Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

So we are going to schedule the end of the Season 1 for April 15th (8PM ET). This will be the final date for both the prizes available for the top 3 rated ladder players as well as the most games played.

This date will also be the final submission date for the Video contest. (See thread http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2486).

We are anticipating launching the new ladder system on that day as well, which will include all of the new stats. However, if for some reason it isn't ready for that day we will still award the prizes at that time. So for those of you working on videos, you have a little less than a month to get it done!

Good Luck!
Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
So we are going to schedule the end of the Season 1 for April 15th (8PM ET)...We are anticipating launching the new ladder system on that day as well, which will include all of the new stats.
Crapcrapcrap.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
Okay, no one chimed in about lostcity, but plenty of people in-game are quite unhappy with both cross and labyrinth being part of the ladder mix.
Labyrinth is a great map.

u crazy
Old 03-18-2010, 04:17 AM

cross is tight.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:01 AM

Default banned

Did I really get banned for hitting 1 on a stop tourney vote that was cast by someone else during ladder?

There was a dude at 600+ ping constantly and often at 999 scoring goals b.c no one could kill him with the lag.

Not to mention people stop the tourney because of 4v4 or 5v5 play all the time when they are losing.

It is only 2 days so its not a huge deal, but the fact that I actually got banned at all for this is beyond stupid. I did nothing but hit 1 on a vote during a controversial topic, hell even some on the other team agreed.

Also I hope you banned every single person that hit 1 or I am just getting wrongfully attacked b.c Mav has mod friends and doesn't like me.

Do the right thing and reconsider this, because honestly it is bs to get banned for what I did.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:11 AM

I don't agree with banning for a vote or even calling the vote to stop mid ladder. I was there, I thought it was immature to want to stop the match and I voted against it, but the majority apparently wanted it to stop or it wouldn't have been stopped mid game. Can I tell M4v to go tell his admin friends that blin voted against my call to change a map too? This is an obvious abuse of power and/or miscommunication. I just ask that you please fully look into the issue before benning users. imo nobody should be banned, even the person who called it.

If this is in fact a bannable offense and you wish to stick with the decision I ask that you remove the feature to stop a ladder game completely, because this is not fair whatsoever.

Didn't think voting/calling for a vote was bannable, so hopefully you reverse your decision. In the future you probably shouldn't listen to your little pal and act on pure aggression.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blln4lyf View Post
Did I really get banned for hitting 1 on a stop tourney vote that was cast by someone else during ladder?

There was a dude at 600+ ping constantly and often at 999 scoring goals b.c no one could kill him with the lag.

Not to mention people stop the tourney because of 4v4 or 5v5 play all the time when they are losing.

It is only 2 days so its not a huge deal, but the fact that I actually got banned at all for this is beyond stupid. I did nothing but hit 1 on a vote during a controversial topic, hell even some on the other team agreed.

Also I hope you banned every single person that hit 1 or I am just getting wrongfully attacked b.c Mav has mod friends and doesn't like me.

Do the right thing and reconsider this, because honestly it is bs to get banned for what I did.
I want to point out the fact right off the bat that I WAS NOT THERE TO WITNESS THIS INCIDENT. but from a third party perspective this sounds rather bad and unfair simply from voting or not voting on something should really not deserve a ban regardless. maybe the person who starts the vote but not the voters as much imo. i know myself i usually always press one with out even looking, weather i agree with it or not. and from what i heard about this the reason for the stop may have been reasonable. there has been many other times where the tourney has been stopped for much more insignificant reasons with out any bans or discipline. now im not sure on any banter or talk that was taking place in chat at the time that may have warranted, along with the vote, a ban but just the vote and having an opinion seems abusive to me. again i wasn't there so i am saying this without witnessing it first person. so i hope either there was more of a reason or everyone that voted yes gets treated equally.

with much love,
Clapon <3
Old 03-21-2010, 03:29 AM

Guys, take this up with the mods over PMs. No need to cause drama in the forums as well.

I'm certain that after the Ace Ranks debacle, the community would like a respite from any personal in-game issues.

