Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:15 AM

Default PlaneBall.com Launch

Planeball.com is finally live. Sadly it is still very rough and only about 1/4 of the way complete. It will still be awhile before it is worth putting money into advertising it.

Finally there are proper ladder stat tables comparable to old ladder (only players who have played at least 20 games are listed). However, player profile pages and game stats need to be re-added & greatly improved. Also ball is the only mode on the site right now. TBD will not be much work as it is mostly reusing code, but I am not sure yet how I want to integrate it into a site primarily featuring ball.

Updates coming soon:
  • Beginner Guides
  • SL 12 Game Results including YouTube links on SkyLeague page
  • Mobile compatibility for ranking tables, currently too wide and breaking mobile view (at least in portrait mode). Less important columns need to be hidden on mobile.

Even beyond the player profiles, stats, and beginner guides, there are several pages of content that I want on the site such as ball map list (with screenshots, download link, etc), how to use the map editor, and hosting your own server. Information about upcoming PlaneBall.com pub servers and new game modes will need to be integrated into the site. I am hoping to get the server code for Football & Hockey completed in November so we can get those up (in pub). The code isn't that complicated. The hold up has more been the in-server play queue concept which is difficult to execute. I will probably have to scrap that plan for now as it is far less important than having working pub servers.

Since I am sure some will ask the online player list for ladder is not on the new site. https://planeball.com/ranked/ will still say the number of players online, but the player count only shows if 7 or more players are on. If you want to see who is online, use the player list page which by default is ordered by time last online.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 11-11-2015 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:58 PM

Default bug or multiple accounts?

I noticed this on the site today (see attached image). Both Breeze and XX2 are listed twice. Is this because they have multiple linked accounts? If so, it might be nice to see the alternate Nick listed on the non-primary accounts, so if you were playing with someone, you know it really was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dups_in_player_list.jpg (19.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-20-2015, 12:29 AM

I noticed it happened to both my accounts as well. Might be because they're listed through Vapor ID and not nicknames.

Edit: I think data just might not be sorted correctly. One of my accounts should say "shirley" instead of my 2nd account's name.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:08 AM

It is working as intended. Some people want to be able to see vapor id, so I included them in the list. The easiest way to do that is separate rows duplicating the rest of the info.

Nicknames are tied to ladder accounts, not vapor id. So it will always show the last nickname used regardless of vapor ID for linked accounts.

I think it works fine as-is since the only time there really is any issue is the rare case (basically only Brutal) where a player has multiple accounts joined to ladder servers or if your timing is bad and you look at the site right after someone switches to a different account.

Nickname history will be on player profile pages and if desired maybe I could add nickname searching where it will look through all nicknames used in ladder to find who has used a certain nickname.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:49 AM

It is a really good job, vanish. planetball looks amazing. I hope that can bring more people to alti, you really deserve that.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:08 PM

Thank you VAN, for continuing to endeavor improvement of altitude through hard work. Any old fool can make plans, but not many can get things done like you have. Kudos, keep it up.

I share many of the interests in which you work, and too am willing to contribute with person-hours; however I'm currently spending most of the limited time I have available for these things on SolemnSky. I hope that our interests will at some point intersect, however; some of these interests, specifically, are:
  • To gain the attention of some demographic of players who could productively contribute to such a game / community.
  • To develop more effective match-making systems for this genera of team games.
  • To tweak existing game modes as seen in Altitude to produce more engaging gameplay.

Although my project is currently in an infant state and planeball.com currently lacks traction outside of our community, with faith in our continued work we should already have our eyes on some interesting read-outs into the future!

-Duck

Last edited by MagneticDuck`; 11-09-2015 at 08:00 PM.