Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:58 PM

Default ball_arrow

I used some objects of the ball_tbd version and rearranged them for a ball version after adding some texture.
I hope that the backward facing spawn won't be a problem since it is quite close to the middle.

ball_arrow

Last edited by Jonus; 08-24-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:02 PM

So, i told you yet jon how much i love both maps, expecially tbd version.
We have played at least 20 games on tbd and there wasnt anyone disliking it, i think its well balanced and very fun too play, the background is wonderful and the size is perfect!
I please you Vanish to give it at least a try, u won't dislike it, we really need new tbd maps like this to revive the mode. i would really like if you could upload this to tbd_ladder, we can make a poll, im sure all tbd community would like this implement in the map pool.

Last edited by tomato man; 08-20-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:31 PM

Obviously the majority of TBD ladder community would NOT want this map in the map pool for the single fact that it is a neutral map. However, I may be willing to add it to test as I am not completely opposed to adding neutral maps. I see two major issues with this map though:
  1. The diamonds near the bases are too large.
  2. The triangle at top middle is too wide, making that long narrow route up top terrible.

I might be willing to add as-is for a couple test games, but I'm sure at least those two things will need to be changed.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 08-19-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN1SH1NG View Post
Obviously the majority of TBD ladder community would NOT want this map in the map pool for the single fact that it is a neutral map. However, I may be willing to add it to test as I am not completely opposed to adding neutral maps. I see two major issues with this map though:
  1. The diamonds near the bases are too large.
  2. The triangle at top middle is too wide, making that long narrow route up top terrible.

I might be willing to add as-is for a couple test games, but I'm sure at least those two things will need to be changed.
I made the diamond smaller, but it can't be made that much smaller, otherwise a lob would become too easy.

Since there is a power up above the triangle, map control gets important here. Even if you don't know if it's safe to go there, it may be worth the risk for the power up (especially a shield/wall would give you an advantage up there). Despite that, it is smaller now.

I also made a non-neutral version, which has to be tested yet.
It was always nice to have a lot of action in the center around the arrows.
The center is empty now, but I am not sure if it makes sense to put anything there. Maybe a health spawner, so there aren't too many power ups.

neutral version:

Old 08-20-2015, 07:23 PM

I was not saying it had to be changed to team bombs. The problem though is that a large portion of TBD ladder hates ALL neutral maps or at least hates having to worry about games on neutral potentially taking a very long time. If you want to try the neutral map on ladder first that is fine. Let me know which version you prefer to put on ladder.

The new version looks a lot better. However, I do think you are overthinking things. When you are still relatively new to map making you often try too hard to prevent certain things (such as lobs on TBD or long shots on Ball). You don't need to prevent them completely.

This map is no where close to allowing lobs and there is still a lot of room to work with. With lobs you mostly just want to be sure that they can't easily be done from the opposite site of the map. You can't prevent shorter lobs without causing other problems. If you look at existing TBD maps you can see that there are many places to hit short to mid range lobs. However, opportunities to set up and successfully execute a lob at less range is rare. When it happens the opponent usually has eyes on it and know it is coming. The danger is mostly with long lobs where you can just sit back on your side and continuously lob unseen bombs at your opponents base.

But these are just general comments and I'm not suggesting you make any additional changes until it is tested on ladder.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 08-20-2015 at 07:26 PM.