Last edited by Herodadotus; 03-21-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.altitudeladder.net/rules.php

It's in the rules and it is common knowledge that stopping a ladder game is prohibited. I have the results of the vote itself as well as the chat logs of when this happened. Also, note that you were playing on the no max ping server. Therefore you made the choice to play the game with those people.

I got the report of the incident and then I got both sides of the story. I was the one who implemented the bans, but it is only two days.

We are looking into changing the threshold of the stopTournament command to something really high (like 90%) to prevent one team from highjacking a game's result, which is what happened in this case (only need 50% currently). If we simply remove stopTournament we would also have to remove changeMap, which means you wouldn't be able to mess around when waiting for new players. I guess it's up to the players whether they want it more strict. However, this was the first real problem we had with players trying to avoid a loss. So hopefully it will be a lesson learned and we can all move on.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 AM

Stop ****ing crying blin
Old 03-21-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodadotus View Post
Guys, take this up with the mods over PMs. No need to cause drama in the forums as well.

I'm certain that after the Ace Ranks debacle, the community would like a respite from any personal in-game issues.
I hate people like this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't know why, they just annoy me. Who died and made you admin?

Quote:
or what? It's nice being able to see problems like this and seeing how they get solved. The forums are for sharing experiences, asking questions, solving problems, and bitching. I like to know what's going on in the world of altitude. If you don't, gtfo or stop bein a lil bitch because you're annoyed you clicked to this thread and realized you didn't care about what was here. And lol you make it seem like this drama is really getting to you and is just such a burden on your system.

Quote:
you are certainly wrong

again...forums are about in-game issues. And you make it seem like that "ace ranks debacle" just drained you sooo much that you just can't handle any drama. If you don't like what you see, press the ****ing backspace button and read something else. I like to read about all the issues going on in alti, especially because as of now it still has a relatively small, tight knit community base whose 2 cents on this forum can really affect the game.

==================================

to respond to the issue at hand...I've been a part of many BS ladder games where like 2 or 3 members of my team drop out, then the majority decide to stop tourney. Should we get banned for that? Perhaps ladder games should automatically be stopped if a team's composite ping goes past like 1000? Or if at least 1 person drops for more than two minutes without rejoining?

I think that ladder games should be able to be aborted (with maybe a 65% vote), and that pressing 1 on a BS game shouldn't get you banned.

however, i think Blln needs to stop caring because the ban is only for two days and it's a 2d flying game. Get over it, you'll live lol.

Last edited by as red as black; 03-21-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:43 PM

Wow, that's a monster of a post attacking my two sentences... I guess you're right in the fact that I should've just ignored it, but I don't see this as a problem yet. When only one person has come to complain about the ban, it means one of two things:

1. Blin's the only one with a forums account who got banned.
2. The other banned members have adapted and chose not to whine about it in public.

I'm feeling that number 2 is more likely, so he should've, instead of trying to crusade for a couple of days, just play the game. I took it a bit far with backseat modding, I know. But can you honestly say a two day ban from a private server is really worth complaining over?

I guess I worded my Ace Rankings thing wrong. I meant to use it as a comparison. 'A two-day ban? Some people got permabanned!... And then they all lived happily ever after.' Was just trying to point out that his problem was really just him whining while saving my iPod's battery. My mistake.

Apologies in bold >_>

EDIT: ARAB, I agree with your ideas up there.
And I would like it if you would stop hating me . . . Please?

Last edited by Herodadotus; 03-21-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Banned

I request being able to fly around on the ladder lobby map!

I can't see why not? Altitude Pro League haz it too..

+ unban blln please, he was fun to play a ball game against/with.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:54 PM

Captains mode please
Old 03-22-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Wow, that's a monster of a post attacking my two sentences... I guess you're right in the fact that I should've just ignored it, but I don't see this as a problem yet. When only one person has come to complain about the ban, it means one of two things:

1. Blin's the only one with a forums account who got banned.
2. The other banned members have adapted and chose not to whine about it in public.

I'm feeling that number 2 is more likely, so he should've, instead of trying to crusade for a couple of days, just play the game. I took it a bit far with backseat modding, I know. But can you honestly say a two day ban from a private server is really worth complaining over?

