Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Default Patch: august 26th, plane ball game mode, bug fixes

================================================== ===============
August 26th, 2009

new game mode Plane Ball (ball_*) -- shoot the ball into the enemy goal

fixed lots of bugs

================================================== ===============

This patch contains an initial implementation of plane ball. Without testing it against real players it's hard to get a feel for whether it will work out, but I'm optimistic on theoretical grounds. I expect we'll need to make some significant adjustments as testing reveals:
1) What exactly plane ball maps should look like (overall size, powerups, spawn locations)
2) The speed penalty that should be applied to the ball carrier (currently the same as big bomb)
3) The speed at which the ball should shoot out and slow down (to make for interesting passing and shooting)
4) Other issues?

Please try it out and let us know whether you enjoy the concept. Feedback and suggestions are appreciated.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 PM

Vas ist das!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 PM

Notes on planeball:

1. The first map is not good (caves is too crowded, difficult to pass). Open maps like Core and Hills would be better. Or, bring back the old Soccer map.

1.5 More powerups, especially shield, wall and health.

2. No speed penalty, or very small penalty, for the ball carrier please. This would encourage more passing (e.g. passing downfield to a player who is beyond most defenders).

3. Passing: speed & deceleration of the objective mode ball seems about right (Stack & I were experimenting with a soccer variant using that mode). Of course the ball should shoot STRAIGHT not up at an angle like obj demolition.

Other than that this new mode looks great. The goal is just the right size.

Last edited by Sarah Palin; 08-26-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Palin View Post
1. The first map is not good (caves is too crowded, difficult to pass). Open maps like Core and Hills would be better. Or, bring back the old Soccer map.
Definitely disagree. Maybe Core has the right balance, but Hills is waaaay too empty (hate that map: easy, empty, straightforward and.. i hate that :P).
Quote:
2. No speed penalty, or very small penalty, for the ball carrier please.
Agreed this one.
Quote:
3. Passing: speed & deceleration of the objective mode ball seems about right. Of course the ball should shoot STRAIGHT not up at an angle like obj demolition.
I suggest more speed and less deceleration, that imo would make the game more fast-paced and would add focus on passing the ball. Agreed with straight shooting.

Good work, guys!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 PM

ball moves too slow to make passing effective
Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
The first map is not good (caves is too crowded, difficult to pass). Open maps like Core and Hills would be better. Or, bring back the old Soccer map.
i will work to make all the official maps
playable to this game type... =]
Old 08-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Quick bug-fix / test-gameplay patch:
* fixed a network bug
* flying inside the goal's scoring area while holding the ball now registers as a point
* ball now shoots straight forward at a higher speed

Quote:
i will work to make all the official maps playable to this game type... =]
Excellent Niko0olas -- we definitely need more plane ball maps to test. One note: I think we will always want the spawn points out of the main flow of action (along the lines of ball_cave) to allow momentum to develop, but feel free to experiment.

Last edited by lamster; 08-27-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:07 AM

Any chance of getting this on a 10 max server?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Make your own?

Also, I like the new mode! I'll try to have it on my website by tonight so people can upload maps to the experimental server.

Two observations: With the amount of "swarming" that naturally happens due to there being a focus of attention like a ball, it seems that loopys are good because they just unload their missles while pointing in the general direction of the ball, and get lots of kills. The splash from bombers and explos seems strong as well. Playing as miranda or biplane so far has seemed way to weak, you get killed my spam too easily.

Second: several times we have tried to "team swarm" the enemy goal, but what seems to happen is one person tries to throw the ball, and a team mate accidentally picks it up, preventing a score. But I guess that is just part of the gameplay, don't get in the way

Last note: I just tried to fly into the goal with the ball, and I crashed into the far end.... so i don't think that works right...
Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Dude i have a 5v5 planeball server up, have had one since patch was released.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 AM

needs bigger maps and less planes for sure
danger wouldnt be a bad map for this
Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 AM

Bug report:

This was pretty awesome. I spawned RIGHT as the other team score, but before it resets or whatever, so i had about 2 seconds where it was me and the ball on the map. Almost scored before they could do a think.

