Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Clan Organization
FAQ Community Calendar

Clan Organization Clan recruiting and other things clans want publicized.

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:42 PM

Default {ball*}

The elite and exclusive team from {ball}

bAllstars
Captain:
drunkguava [loopy/explodet] EST

Vice-Captains:
wiseguy [loopy] EST
Harmonica [explodet/bomber] EST

Members:
Andy [everything] GMT+1
Anghell [bomber] GMT+1
CCN [miranda] GMT+8
Cid Highwind [explodet] EST
JackShaftoe [loopy/bomber] CST
MadDog [loopy/explodet]
Nikon [bomber] PST
Sky [whale, laser randa]
Triky Rik [loopy] EST?

EST=GMT-5; CST=GMT-6; PST=GMT-8
Logo designed by arty.

Last edited by drunkguava; 03-09-2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: WOOHOO, Harmonica!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:57 PM

Default Match Results

I'll be posting results from officially scheduled matches (i.e. by myself, wiseguy, or harmonica) right here:
  • 2/23/2010 - {ball*} v {ball} 4v4
    3 - 2 W
  • more to come

Last edited by drunkguava; 02-24-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:07 PM

(reserved for recruitment procedure)

Last edited by wiseguy; 03-03-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:11 PM

Hey team, so I want your thoughts on recruiting for {ball*}.
I think we should aim for 10-12 people so that we can ensure we have a balanced team for any matches that we might play. Not everyone will be able to make every game so this will be a buffer for no shows. At this point, I think we are done recruiting loopys, with the possible exception of some really good ballers you might spot. Otherwise keep an eye out for people who can kill in ball games and tdm. But beware of ratio whores, they can be misleading and they're not all that useful.
Any other thoughts or suggestions? Any potential recruiting targets?
For now just friend people who you think might be good enough and interested and post them here or PM me and wiseguy.
This is an exclusive team, so we will only let in the best
Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 PM

10-12 members will be good especially if they happen to be divided more or less equally between US and EU timezones. If not, we may benefit from a few more members, this will allow us to have flexible internal team training / matches, in addition to covering different timezones and not be 'out-pinged' on certain matches.

On the other hand all the players I consider as being good are either already on Ball or are clear that they won't join Ball. Can we get Tortilla in or he want's to stick with sister clan {ball}?

A private forum/community such as the one tgleaf has created will also be useful. Discussing potential new player recruitments and strategies will be easier.

btw I am currently travelling and unable to play ball (my current hotel connection has a ping of 600ms to the most frequented altitude servers). Will be back to the cockpit mid-january.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Just a quick response, MadDog. I honestly have no problem with anyone switching teams ({ball}/{ball*}), especially if {ball*} becomes designated as more competitive, for league play, etc. in the future.

But we are still one clan, and guava and I agreed on keeping a single social group for discussions about strategy, recruiting etc. If you guys feel the need for a private space, I totally get that, too.

And anyone who reads this and has not been invited to the {ball}/{ball*} social group, please private message me. I think I added everyone who is active in the forums.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:02 AM

A private space need not obstruct the fact that it is still a common clan, just the same way as competing against each others wouldn't.

Since there was a decision to split captainship, I assume that both teams will be slightly diverging over time since each captain will have his own theories on the best way to run the team. Diverging does not mean that clans will separate, it means that each team will likely start to build its differences whether it is in play-style, strategies, team formations etc...

Those differences will build up better if they are discussed and fed-back upon amongst the team itself without external input (ie in a private space)

Also, preceding a match between {ball} and {ball*} some team member may want to share his superduperbreakthrough idea on what we should be doing to beat the other team, or simply discuss team formation (which usually is kept hidden as long as possible) and this can't be done well without a private space. When playing each others, I support the concept that each {ball} team should do its absolute best to win, even if it's a common root clan. This simply makes it much more competitive and fun.

It is up to the captains to agree on what's best for the teams. The above is my 2 cents
Old 12-16-2009, 02:00 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

{balls} imo
Old 12-16-2009, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

MadDog, I agree with everything you've written, so guava and wise, it's your call.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:00 AM

Hey everybody. Glad to be with such great players. I feel like I've seen you (and {ball}) so often that this is just a natural fit.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:53 PM

I meant to post this earlier but I forgot.

If you haven't seen the altitude trailer, watch it! ball* is rep'd by Harmonica (Goalie of the Year), JackShaftoe (denied by GOTY), and TrikyRik (recipient of a pretty pass). Check it out on altitudegame.com! Go to 1:04.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:28 PM

Oy. Putting a wall in front of a goal shouldn't make for "goalie of the year". :-/ Admittedly, since I was already smoking heavily there might have been 1 or 2 deflected attempts before a wall was used, but I really hate it when people put a wall in their goal.