I guess I worded my Ace Rankings thing wrong. I meant to use it as a comparison. 'A two-day ban? Some people got permabanned!... And then they all lived happily ever after.' Was just trying to point out that his problem was really just him whining while saving my iPod's battery. My mistake.

Apologies in bold >_>

EDIT: ARAB, I agree with your ideas up there.
And I would like it if you would stop hating me . . . Please?
I meant to edit the second post after talking Maim, but do you really believe that putting me down is the best way to act as a mod? I decided to complain for everyone, as many people who got banned told me how it was BS and liked that I decided to search information on the issue. Did I have to post about it? No, and the ban doesn't bother me as 2 days without ladder is not a big deal but at first it seemed like we got banned because Mav is friends with the Mods, which would be an issue.

I'm sorry for spoiling your forum experience by posting about it, but seriously get over yourself, if I want to post on something I can, and as a Mod you shouldn't act like, for a lack a better word, a dick.

Last edited by blln4lyf; 03-22-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blln4lyf View Post
I meant to edit the second post after talking Maim, but do you really believe that putting me down is the best way to act as a mod? I decided to complain for everyone, as many people who got banned told me how it was BS and liked that I decided to search information on the issue. Did I have to post about it? No, and the ban doesn't bother me as 2 days without ladder is not a big deal but at first it seemed like we got banned because Mav is friends with the Mods, which would be an issue.

I'm sorry for spoiling your forum experience by posting about it, but seriously get over yourself, if I want to post on something I can, and as a Mod you shouldn't act like, for a lack a better word, a dick.
I'm not a mod. Don't know where you got that from, with both ARAB and I stating that I'm not a mod. It's not that I think you're an idiot, because you obviously aren't. I just don't see the point in making this big a deal over this. And being a jerk back to the jerk. Would that make you a jerk also? Because being blatantly rude to anyone who disagrees with your cause won't help it.

I get your point, but without the opposing sides view, I won't change my mind here.

Looking back, it seems I was a bit short, and I apologize.

Last edited by Herodadotus; 03-22-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Looking back, it seems I was a bit short, and I apologize.
all that matters is how you use it
Old 03-22-2010, 08:34 AM

About the bans:

It's fairly obvious (not to mention in the rules) that you shouldn't be stopping a game you're losing without the consent of both sides first. Sure, someone was lagspiking, but by playing in the no max ping servers you implicitly consent to the risk of that happening. The fact that the vote "passed" doesn't make a difference when the threshold is set to only 50% (thus allowing people to stop the game with votes from one side only). We would change this but we can't, it's hard coded in the game, and we were assuming that people would have enough common sense not to abuse this.

Again, you guys weren't banned because mav is our friend or whatever. Sure, him being our friend made it easy for him to report the issue (by just whispering us in game rather than having to PM on forums or post here), but we would've done the same if it was anyone else reporting the issue. We understand that there was lagspiking and it's frustrating to be on the receiving end of that, so that's why the bans are only 2 days, as a minor slap on the wrist so you know that you shouldn't be voting to stop the game without the other team's consent.

I agree that in a perfect world you would not be banned by simply voting (although calling the vote is another matter), but the way things turned out, your votes changed the result of the game, which is bad. Again, this means that if the threshold was higher, the vote wouldn't have gone through and there would be no problem and we wouldn't have banned you--but as it stands, they did go through and that's why we are giving you a ban, but only a 2 day one as a warning.

To herodatus: these forums (and especially this thread) is for discussing issues like this. Yes, no one likes to see drama, but these need to be resolved, and it's best to do it in public so everyone is held accountable for their actions. If you don't like, don't read. We the ladder admins don't mind people posting issues here because that's how we hear about them. There's also three of us, so if they get posted here we all get to see it rather than just one of us.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:33 AM

So I got banned last night for leaving in the middle of the game. On my end, my connection looked jumpy as all hell and I can only assume my plane was doing weird things to other people. Is it possible to explain it better and leave partway through, or should I just stay until the end next time?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:29 AM

I remember that game and didn't recall any lag from you, so since you didn't say anything I could've only assumed you left for no reason. Been handing out two-day bans recently to let people know that leaving isn't quite ok.