Maybe add a pause, or reset people who are spawning. I imagine people would have been pretty upset if i had scored

Edit: also want to add that i have now seen 3 people crash into the goal without scoring. (as in, they fly right in, and explode, but no points)

Last edited by michael; 08-27-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to slabchin

zomg this is gonna be awesome
Old 08-27-2009, 02:46 AM

You may now upload ball_ maps to altitude.bluehawkdesign.com and they will appear on "Community Maps" within a day.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:00 AM

How about putting planeball baskets on the tab screen?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triped View Post
How about putting planeball baskets on the tab screen?
Or changing "Demolition Expert: 0" (since there is nothing to kill) to "Goals: 2" or something.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

I am not sure I like how passing / shooting works. Often times I'll try and shoot and it'll pass to the plane behind me. Unsure if this is ping caused by the other players (cause my ping is very low).
Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 AM

Yesssssss! Volley wins =p Stack mode KEKEKEKEKE
Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Only got a chance to play a few games, but the mode seems really really fun. Clearly SOMEONE is a genius for coming up with this idea.

Some feedback:

- Disagree that you should speed up the ball carrier. The slower the carrier goes, the more that passing is encouraged since it helps your team stay much more mobile. There's going to be a lower limit where it just stops being fun, but at least a small speed hit is necessary imo if you really want a lot of passing (which is the most fun part to me).

- Passing to teammates intentionally is a little too hard right now I think. Not sure how to fix this without causing other problems though.

- I know this is just temp art, but a more sports-themed ball would help set it apart aesthetically from the other game modes I think.

- Longer maps would be more fun imo. Maybe even some kind of custom spawning where you always spawn closer to the ball on a long map? I dunno, needs to be played around with.

- Maybe I'm alone in this, but I didn't like that most of the goals I saw were people just running into the goal. Forcing players to shoot the ball into the goal would be more fun I think. Maybe have some kind of team-only laser destructo barrier a few inches in front of the goal to enforce this? I dunno, I just think it would be really fun to have to at least shoot the ball a couple inches.

- I feel like the obj game mode was prematurely abandoned. Planeball is more fun so far, but I think obj had some promise and with good maps could have been pretty interesting/fun. I dunno, maybe you could hold a mapmaking contest with some kind of prize (10 free reg keys to give to your friends!) or something to encourage people to start experimenting with ball and obj maps?

- Maybe add something other than TBD/FFA on the main official servers? I think you'd get more feedback if people didn't have to go out of their way to try obj/tdm and now ball.

- agree that cave is a little crowded for planeball, makes for few passing opportunities.

- I saw a 2nd ball icon a couple times, although it looked like no one picked it up so maybe it's just that the offscreen icon feature is bugged? no idea.

- once I saw a ball fall down into a little nook and several people died before it could be retrieved. you should probably add an idle ball rule where the ball respawns in the center if no one touches it for X seconds. altho really planeball mappers in the future should just avoid this problem by having relatively flat bottoms on their maps.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:35 PM

4 new maps ready to be hosted...
[mayhem,core,lost city & asteroids]

I will make hills also... bt i hope it will regain the maps name
cz of the easy to bomb in tbd... x]
=]
Old 08-27-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I didn't like that most of the goals I saw were people just running into the goal. Forcing players to shoot the ball into the goal would be more fun I think. Maybe have some kind of team-only laser destructo barrier a few inches in front of the goal to enforce this?
The problem is that then a player could just hover in front of the goal (with reverse thrust) making it impossible to score.
Quote:
I dunno, maybe you could hold a mapmaking contest with some kind of prize (10 free reg keys to give to your friends!) or something to encourage people to start experimenting with ball and obj maps?
Ok, 10 reg keys are quite a BIG prize. 1 would be more than enough. In my experience (climbing contests, running) having a lot of small prizes is better than a single big one. Full game weeks/weekends would do the trick, imo.
Quote:
Maybe add something other than TBD/FFA on the main official servers?
It's really time to see locomotion, objectives (and ball) on the officials. Oh, and please, REMOVE the timer on euro servers -_-'.
Quote:
I saw a 2nd ball icon a couple times
I think when you get the ball an indicator aim at the goal.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Two observations: With the amount of "swarming" that naturally happens due to there being a focus of attention like a ball, it seems that loopys are good because they just unload their missles while pointing in the general direction of the ball, and get lots of kills. The splash from bombers and explos seems strong as well. Playing as miranda or biplane so far has seemed way to weak, you get killed my spam too easily.
Yes, loopy and bomber spam work here. But also:

