Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 AM

*de-lurk*

Quote:
# tbd_chess http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3798

* Concern: Are the chess pieces copyright free? I.E. are they original artwork or in the public domain?
nobo informed me of this thread.

I made all of the chess pieces myself.

*re-lurk*
Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM

tbd_hivepark; isnt in your list but it looks to me that has what it takes - but, was it played? Well, i never did.
tbd_origamipark; i searched and didnt found info on image background rights. Painted hundreds of years ago, still... not sure.
If people decide it plays well i can give it a new background. I think it rocks.
ball_funnelpark. Never understood whats people problem with middle no transparency fact. Other than that its has some graphic bugs.
ball_electropark; Graphics ok. Layout is simple and strong. (never played it).
ball_bangbangpark; plays very very well. Graphics can be pumped/or not.

* The official tbd_underpark has some graphic issues. Original was ok, but after Maimer flatened the layers (cause Kujas computer sucks :; ) the chain conections to the rocks got some pixels out of place. I will fix that.

**Ill try to comment others later but imo any Red's or Pig's graphics is an easy GO.

I think there should be a rule where no official maps can alow bombhop (or whatever u wanna call it) because play becomes a circus. "We can **** the play because its a Pub."

Others tbd_maps:
_Volcano has amazing graphics and layout has changed with time. Clearly no major problems besides bombhopping.
_Poseidon; very good looks but imo has too many layout problems.
_Justice; personaly not a fan of the layout but its tested and a majority loves it. I love pig's graphics. GO.
_Assembly. Looks to have some layout problems yet to solve. Pig's GO.
_Tron. Looks good but play still not there. Maybe it needs 1 more viable route or top route fix. GO
_Scrapyard. Never liked it. I think the problem for me its the lack of visual references. Its all too much monochromatic. Layout is ok. GO with easy fix
_Colosseum. Graphics are good but it needs some contrast to spice it. Layout is kinda boring but it works. GO with fix.
_Skull_island. Never played it but it looks to be a safe layout GO. Adding textures would be great SilentSkies disband tells me will not gonna get them.
_Chess. Dont like it's art and especialy layout. Its a shame if it goes nowhere because it has loads of work hours/days/weeks on it.

Last edited by Mandrad; 02-21-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 PM

ball_cross
happen to disagree with gemi about this map, I have this one on rotation in =AIR= EU Server and it provides some very pleasent games. The graphics may not be state of the art, but the gameplay is very good. IMO this map is the stronger candidate to become an official ball map.

ball_funnelpark
I agree with gemi on this one, at least about the being super tight thing. About the center piece... after one get used to it, it doesn't really matter much, those playing with /para false have some advantage.

ball_atmosphere
My opinion on this one is kinda mixed, sometimes I like it, other times it seems to small and in an instant a team can cross the map and score.

ball_hardcourt
I used to like this map, but I haven't played it in a while. As far as I remember the graphics needed a little polishing.

ball_ice and ball_ufo
To me they're both very similar. Ufo has some obstacles on the left side that are almost as dark as the background. Both need more playing, and then some feedback-induced improvments.

ball_laserquest
I don't think I know this map.

ball_colosseum
Map is too cluttered with some easy to cover and very tight bottlenecks, needs a major redesign.

ball_metal
Promissing map, needs some improvments and better graphics.

ball_thorns
I personally like it. Some people complain about the size and background color on one of the sides. Needs more playing and feedback.

ball_arcade, ball_sewer and ball_factory
Frech out of the assembly line. I like them all, in the order I added them on the list. All of them need more playing and feedback cause they're too recent.

ball_pulse
I love the background on this one, specially the lighter background. Unfortunately people start crying how it hurts their eyes and quickly someone votes the map off, so I never played a serious game on it.

Maps not on the OP but that I think deserve some feedback

ball_bangbangpark
This map has awesome graphics and a very good gameplay, it is voted a lot on =AIR= EU Server. In my opinion one of the strong candidates to be official.

ball_pegs
Pegs are the new pebble, love it or hate it. I personally love it and would like to hear more feedback on this map.

ball_volcano
Although the gameplay is a bit off, probably because the map is too big and spaced, which leads to the inexistence of paths, it has some potential and the graphics are completly awesome.

ball_tetris
IDK if this one has some copyright issues or not, but the graphics are nice and the gameplay is very good.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to SPeciaL

and ball_electropark should replace football. it is also very popular and voted a lot
Old 02-21-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeciaL View Post
and ball_electropark should replace football. it is also very popular and voted a lot
The original electropark was very good, but the games took a little too long. I'm not that big a fan of the revised versions. It's a fun map but hard to figure out what does it need to become official.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 PM

HIVE--
What happened with ball_Hive? The map seems great, it just needs to be a bit bigger and more spread out i would say. The heavy planes seem to Dominate the map quite easliy, Especially thermo.

OTHER BALL MAPS--
Bang bang - still favourite new map so far, the map seems to work TOP PATH may be a bit under used though.

Krawz Slideshow
Any thoughts Dojo players? map seemed to die after Krawz's multiple efforts...

Blind Pilot
His Thorns Map was worked on for some time, im just a bit worried that the ball will get stuck in some of the torns, but i thin khe fixed that on some of his updates *need to test that map a bit more...*
-XX2
Old 02-23-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX1 View Post
Krawz Slideshow
Any thoughts Dojo players? map seemed to die after Krawz's multiple efforts...
I enjoy both Sideshow and Risk, and I'd say that Sideshow is ready or very near ready for serious official status consideration. I would be worried that the 'theme' isn't official material, but I love it.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:47 AM

So many new maps... All dead...
Karlam, isnt it possible to put some maps (say 3) in the Officials for a week or two, then replace them for another pack? This way, people would taste them and participate more. If they wanted them back, they would manifest it. Feedback would lead to improvements...
Old 03-17-2011, 03:36 AM

I think Bowser's needs to be reconsidered for official. It's a great map.