Next time if you experience some lag at least give people a heads up before leaving in the middle of a game. Even though someone on the other side could sit, remember that leaving is detrimental to the competition because 4v4 is somewhat less competitive than 5v5.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:15 AM

IMO it doesn't matter if you have lag problems or if you leave mid game, both of those are bans. If you have lag issues don't play. I feel leaving needs to be sanctioned more. People are whatever and leave. If they got banned for doing stuff like that they would reconsider.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:34 PM

yo I just got DC'd from ladder #3 in like 3 different games. Every other server works fine for me, I joined normal #4 no problem afterwards to test. All of phong's servers were coming up as unresponsive for me.

My ping was ~70, not spiking.

Any ideas?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
yo I just got DC'd from ladder #3 in like 3 different games. Every other server works fine for me, I joined normal #4 no problem afterwards to test. All of phong's servers were coming up as unresponsive for me.

My ping was ~70, not spiking.

Any ideas?
check your internet connection
Old 04-05-2010, 01:12 AM

Occasionally a network maintenance may take the server down, typically performed off-hours though.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:42 PM

i won't be playing this game anymore. my friend quit about a week ago for the same thing.

i was playing a game last night, and somebody from my team left. my team asked the other team to sit and they did not. they continued to play with all 6 players for well over a minute, probably 2 minutes. in that time i personally killed multiple people from their team, as well as constantly and consistently said SIT ONE in chat (along with a bunch of other people from my team)

some members from other team said "i'll sit when i die" and in the mean time flew around killing myself and my team, dying themselves, and respawning without hesitation.

then they scored, and after they scored, somebody sat out (having secured the lead their team)

well, i refuse to play an unfair game like that and i left the game. i'd do it again too.

i got a 3 day ban, and as far as i was told, none of the cheaters were punished at all.

this same exact thing happened to my friend, and he hasn't logged on altitude in over a week, except when it happened to him, the other team had lost a member so somebody from his team sat down, and when the guy from the team got back, he jumped right in and scored a goal, before the guy from my friend's team even rejoined his team.

people in ladder constantly shoot angles and cheat and sit people simply because they lose (they same people always seem to "drop" as soon as the other team pulls ahead)
i've been told by people in this thread that they will sit if there team falls behind just in the hopes they have better luck with a 5v5! people literally drop from a game more often than a game plays out with nobody dropping. with that kind of rate, you'd think people would be fair and understanding about specing to balance the teams.

whenever somebody on the other team drops, i don't care what i'm doing (unless i have the ball) i will litearlly crash into a wall and spec. at the very least, i would simply play Defense while i asked somebody from my team to sit.

the team last night, 60 seconds after my teammate dropped, they were still bring 6 members into our base trying to score. relentless.

It should be against the rules to play a 6v5, especially if there's no doubt where the other team acknowledges the unfairness by saying "i'll sit in a little bit, or i'll sit when i die, or i'm not sitting because i'm too good"

those people are admitting to making an unfair game, and it's unacceptable to ban me just because i refuse to let cheaters take advantage of me.

i of course wasn't asked about why i left or anything like that, and of course none of the people who refused to sit from the other team were disciplined because most of them were regulars in ladder, friends of nobo, who was either involved in the match or actively spectating at the time (he'd typed in chat beforehand)

so anyway, just wanted to say that i won't be playing this game anymore, and will have nothing but bad things to say when somebody asks me if i've heard of the game altitude.

congrats, cheaters. you got your 24 points, and your community lost some (much-needed) support.

Last edited by morelikeATTITUDE; 04-08-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 PM

is there a way for the server to say something like "BLUE TEAM SIT ONE" if say red team were to lose a player?

Then if no one sits after like 20 seconds, it picks someone randomly and specs them for the game or until the teams are balanced again.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

There is nothing in the rules that explicitly say that a team must play an even game. I think ideally we would want to track players who habitually leave games and ban them from the ladder, but it's a large task to manage and there isn't always an admin around to deal with the problems. The ladder was made by three individuals in the altitude community and is not part of the official game. There are still plenty of other servers to play on if you feel that the games there are not fair. Unfortunately, the ladder is mostly left to be monitored by the players who use it. If you see players leaving all the time then you should just make a choice not to play with those players.

