Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:10 PM

Default ball_coop_cerberus

ball_coop_cerberus is COOP map designed for players to join 1 of 3 missions. In each mission, players must help advance the mission of other players. Only with players completing each of the 3 missions can the map be completed.

The map is uploaded to my "Map QA" server. But, I wanted to put it here to elicit suggestions. This is this is my first map, so any suggestions are very welcome.

Download: https://github.com/biell/alti-maps/r..._cerberus.altx

~~~
I finally got the map_editor working with wine!!! It turned out to be easy once I deleted my existing .wine directory which had turn of the century era junk in it.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:54 AM

I should tell you, i tried to get into map qa today while that map was being played. It wouldn't let me in. Could be a problem with my computer though. Just thought it should tell you.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:30 AM

I like the graphics. Will try it tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:00 AM

Love me some new coop maps... keep up the great work! I'll try it with Brutal if we're on at the same time.

Btw... can this map be done solo?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Love me some new coop maps... keep up the great work! I'll try it with Brutal if we're on at the same time.

I don't think it can be done solo since he said "players must help advance the mission of other players" but I could be wrong. I'll be testing this map after Skyleague tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post

To complete this map solo, you will have to backtrack a few times. Also, you will probably want to take advantage of the Map QA "/changePlane" feature. It is designed for a randa, loopy, and whale leg (or head in this case). You can successfully interchange loopy and randa with skill and/or persistence. But, the whale portion requires shots beyond their reach.

With 2 players, do the whale and randa first, then go back for the ball loopy way.

If you see dead planes, be careful, they were probably killed by a high-powered turret.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:02 AM

Map looks nice, I'm wondering how you made the terrain... It looks like some brush function on a image editor program was used.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango777 View Post
Map looks nice, I'm wondering how you made the terrain... It looks like some brush function on a image editor program was used.
I started with a picture of a rock. I cut out the square I wanted, then blurred and sharpened a little, then used the gimp's "make tilable". Finally to help it blend, I set the texture up with a brown semi-opaque color. The background for navigable areas is the same png, but with a dark blue overlay color, much less see-through.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:17 AM

No, I meant how it looked like a brush tool was used for the terrain, not hte texture . All the edges seem round you see.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango777 View Post
No, I meant how it looked like a brush tool was used for the terrain, not hte texture . All the edges seem round you see.
Oh, sorry. Mostly. I used a solid brush on a transparent background to start the walls. Then, after the import, I removed the picture, but kept the generated hull. After that initial import, all changes were done by hand. I zoomed in a lot on the curves to keep them smooth.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:05 AM

Ahh. The finished product looks really nice
Old 01-17-2016, 01:14 AM

Default Reworked map

I never liked all the nukes on this map. My originaly plan was to have randa way pass demolition charges to the whale way, and have the whale plant them on the the bases to open the lanes. I didn't know at the time that demolition charges wouldn't work on anything but a 1de map. Being my first map, I added a bunch of nukes to destroy the bases. This, not surprisingly, led to misuse, abuse, and general tom foolery.

This update fixes much of that by using lured turrets to destroy the first base and the giant turret which blocks randa way on the far right. I left the nukes for the second base, these see less abuse, so I think things will be OK.

I also removed the nukes from the shortcut.

The screenshot and URL in the first post are updated for the most recent version. I hope everyone finds it more playable now.