional new maps until start of next season in 2 to 3 weeks.

I believe this map will need to be reduced in width a little, but it is close enough I am willing to test the current version.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:31 AM

just noticed a slight error on this map - the L shape near the goal on the right side doesn't match up with the left.

I'll fix sometime when I get home in the next few hrs and put up a new DL link
Old 01-26-2015, 05:09 AM

Is it easier to just mirror everything (except the center blocks)? Or will that break things?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango777 View Post
Is it easier to just mirror everything (except the center blocks)? Or will that break things?
Yeah, mirror is absolutely necessary. I just forgot to do it for that one brick :P

okay new download link is up

Last edited by Oyster; 01-28-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
[FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"]I think the map making scene is too segregated and filled with hate.

What if instead of each trying to come up with the next best thing and taking all the glory for ourselves, we all pool our talents and experience together to make a community-built map?
[..]
Let's build something together ^^
Hi,

I had an idea I'd like to explore with other players. It's a coop TBD map that is symmetrical, where the teams don't have a shared playing field.

They need to cooperate to get to the enemy base before the other team does. In the beginning I wanted the map to fit the screen without scrolling so that players can feel the pressure from seeing the other team progressing. It didn't work like that

I had a first go yesterday. The structure is there, but of course it's ugly and untested. The difficulty needs to be adjusted to ensure there's a way to win if there's only 1 player on each team.

What do you think?
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...67105609483218

HMS Failboat (MAD)
Old 05-16-2015, 01:34 AM

Quote:
I think the map making scene is too segregated and filled with hate.

What if instead of each trying to come up with the next best thing and taking all the glory for ourselves, we all pool our talents and experience together to make a community-built map?
[...]
Let's build something together ^^
Um, Oyster, can you and others try make a map based on area control? And can it use these scattered around? This is a concept I really wanted to explore for a while, but I can never get it right by myself. I would like to see how it works out if more people try to make this concept real.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotflolocopter View Post
Hi,

I had an idea I'd like to explore with other players. It's a coop TBD map that is symmetrical, where the teams don't have a shared playing field.

They need to cooperate to get to the enemy base before the other team does. In the beginning I wanted the map to fit the screen without scrolling so that players can feel the pressure from seeing the other team progressing. It didn't work like that

I had a first go yesterday. The structure is there, but of course it's ugly and untested. The difficulty needs to be adjusted to ensure there's a way to win if there's only 1 player on each team.

What do you think?
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...67105609483218

HMS Failboat (MAD)
This is definitely a concept I've been toying with for a while, TBD and Ball variations. I've also thought of a tug-of-war type of thing where two teams start in the same tube on opposite ends and have to clear out rets to reach the ball in the middle. I was going to do another co-op map next, but I could try one of these ideas instead if the general public were more interested.

Mango: A possession mode would require a timer for ball mode, which is impossible using the map editor. Maybe someone could code a server to include a timer on a ball map, but that stuff is beyond my knowledge. Also, I'm not sure what you were going for in that picture. A group of 4 missles together?

Last edited by Oyster; 05-16-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:21 AM

Quote:
[...]
Also, I'm not sure what you were going for in that picture. A group of 4 missles together?
Yes, that is the idea of a missile turret. A volley of missiles fired every few seconds.
Quote:
[...]
Mango: A possession mode would require a timer for ball mode, which is impossible using the map editor. Maybe someone could code a server to include a timer on a ball map, but that stuff is beyond my knowledge.
I was planning this for TBD, so the area to be controlled would have the bomb spawns. The area to be controlled would also contain most of the powerup spawns, so controlling the areas would be very important. Is there timers for TBD? I'm don't think so. I guess a simple timer could be constructed with a turret right? (I have a turret timer in one of my (failed) coop maps)

Last edited by Mango777; 05-17-2015 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:04 AM

Okay, so I had a few requests to convert some of my ball maps into TBD. First one to get a makeover is Carpia!

Download link and screenshot is at the top of the OP.

Enjoy!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster View Post
okay, so i had a few requests to convert some of my ball maps into tbd. First one to get a makeover is carpia!

Download link and screenshot is at the top of the op.

Enjoy!
tbdtbdtbdtbdtbdtbdtbdtbdtbdtbdtbdtbd

thanks sir oyster
Old 07-11-2015, 06:07 PM

Nice updates Oyster. This map is a pretty good ball map. I have came to like it. The tbd and new ball version are on ASDF Server now.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 PM

Thanks for converting to TBD. Its a good start but I think a few changes are needed if you want this on ladder.
  1. TBD maps get a lot of hate from competitive players when long mine hops through the middle are very easy.
    • You should adjust the middle a little to make it impossible or at least extremely difficult to mine hop from long range.
  2. Turret HP bars are covered by other objects.
    • Turrets need to be on a layer > any surrounding objects.
  3. Ball to TBD conversions often fail if the map is not wide enough for TBD.
    • The distance from base to base is too small right now. Bases are about 200 pixels farther apart on cave and you really don't want to more than a few pixels closer than how it is on cave.
    • The good news is you can probably make this map work without increasing size. You have a bit more space to work with if you bring the bases up a little higher.

Here is an example of a layout I think addresses these:

http://altituderank.com/mapdownloads/tbd_carpia.altx