As far as what ARAB said, it would be possible to implement such a feature, but I feel like it would be abuseable and it would just add more coding time to nobo and he already has enough on his plate. I think people just need to pick who they play with better and if people are always leaving don't play games with them, report them, kick them from the server or whatever. It's the player's responsibility to police the games when admins aren't around.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't like the rules of those few private servers, why not just play somewhere else? Disagreeing with an optional system in which you have no obligation to participate provides no justification for quitting the game itself.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
Disagreeing with an optional system in which you have no obligation to participate provides no justification for quitting the game itself.
This, and then coming here and rage-posting about how you're going to quit as if a single player who isn't mature enough to handle losing one game because of unfair teams will ruin Altitude, its community, and its playerbase.

And as if that's not enough, you were oh-so-kind to inform us in your ragepost that you'll be talking sh*t about the game to whoever asks about it.

Seriously?

Why don't you take some chill pills and reread your post to see how immature you sound? And if you still feel the need to quit, then go ahead.
The community doesn't "need support" from people like you.

Last edited by [Y]; 04-08-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:42 PM

The persistent game-leaving is the reason I stopped playing ladder altogether, and one of the reasons I'm rarely on Altitude anymore. My last 6v6 ball ladder game ended up 3v5 or 3v4 after a few minutes; the last in a long series of matches that basically just became a question of which team had the most quitters.

I think the ladder is a wonderful idea, but as it's played out I feel it's actually harmed the overall community. Every 5 minutes I get a request to join ladder: the ladder itself seems to drive players offline at a steady rate. It's like a pump pulling players away from the public servers, and flushing them offline.

I don't think anything can justify the full game-leaving ragequit posted above, but I feel that the ladder's apparent "driving people offline" effects merit some additional attention. A "play somewhere else" response does not get us any closer to solving the problem at hand.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 PM

this is why i wanted to be a ball ladder admin . self-policing sounds good, but it doesnt work in practice because everyone is in such a hurry to start the new games. a leaver can jump in easily and play without any time for a vote kick. I think it would be good if a few more players who play ladder often and who you guys consider responsible were given admin powers to help keep the players who leave games out of the server. that will make the game more fun for everyone else imo.
also, i think that most of the current admins are in the same circle of players, so not everyone who plays ladder knows who they are, or are friends with them and can shoot them a message. if you add admins from some other circles, i think you will see a lot more reported people.

btw, im talking about ball ladder here, i don't know how it applies to tbd ladder bc i don't play much of that.

Last edited by drunkguava; 04-08-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 PM

Harmonica, just to clarify your position, you're saying that you agree with the reason behind the temporary ban of (morelikeATTITUDE aka redfangOC) but believe that ladder has become the center of Altitude which you view as a bad thing.

First, redfangOC was banned for a blatant ragequit which brought his team down to 4 and forced the game to be restarted via ladderlobby. The moderators have stated multiple times that they were going to take a much harder stance on people who left mid-game for illegitimate reasons and they've been handing out these short bans much more frequently at an attempt to eliminate the problem that you talked about.

In terms of ladder taking center stage, I have to agree. Outside of the 50 or so league games that I get to play in a year, ladder games are the only real fun I find in Altitude considering the alternatives are 7v7 TBD or 10v10 ball. Ladder also carries with it a certain level of emotional investment which means players will actually try hard to win instead of playing the 'kill the mikesol game' that happens so much on pubs. So yea, ladder has taken a central role in this game because its much more fun.

I don't know how long you've been around, but plenty of "vets" have quit playing Altitude for long stretches of time simply because playing pubs gets boring quickly. The start of ladder showed a massive surge of returning vets and people logging more hours / week (I blame the current inactivity on SC beta). So yea, while some people went to ladder from the pubs, didn't like what they saw and quit the game, I would say even more players went to ladder, liked what they saw and joined the competitive Altitude community. Teams like aV0 and KLF found much of their team via ladder.