Explo - either thermobaric or remote mine can kill the ballrunners + coterie easily. Thermobaric can divert aim for a last minute save.

Biplane - extra health makes for a good runner. Excellent at defence as it chews up ballrunner's tail.

Miranda - time anchor Miranda has made me top of the scoreboard multiple times. The tricks you can play with it (with ball or without) are awesome. And I've seen tricksters tearing it up too.

In short: no plane sucks on this mode if you fly right.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
The problem is that then a player could just hover in front of the goal (with reverse thrust) making it impossible to score.
I'm okay with that. Just shoot the sumbitch.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:50 PM

goal keepers are useless. One less plane fighting means their whole team will be in front of your goal.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I feel like the obj game mode was prematurely abandoned.
Seconded.%
Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguard View Post
goal keepers are useless. One less plane fighting means their whole team will be in front of your goal.
both teams can agree to have 1 goal keeper. less spam that way too
Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 PM

well if people can cooperate, it would be nice to have a goalie box in which only the goalie can be in. Shooting the goalie is prohibited.

but this is altitude and people will do stupid **** so scratch that
Old 08-27-2009, 11:13 PM

current goals aren't even large enough to have a goalie. You can basically cover the entire thing with a big enough plane.

Plus I can't imagine how ****ing boring playing a goalie would be.

(EDIT) also agreed with objective mode.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

Quote:
- I feel like the obj game mode was prematurely abandoned. Planeball is more fun so far, but I think obj had some promise and with good maps could have been pretty interesting/fun. I dunno, maybe you could hold a mapmaking contest with some kind of prize (10 free reg keys to give to your friends!) or something to encourage people to start experimenting with ball and obj maps?
I agree. The map situation is horrible for obj and pb, pretty bad for ffa, and not great for deathmatch either. Contest would be cool.

I will put any good maps up on New England servers!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
current goals aren't even large enough to have a goalie. You can basically cover the entire thing with a big enough plane.

Plus I can't imagine how ****ing boring playing a goalie would be.

(EDIT) also agreed with objective mode.
on second thought your right. Could be viable when we get variable goal sizes and smaller faster bouncier balls
Old 08-28-2009, 10:15 AM

goalie wouldn't work because if they disconnected it'd screw things up.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
- I feel like the obj game mode was prematurely abandoned.
- Maybe add something other than TBD/FFA on the main official servers? I think you'd get more feedback if people didn't have to go out of their way to try obj/tdm and now ball.
obj hasn't been abandoned.

Official servers only host official maps due to verified content (see options->account).
Old 10-09-2012, 02:15 AM

And so alti died ever since this update
Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 AM

Way to revive a dead thread of 3 years ago.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appeltaart View Post
Way to revive a dead thread of 3 years ago.
Meh your a new member, you dont get what ball did to the community
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
If you don't like it, then leave. Save the ball for those of us who enjoy its existence. We have fun playing, and I'm pretty sure that's what really matters.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:57 AM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
will you get the **** out already jesus ****. i feel like i'm losing brain cells reading all of your posts you dumb mother****
Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to lxyao

please ban him
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 PM

I have a ban request for leggo, hes raging at me which is making my eyes water, only problem is, I HAVE NO EYES!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lxyao

Thermo, leggo is quite a good forum member, he knows when to have a laugh and when to be serious. Dont revive old threads.
Closed Thread