Mini-rant:
Placing a wall in the goal leads to a cloud of chaos right in front of the goal, as everyone smashes together into one big mess. A goalie's job is less "defend the goal" and more "keep the ball away from the goal" -- it's not enough to stop the ball; the ball needs to live on the other half of the map. The "cloud of chaos" is thus a situation to be avoided.

A better move is to use the wall to block the attackers while they're still approaching the goal -- ideally, in a place which isn't a choke point. This often leads to a smaller, less-prolonged "cloud of chaos" in a safer place, and if it's outside of a choke point then the defending team often has the space to swoop in, claim the ball, and clear it.

/a somewhat embarrassed Harmonica on a soapbox =)

Last edited by Harmonica; 12-20-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:27 PM

Seems like you have mistaken harm, you didn't get the title because of that wall. It looks like some other guys have recognized you too.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

guava, you can have your $20, the goat, and the set of steak knives back.

I want Harm back on {ball}.

Deal?

In all seriousness (for once), the term "goalie" doesn't really work for harmonica. I hate it when planes sit in/right near the goal to try and stop shot attempts (often futile because the shots go right through them). Harm doesn't do this. We need a new term for his position.

I suggest "sweeper."

And sorry, harm, I sometimes place those goal walls. If you're outnumbered at the goal three or four to one (and not a whale), it can be handy.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

{ball} is the best ball clan EVER!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
guava, you can have your $20, the goat, and the set of steak knives back.

I want Harm back on {ball}.

Deal?

In all seriousness (for once), the term "goalie" doesn't really work for harmonica. I hate it when planes sit in/right near the goal to try and stop shot attempts (often futile because the shots go right through them). Harm doesn't do this. We need a new term for his position.

I suggest "sweeper."

And sorry, harm, I sometimes place those goal walls. If you're outnumbered at the goal three or four to one (and not a whale), it can be handy.

I want your first-born-son tg. I had no use for those knives anyway bc im vegetarian
Old 12-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkguava View Post
I want your first-born-son tg. I had no use for those knives anyway bc im vegetarian
How 'bout my next born? Due in March.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
How 'bout my next born? Due in March.
Oooh, congratulations!

Also: this proves tgleaf is two humans. How else could they make a baby? ;-)
Old 12-21-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
Also: this proves tgleaf is two humans. How else could they make a baby? ;-)
Mitosis?

Congratulations, tg!!!!!!

(and yes that'll do)
Old 12-21-2009, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Well, this thread made it 27 days before the trolls took over.

I may have to change the name of the clan to Secret Covert Agent Ball Stars.

Or... let's see... {SCABS} for short.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:08 AM

When SWN and FFS became (should I say?) huge, they both went down the tubes. This seems pretty "odd" imo because people are expected to learn from the past.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 AM

that's why {ball*} is here moxy, to be a bastion of ball-sanity in the face of the whirlwind that is tgleaf and {ball}.

Edit after reading your post in the {ball} thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxyCrimefighter View Post
What's the point of having {ball} and {ball*}? Chances are you will end up like SWN or FFS.

I don't know exactly what happened with SWN and FFS, but I can tell you what the point of {ball*} is though. Right now, we are pretty much joined at the hip with {ball}, but soon (once our members are all back), we will start to have our own identity. We'll always be allied or w/e and we'll prob steal members from each other for matches when we can't have enough people show up, but the teams will slowly become more distinct in the future.
{ball*} was made because a few {ball}ers wanted a smaller and more exclusive team that would compete in any ball tourneys or matches that came up. We made our own team, and we are staying small. That plan hasnt changed, so I dont really know why you are wondering what the point of ball* is. (it says it up there ^^^)
The leader(s?) of {ball} have their own ideas and plans and that doesn't really affect us. They're doing great and they have great leadership, so I dont see them going away anytime soon. (if you hadn't noticed they also have some of the best ballers out there, veteran and newbie).
Hope this answers your question. If you can tell me more about what happened with SWN and FFS maybe that'd help make sure the same thing doesnt happen here.