But yea, I agree with DG in that there should be a ball-player mod or 2. The problem is finding a respectable, mature, good ball-player and we all know how few of those there are :P

Anyways, judging from his reactions to anything negative in game and the subsequent forum rant, I don't judge redfangOC to be much of a loss. Good riddance.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smushface View Post
But yea, I agree with DG in that there should be a ball-player mod or 2. The problem is finding a respectable, mature, good ball-player and we all know how few of those there are :P
Actually, they aren't _too_ hard to find. drunkguava, truepa!N, and Gemi are good examples of people who would be fair, upstanding BALL ladder admins if the decision was made to include more players in leadership roles.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 PM

Yea I know there's a few that would make good admins. I just can't resist taking shots at ball players.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

morelikeattitude, I think you should understand, that this game has a big population of child players, and you can't expect them to be mature.

Also I support tgleaf for moderator of ball ladder!

Edit: It's sad to see that people would leave a game because of a bad experience...

Last edited by Ajuk999; 04-08-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajuk999 View Post
morelikeattitude, I think you should understand, that this game has a big population of child players, and you can't expect them to be mature.

Also I support tgleaf for moderator of ball ladder!
Not sure I've shown much maturity in the last few days, but thanks Ajuk.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 PM

to the people saying i'm not justified in quitting:
i'm not interested in a game without a ladder server and i'm not interested in a ladder server where over half the games are played in an unintended manner. therefore, i can't play altitude as long as the current system is in place. this holds true for a lot of people who play games for the competition. the fact that the ladder server is a joke (in basically every facet, from the way the teams are selected, to the ratings, to the people who run it, to the rules, to the enforcement, to the quality of the servers, to the maps in the rotation, to everything) means Altitude misses out on a very real demographic of players.
so to those assuming i quit a game i played just because something didn't go my way - untrue. the only way i play a game like altitude is with some kind of ranking system to motivate players to try, and seeing as that ranking system is easily cheated, and often manipulated, there's really not much fun in being part of it.

it's a pathetically unstable player-run and player-moderated server full of cheating and nepotism, inconsistency, and apparently, selfishness. i played a game the other day where nobo spent the entire match talking to people spectating.

i asked them to stop and they all told me to **** off and swore me out endlessly, telling me to shut up and deal with it, telling me to chill out, and that they were allowed to do it because they were talking to nobo, and nobo did nothing except continue to talk to the spectators (i'm talking a hundred lines of chat over the course of the match between these 4-6 people)

I couldn't communicate with my teammates or pay attention because i'm constantly trying to scroll up and see what my teammates were saying in chat, but it didn't matter, because the boss wanted to joke around with his friends so that's what he did, regardless of how it affects the actual person(s) playing the ladder match.
It is a joke.

:This, and then coming here and rage-posting about how you're going to quit as if a single player who isn't mature enough to handle losing one game because of unfair teams will ruin Altitude, its community, and its playerbas:

thanks for putting me up so high, but i never said that me quitting would be the end of altitude lmao. i said your community needs all the support it can get, and it just lost some.

Smushface: Thanks for repeating what i already said about why i left?
and since when is having to play a 6v5 not a legit reason for not wanting to play the game?

i simply refuse to play the game if it is going to be unfair. the other team made it crystal-clear by spawning, respawning, rerespawning, and outright saying "i'm not going to sit" that they weren't interested in fairness, they were interested in their egos.
i even said right before i left "i'm not playing with you cheaters anymore" or something to that effect. and then i left. so you're not solving any big mysteries by 'outing' me here lol...

as for how long i've been playing the game: not long. i bought it a while ago and didn't like the lack of competition on bouncy and nobody played hard walls. i found ladder like a week ago when i logged on to see if the game had changed at all, and played a few dozen games, and the first couple were fine. i quickly realized though that i'd just been lucky, and for the last 20+ games, at least 50%+ have been 6v5 or 5v5 or 4v4 or whatever. last night was the straw that broke the camel's back. i've probably only logged like 30 hours game time or so, and won't be logging any more until the unfairness of ladder is sorted out. and the only way it gets sorted out is by people complaining when they're unhappy.

so you can hate on me and kiss butt all you guys want, but ladder was pathetically implemented and is even more poorly run, and that should change if the game expects to grow/maintain a respectable community of serious players.

