Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:21 PM

Default Carpia & Eidum Updates

ball_carpia:
  1. Para false changes - removal of fish & plants from game layer, different background color
  2. Moved top corner powerup spawn in a bit to make easier for defense to collect, was hard to find the time to fly up there. Felt like the design of goal area was more favorable to offense so giving a tiny boost to defense.
  3. Very minor fixes

ball_eidum
  • See post #11

tbd_carpia
  • Added, see my post in carpia thread in map making forum for screenshot.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 07-25-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:43 AM

Nice job, I like how the fish move.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:01 AM

Oyster designed the map. I only made some adjustments for ladder.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:17 AM

on that map that is drawn on lined paper, can you remove those house things near the goals. i feel this will make the map play noticeably smoother.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapon View Post
on that map that is drawn on lined paper, can you remove those house things near the goals. i feel this will make the map play noticeably smoother.
Are you talking about the background? Tried para false?
Old 07-24-2015, 06:51 AM

I think he means the castles
Old 07-24-2015, 10:37 AM

No like the actual objects
Old 07-24-2015, 05:00 PM

By smoother I thought you meant your framerate dropped or it was otherwise a noticeably choppy. I suppose maybe you are referring to the building right under the large floating islands or whatever is in the background?

Assuming this is the case anyone else have any opinion on removing it? I think I've only played this map once, not enough to come to any conclusions of my own.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:47 PM

removing the actual objects, the house things sitting on the second platform under the spawn near the goal, will make games play smoother.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:40 AM

i think clap is suggesting removal of the castle building collision to improve the map gameplay. as it is the map usually takes quite a while to finish. removing those buildings (or moving them into the background) would give offense more options and eliminate a source of weird bounces, so i agree with his suggestion. also it seems to me like it would give the map an interesting shape and flow.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:13 PM

I've removed that object and balanced out the routes. The height of the tall objects in center was significantly reduced. You can no longer easily spam the middle from spawn. The background color was also adjusted.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:19 AM

you really should just make small changes to see how they are affecting play rather then changing the whole thing each time.
the new version is a completely new map.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:28 AM

Eidum was very unpopular (gameplay and brightness of background) and it seemed either major changes were needed or to remove. The middle was the biggest issue. It is quite different now, but it certainly is not close to being a completely new map.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 07-28-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:37 PM

Imo the middle and the top of the map are not viable at the moment. It is too hard to get across through middle. Lower part has no cover from enemy spawn, top part is too close to the spawn. The top lane isn't good for anything.

I'd remove that basket marked with blue box or make it smaller. It would open up the upper middle and give more options in moving.

Secondly, the chokes marked with red are too narrow. The little triangle obstacle is good since it blocks spam from spawn, but at the same time it makes the exits too small. The upper choke is too close to spawn and the lower choke is too risky to use with high speed. (or at all if there is a whale covering it.) Chip down the corners from middle mountain thing or make the triangles slightly smaller.

I don't like the jagged edges marked with yellow. Flattening them is something I'd do after the other fixes in case the map was still stale.

-J
Old 08-06-2015, 01:37 AM

A lot of newer maps get unfair criticism for jagged edges. Cave is the obvious example of a map full of jagged edges that is in almost everyone's top 5 ball maps. Several other ball maps have them too. On the most recent version eidum they aren't much different than the pebble on asteroids. The bottom border was very jagged in the original but I already smoothed most of it out.

These were hand drawn graphics by Oyster and probably would take a bit of time to try to modify the objects. I personally have no problem with a few jagged edges. It only means you have to be a little more careful where you throw the ball.

I did however go through and redo all the collision outlines to reduce a lot of the smaller bumps and improve the bounces from the bigger jagged edges you pointed out (a bit more down/up bounces vs straight backwards). The map should play a lot smoother now.

I also further reduced the size of the top middle object as requested to open up some space in the middle as well as the gaps to the sides. Again I think the criticism is a bit unfair to newer maps when some of the favorite older maps have even smaller gaps in places. The new version should be noticeable wider though. I can reduce the size further if it proves necessary, but I think the new size should be fine.