Last edited by drunkguava; 12-21-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 PM

guys i am a ballstar now so add me to this list, k, and im bomber=D
Old 12-21-2009, 08:58 PM

Read the PM i sent you, moxie.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:43 AM

Default Specialization

Quote:
Hey team, so I want your thoughts on recruiting for {ball*}.
I think we should aim for 10-12 people so that we can ensure we have a balanced team for any matches that we might play. Not everyone will be able to make every game so this will be a buffer for no shows. At this point, I think we are done recruiting loopys, with the possible exception of some really good ballers you might spot. Otherwise keep an eye out for people who can kill in ball games and tdm. But beware of ratio whores, they can be misleading and they're not all that useful.
Any other thoughts or suggestions? Any potential recruiting targets?
For now just friend people who you think might be good enough and interested and post them here or PM me and wiseguy.
This is an exclusive team, so we will only let in the best
I specialize in Biplane, if you need any
Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I meant to post this earlier but I forgot.

If you haven't seen the altitude trailer, watch it! ball* is rep'd by Harmonica (Goalie of the Year), JackShaftoe (denied by GOTY), and TrikyRik (recipient of a pretty pass). Check it out on altitudegame.com! Go to 1:04.
I saw the original trailer, and now i just saw this. I lol'd. However, I think goalie of the year is a little exaggerated...Or perhaps not...?
Old 12-22-2009, 06:20 AM

Well it's almost new year anyway, maybe Harm will be the chosen one next year too.

He defends well, that much I can say. Just one goat was a bargain.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:59 AM

Hey team,
I need to know who exactly would be interested in playing in the TBD minor league. I need to submit a roster with everyone who MAY play. If we dont have enough {ball*} players, we will ask some people from {ball}. Let me know ASAP.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:29 PM

I'm gonna drop out of the clan guys.

Sorry, but i like to talk foul to my buddies when i play and i don't want to give {ball} a bad image.

Pleasure playing with you guys as always.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietCampo View Post

Sorry, but i like to talk foul to my buddies when i play and i don't want to give {ball} a bad image.

Uhm campo do yiu still keep playing alty because when someone tells you you give {ball} a bad name you tell them its just how you are.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Campo, we're sorry to lose you. You're a good player... any other clan would be lucky to have you. But I appreciate your honesty. I don't care to have people in the clan who don't represent well in-game and on the forums. So thank you and I'll remove you from the roster. Go ahead and change your name.

--tgleaf

P.S. Please feel free to scrimmage with us any time on the servers we use.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
Uhm campo do yiu still keep playing alty because when someone tells you you give {ball} a bad name you tell them its just how you are.
Wolf, I'm not sure you understand how our clan functions. Each clan is different. Campo did the right thing and was honest about it. I respect him for that.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:37 PM

Oh ok sorry leaf ^^' i think i shouldn't have replied to him. Erhem...yes.......
Old 12-25-2009, 11:54 PM

oh whoops, i posted it in the wrong thread
Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
oh whoops, i posted it in the wrong thread
hey dudes can we compete in ball tourney?
thx CCN
Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
hey dudes can we compete in ball tourney?
thx CCN
Guava,

Are we sending one team or two? If it's 6v6, it might be tough to field two teams that can make all of the matches. I know {ball*} is supposed to be the more competitive/league team, but I'm happy to merge teams for the tourney, if you want.

--tgleaf
Old 12-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Guava,

Are we sending one team or two? If it's 6v6, it might be tough to field two teams that can make all of the matches. I know {ball*} is supposed to be the more competitive/league team, but I'm happy to merge teams for the tourney, if you want.

--tgleaf
If we merge could I would be fine being a reserve randa.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:16 PM

Let's merge for this one. After the GT beatdown, it's clear that we will need our best to have a shot at winning this. Tg, me, and wiseguy will come up with our top 12, and ask them to particepate first. I think this team should compete under ball*. Anyone who isn't on that team or doesn't want to be a reserve should be able to make their own {ball} team. How does that sound?

We will need to have practices if we want to win this...
Old 12-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Let's merge for this one. After the GT beatdown, it's clear that we will need our best to have a shot at winning this. Tg, me, and wiseguy will come up with our top 12, and ask them to particepate first. I think this team should compete under ball*. Anyone who isn't on that team or doesn't want to be a reserve should be able to make their own {ball} team. How does that sound?

We will need to have practices if we want to win this...
Sounds good to me. I'm curious to see how the time zones work out. For example, the stated starting time of 1:30pm GMT is a lovely 5:30am for me (PST/GMT-8).

We need to practice on hard wall servers against tough opponents until the tournament. Kuja said we're welcome to scrimmage with fLb on Thursdays after the new year. And he mentioned that the official ball maps will be used for the tournament. I'm still trying to get a list of those, but it doesn't sound like they include many of our favorites. =(

The thread for the last ball tournament can be found at http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:04 PM

I have spoken to a few of my guys and i include myself in this, we would appriciate any chance to gain ball experience with {ball}. So if you ever need any backup players we are more than happy to accomodate.

Ball hard, for life

class
Closed Thread