Last edited by morelikeATTITUDE; 04-08-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

I know I shouldn't, but I'm going to. Respond, that is. This whole thread is full of players who took the time to comment/complain about ladder and often to suggest constructive ways of improving it. As was mentioned, a small handful of people created and maintain the ladder system for 2000 other players to enjoy. It isn't perfect, but it's a lot better each week/month/whenever the creators have time to improve it. Features have been added, balance has been re-worked and re-worked, etc. So to attack the creators of it seems simply ridiculous when the problem you're describing has to do with selfish or ignorant players who leave ladder games, refuse to spec, or chat and ruin the experience.

Yes, it happens. I've played two to three games out of 140 where players refused to spec. That's an acceptable percentage to me. Doesn't mean it didn't anger me, but I can deal with those numbers. You've played 53 games, so maybe your percentage has been higher, who knows. The game I just finished was at 4v4 within a minute of starting. People politely and quickly spec'ed as soon as a player left. After another 30 seconds, all 12 players were back on the server and it was 6v6. I know ladder matches can often be 5v5, etc. It just seems that you're more interested in ranting than in finding a decent solution. It's also helpful to keep in mind that the ladder system is an add-on bonus feature of Altitude. You're entitled to your opinion of not wanting to play Altitude without the ladder, but most of us find clan matches, tournaments, league play, etc. to be equally rewarding.

There are plenty of people willing to consider alternatives (e.g. broadcasting messages or auto-specing players, as was already suggested) if that's really what you're interested in (i.e. improving your Altitude experience).

Last edited by tgleaf; 04-08-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 PM

i understand where you're coming from and appreciate you trying to help me advance a point but:

"it would just add more coding time to nobo and he already has enough on his plate."

when the owners of the game take the approach that "we would.... if only we didn't have to do any extra work...." then it's far past the point of me being the one who needs the adjustment in approach.

*edit*
i attacked him because it's counterproductive to ban people for leaving a 6v5 but not for leaving a 6v6. i mean, i have to actually lol @ that one.
well, that and the major thing of people being allowed to openly admit they're not going to sit during the 6v5, because since 6v5 isn't 'technically' against the rules, then neither is taking advantage of the situation for your own gain. it's really quite disgusting.

Last edited by morelikeATTITUDE; 04-08-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelikeATTITUDE View Post
i understand where you're coming from and appreciate you trying to help me advance a point but:

"it would just add more coding time to nobo and he already has enough on his plate."

when the owners of the game take the approach that "we would.... if only we didn't have to do any extra work...." then it's far past the point of me being the one who needs the adjustment in approach.

Hi. I dislike you because I think you're a little b*tch but I'm going to curb my rage and respond reasonably to just this one point, because I think there's a misconception here that I'd like to clear up:

I don't "own the game". I have a full-time not-Altitude-related job, and I develop the ladder in my own free time. I was once just a player like you, and instead of going on the forums and complaining everywhere because I wasn't happy with my Altitude experience, someone told me an idea for making Altitude more competitive, and I decided to spend what has come out to over 100+ hours of my own time to develop this, all for everybody's benefit.

Here is the amount of money that I've gotten paid for my service: absolutely none.

So forgive me if I like to do things better with my time than just sit and code all day. Since eth has now quit altitude, I am the ONLY person who codes for the ladder. Every new suggestion to improve the system will take 10-20 hours of work to implement. For absolutely zero compensation.

Go ahead and whine about it all you want, because I am absolutely not going to put any work into this just to satisfy someone like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelikeATTITUDE View Post
*edit*
i attacked him because it's counterproductive to ban people for leaving a 6v5 but not for leaving a 6v6. i mean, i have to actually lol @ that one.
well, that and the major thing of people being allowed to openly admit they're not going to sit during the 6v5, because since 6v5 isn't 'technically' against the rules, then neither is taking advantage of the situation for your own gain. it's really quite disgusting.
That's probably incorrect. I probably banned the guy leaving in the 6v6 as well, you just don't know about it because I didn't announce it. Either that or I forgot to ban him because I typically wait till the end of the game to ban people (to make sure that they intentionally left rather than just got ping-kicked or internet disconnected), and then forgot about it when your inconsiderate raging distracted me, causing me to just ban you. Oops!

Last edited by nobodyhome; 04-09-2010 at 12:29 AM.