Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:32 PM

Default can't change resolution on MacBook Pro Retina

I can't seem to change the resolution on the MacBook Pro 13" Retina with Iris Graphics card. When I attempt to do so the screen flickers and while lower resolutions allow me to find the Cancel button on the higher resolution this is not possible and you have to quit the game.

is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Old 05-15-2015, 03:58 PM

I have the exact same model and no problems. In the options my resolution is set to 1280 x 800 (higher doesn't improve graphics anyway, I see no difference) and I play in windowed mode.

Maybe it works if you go in the fullscreen mode (fn + F3). Change the resolution to 1280 x 800 and then change back to windowed mode.

If you want to get rid of the black bars at the top and bottom, go in your altitude folder --> config --> options.xml

Change the beginning of line no.9 to

overrideResolution="1280,720"

Make sure that the quotation marks don't change.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:16 PM

Thanks for your reply. It seems it is stuck at the default resolution like you said. If I try to change the value to anything other than that (lower or higher) it just produces this kind of a screen.

Tried changing the values in the options.xml and it's the same thing.

Could it be my Java? I installed the one from the apple's support website?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 8.14.08 AM.jpg (10.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-15-2015, 04:43 PM

Ohh, i am just seeing that I get the same screen as you, when I use the full screen mode and change the resolution. But I remember that it used to work and it didn't improve the graphics, so i suggest to just leave it at defaults. Besides that, I prefer to use the windowed mode, since it allows you to tab out of the application.
I am using OS X 10.10.3 and Java 8, so it looks like there is a problem with OS X (I remember I once could change it without problems)
Old 05-15-2015, 08:35 PM

On my 2012 iMac the graphics used to look great when I adjusted the resolution, made a big difference. Now I switched computers and it is not even let me change it like with your results.

I'm also on 10.10.3 but I'm using JavaForOSX2014-001 to install Apple Java

So while on the previously attached you see it kind of looks a lot sharper especially fonts (depending what res you try switching to) when you try to change the resolution. I would imagine the gameplay would also be a lot sharper.

I like full screen for Altitude, although some other games I play windowed.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:55 PM

Hmm... I just installed I guess another version of Altitude and now I can switch resolutions (it switches after 1-2 minutes) the menu seems nicely affected with crisp graphics, but the game itself still looks default.

Starting and exiting the game takes 10-15 minutes as I see the screen flicker black/white/etc. So I'm guessing it's the game that causes that?

I downloaded the "new" version from another post here on the forum. Here is the link; http://nimblygames.com/altitude/altitude_201.dmg