Regarding legal concerns, I don't think that's an issue. I doubt any piece of art in the map is actually copyrighted, excepting maybe the item blocks.

Even if they are, so what? Altitude is so small that the chances of anyone seeing the map that would care are so close to zero as to be non-existent.

Let's say that 1 in 200,000,000 chance that someone from Nintendo notices and actually cares. So what? They send an email saying it needs to be removed or face legal action. The map is removed. No harm done.

There is realistically ZERO risk in having Bowser's be official. Just change the name and it's good.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:17 AM

that's a really good post jrath you really thought it through
Old 03-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Or someone (doesn't have to be Nintendo) files a DMCA complaint w/ PayPal and Valve who then shutdown our accounts.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Or someone (doesn't have to be Nintendo) files a DMCA complaint w/ PayPal and Valve who then shutdown our accounts.

I don't quite understand where you're coming from, Karl.

1. Who else besides Nintendo would care? Mario is Nintendo's copyright. No one else would go out of their way to complain.

2. Who plays this game? Children. Teenagers. Young Adults.

Nintendo Lawyers? Nope.
Nintendo executives? Nope.
Nintendo artists, programmers, writers? Highly unlikely but possible. Would they care? Your indie game with it's tiny user base isn't taking any money out of their wallets or defacing their creative property, so I'm gonna say nope.
Are people just downloading Alti and searching through all the maps looking for infringing material? Nope.

3. Why would the concerned party file a complaint with Paypal of all organizations? As far as I know(and I think I've got a decent understanding of the basics of this issue), that's not how things work. If a company has a copyright complaint against a website or another company, they go directly to that website or company with a takedown notice. From the wiki, "When website owners receive a takedown notice it is in their interest not to challenge it, even if it is not clear if infringement is taking place, because if the potentially infringing content is taken down the website will not be held liable."

No one is going to just shut down your site or any of it's vital services because of a single complaint of alleged copyright infringement. Whoever has the complaint will come to YOU and Lamster first. If that happened, you remove Bowser's, problem solved. No harm done. No cost to you or your business.

Altitude is an anthill in Africa, and Bowser's Castle is an ant on that hill. No one is going to go out of their way to step on that ant.

My dad taught me when I was young, "Sometimes, it's better to ask forgiveness than permission".

I know you're protective of Altitude and your business. It's understandable. You've worked long and hard to make it what it is and for that I thank you. This is just a situation where I think you're being wayyy too careful.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:03 AM

perhaps we can officially rename tbd_bowserscastle to tbd_cowsersbastle as to bypass any sort of copyright laws and whatnot..

If we do that, and then permanently delete any posts in this thread discussing bowsers castle, (to destroy all evidence and cover our tracks in the rare case that Nintendo has some spies playing Altitude) we could then be able to finally play "cowers bastle" in APL5 It is one of the funnest maps in the ladder rotation atm..
Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 AM

jrath holders of copyrights have a legal obligation to prevent others from using their work
Old 03-17-2011, 09:51 AM

You can always attempt to contact Nintendo for permission to use their copyrighted assets/themes/names, however I don't know how much luck you would have. Some companies are ok with this sort of thing, but others are completely militant when it comes to protecting their material.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
jrath holders of copyrights have a legal obligation to prevent others from using their work
They have a legal RIGHT to prevent others using their work, not obligation.

This isn't that big of a deal. The thing is, the chances of someone seeing it who cares and will do something are almost nothing. Say someone did see it and care, Nintendo sends Nimbly Games a takedown notice for Bowser's, Nimbly does it. The end. No one gets hurt.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM

I can understand where you're coming from Jrath, but I think at this point it's more morally fixated in that they would knowingly be conducting copyright infringement.

If it was an accident then yeah...but doing it on purpose is a little iffy.

I think a better option would be to work on changing the graphics and title to make it original, yet still try and keep it as similar as possible? I dunno
Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Administrator

First of all it's for a map that everyone can play anyways so there's almost no point for us to take any risk at all.

Second of all they would go after Valve/Steam just like everyone goes after YouTube/Google not the posters of the videos themselves.

That would completely ruin our relationship w/ Valve who doesn't need us anyways and now we're completely screwed all for a lame map.

Enough said... it's never going to be made official.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrathje View Post
They have a legal RIGHT to prevent others using their work, not obligation.

This isn't that big of a deal. The thing is, the chances of someone seeing it who cares and will do something are almost nothing. Say someone did see it and care, Nintendo sends Nimbly Games a takedown notice for Bowser's, Nimbly does it. The end. No one gets hurt.
you're wrong lol, if you have a copyright and are aware of a violation you MUST act on it
Old 07-19-2011, 05:54 AM

This needs an update.

Also, FFA on the rise.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM

Really? That's pretty cool. Nobody ever really seems to care about FFA much.

(On a slightly related note, albeit 4 months old, Nintendo are apparently jerks when it comes to copyright issues. They tend to shoot down anything like that, Pokédex apps for smartphones spring to mind. But that's OK, because I despise Bowsers and am perfectly fine not being able to play it on official.)
Old 11-12-2011, 11:45 AM

Bamp for interest. Are you still willing to update this Karl?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Yes, we are always willing to consider new maps for "official" status.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:38 PM

http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6559
Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
Maps like tbd_bowserscastle have been denied due to potential copy right issues.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki1024 View Post
Maps like tbd_bowserscastle have been denied due to potential copy right issues.
I know, Lamster was unsure if mine could be an official map, he never said no.