Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN1SH1NG View Post
There will still be a mode added where planes will be assigned to players when creating teams. This mode will rank players per plane type (separate ratings from regular ladder where you use whatever plane you want at any time).
Interesting, but as with any derivative mode of the regular, there is a very high likelihood that it will cause more friction within the community than actually add variety (RIP dodgeball). That said I really like the idea of having ranks displayed not only for the overall rating, but also separated out into plane types. That way even if the rest of the system is screwed up favoring certain planes over the others, the disadvantaged players will still be able to compete against one another in rating in their respective domains. Right now the spotlight is heavily placed on only a few people. Spread the love a bit and people won't care as much about their rating in the bigger scheme of things.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:53 PM

While I am not opposed to a handicap in theory I have trouble visualizing how any of you plan to quantify it with any amount of accuracy... In DVD's example, all rating difference between my and sanis's play is attributed to an objectively higher skill ceiling for TA than trick, which I don't accept to be true, at least not in totality. For Van's, which is a bit more feasible since it isn't so complex, I still don't see how you'd quantify the HC without biasing existing rating difference towards reflecting only plane played and not skill.

Last edited by Fartface; 03-11-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:56 AM

Also, to add to this handicap argument, it is hard to base plane skill cap on just someone's end rating alone... If I had not had a domber hiatus, which tanked me 1000 elo before I finally started winning games, then I would be the same rating as Fart. If this ratio were to go through, I would have a much easier time surpasing Fart next season. This really wouldn't be fun for anyone involved. Would have to figure it out some other way, such as it being just the elo gained from a certain plane. Which I don't know if it's possible so it would be rather difficult.

TL;DR Would be best not to give someone an unfair advantage if it isn't properly implemented.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:51 AM

The worst aspect of any handicap is it will be subjective. There is no way to base anything on current ratings unless a player almost only played a single plane all season. Certainly these players exist but it reduces an already small sample size.

Again with my method it would be points added to your real rating that are used for rankings but not team balance. I could run different handicap formulas on the current season and see how it affects the rankings.

Because loopy and biplane have a chance to rank well, even if it is more difficult than for main randas, I am very reluctant to apply any type of subjective handicap on them. I know it will bring a lot of chaos at the end of seasons where people are arguing about the handicap and people will argue who really deserved to win the season.

I feel better about giving a boost to bomber and explodet only because I think everyone will agree they are at a major disadvantage.

There will be adjustments to the team balancer which will benefit all players. The biggest change, as I have been wanting to implement for quite some time, is taking average goals or goals + goal assists per game into consideration when determining teams. This will prevent one team from being much stronger offensively.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:56 PM

So Vanisher, when do you plan on running officially the new parser? Any specific date to start the new season yet?
Old 03-12-2015, 12:26 PM

Goog question - when new season?
Old 03-12-2015, 01:34 PM

^^^^^ give us a clue van
Old 03-16-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo0nche3se View Post
^^^^^ give us a clue van
cant take a min to write a date or a time frame or even a ****ing metaphor.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:16 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo0nche3se View Post
cant take a min to write a date or a time frame or even a ****ing metaphor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2f...e_gdata_player
Old 03-17-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggomyeggo View Post

OMG OMG OMG rugrats blast from the past

Also i just read what i put seemed a bit more aggressive than i meant it to be
Old 03-25-2015, 11:49 PM

Vanishing, what is your goal on when the next season will start?
Old 03-27-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blln4lyf View Post
vanishing, what is your goal on when the next season will start?
you sir ask far too much!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:46 PM

Sorry, had a lot going on and haven't been able to work on ladder much over the last two weeks. Also completely burnt out on ladder and Altitude in general. I doubt I continue playing other than maybe pubs occasionally.

All I will say is it will start within the next three weeks with my expectation being between April 13th and 15th. I'd expect the new parser to go up for testing on 7th of April and testing will last about 1 week. If I have any reason to have anything tested before then there may be some brief open testing as early as the middle of next week.

edit: Still haven't had time to do much work so new parser won't be up for testing yet. I'm going to try to have it up Thursday, but again that is nothing firm. Absolute worst case scenario it will be up by the middle of next week. I have a lot of time this week to work on this. Then all of next week is wide open.. only thing I will be doing is working on ladder.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 04-06-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:14 AM

You could always just try and restart the old one! Thanks for being a boss.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:50 PM

If I take any shortcut it would be to have one last "beta" season using the new parser. 75% of the work is small details I am trying to get implemented to make the code much more powerful and flexible. It would be much quicker to get it functioning at the level of the current code and have a short season while coding in the rest of the features.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:23 PM

thank you for the update van
Old 04-11-2015, 03:54 PM

Is there someone else who can take over the project? It looks like Vanishing has lost interest.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:54 PM

Carlos our savior
Old 04-11-2015, 06:49 PM

Thanks for your efforts, Van! Altitude may have a small player base, but those who are still around really appreciate the time you've put in.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:10 PM

I have lost some interest yes. I put way too much time into Altitude and got burnt out. But the new season IS coming in the near future.

I have been totally caught up in real life stuff/work lately and haven't put much time in for awhile. However, I'm completely free next week and will put in 10+ hours per day starting Sunday or Monday until it gets done.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:02 PM

I think I'm just going to leave ladder down a couple days. It will be a little easier on me to get work done this way. Literally the only thing I am doing between now and at least Thursday is coding ladder.

The new ladder server will be up either Tuesday or Wednesday for initial testing.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:51 PM

Great to hear man. =0)
Old 04-15-2015, 05:25 AM

New password?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:48 AM

Its the same closed testing server I have had for awhile. I'll probably make the password 'beta' when it is time for open testing. I'm still trying to have it open by the end of tomorrow , like 9PM EST, for everyone to join and test.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) will be too late and probably not far enough along for much testing. As I will have very limited time on Friday and Saturday, I'm hoping to have lengthy testing on Thursday starting around 3 or 4PM EST. So anyone who can help Thursday after that time please get on. Expect bugs and a good amount of sitting around while I investigate and fix bugs.

Also don't expect to be amazed by any new features. It will be a bit longer before the code reaches the level of the old parser. The only big new features so far are pub queues, etc which most ladder players probably don't care about and cross server bans.

Core features such as parsing the server log and collecting stats was done long ago. At the moment I am getting everything integrated with the database.

The goal is to have very stable code for league by Sunday. I will be writing most of the ladder specific code starting Sunday night and that should not take long. I might be able to get some basic ladder features in by Thursday to do some testing, but the focus right now is APL.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:49 AM

What will the next season be called? Beta season #~~? or Gamma season 1? or something random that I didn't think of? Sorry for not using the search button
Old 04-15-2015, 06:23 AM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango777 View Post
What will the next season be called? Beta season #~~? or Gamma season 1? or something random that I didn't think of? Sorry for not using the search button
yeezy season
Old 04-15-2015, 07:01 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

shmo is pro

shmo is pro

shmo is pro
Old 04-16-2015, 02:42 AM

Unsurprisingly not many on this late so will just wait until tomorrow to test. I think I can have it far enough along tomorrow for meaningful testing. Again really need to thoroughly test this tomorrow to make sure it is stable for APL on Sunday.

Will open up the server for testing sometime between 3-5 EST, password beta.