Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > League Organization
FAQ Community Calendar

League Organization Only pertinent league information in here.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrode View Post
As soon as ball upset tc3, ball should have had map choice because we knocked off the one seed.
this is not how it works in any playoff system of any sport i am aware of, and has no historical precedence in apl/sl
Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 AM

Yeah top seed should have "home field" unless the higher seed is coming from the loser bracket playing someone from the winners bracket, ie. the finals
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrode View Post
As soon as ball upset tc3, ball should have had map choice because we knocked off the one seed.
Besides what SSD said this approach gives an unbalanced advantage to being fourth place, as with your approach a fourth seed that upsets a first seed will have server choice when they face the 2nd seed in the winners bracket finals. I could picture teams forfeiting matches to move from 2nd or 3rd to 4th during regular season for that advantage.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM

If anyone's interested I recorded the last weeks BBQ vs Ball and Vlix vs Ball matches, the last few of which I will finish uploading today:
https://www.youtube.com/user/F1r01/videos?view=0
Old 03-07-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
If anyone's interested I recorded the last weeks BBQ vs Ball and Vlix vs Ball matches, the last few of which I will finish uploading today:
https://www.youtube.com/user/F1r01/videos?view=0
Thanks man,thats awsome.
You could do that on finals too ? we're actually looking for a cameraman so 3v could cast the finals with it
Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threevenge View Post
Besides what SSD said this approach gives an unbalanced advantage to being fourth place, as with your approach a fourth seed that upsets a first seed will have server choice when they face the 2nd seed in the winners bracket finals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki1024 View Post
Style 1 believes seeds leading into the tournament gives you better position to win should you continue to play well. It punishes swiftly for losing, which goes along with flavor of DE brackets. It rewards lower seeds who excel beyond expectation.

Style 2 believes the advantage should belong with the seeds, regardless of how poorly an upper seed plays. It hates underdogs to the degree of pushing them down repeatedly.

E4 over 1, F2 over 3, G4 vs 2, 4 gets choice over 2 because 4 beat a +3 opponent, and 2 beat a -1 opponent. 4 had the harder game and won.
3v: You agree with style 2 then. The example given states from Style 1's POV why 4 gets home server. I disagree that a winning fourth seed has an unbalanced advantage vs the second seed in the finals. They had a more difficult road to get to where they are.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

a satellite uk server would fix everything
Old 03-08-2013, 03:37 AM

A hosted LAN SL would fix everything.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki1024 View Post
3v: You agree with style 2 then. The example given states from Style 1's POV why 4 gets home server. I disagree that a winning fourth seed has an unbalanced advantage vs the second seed in the finals. They had a more difficult road to get to where they are.
My comparison here is between third and fourth place. In a tournament where if you beat the top seed you get server choice, it would actually be better to finish 4th instead of 3rd.

Here's a hypothetical situation: I'm playing on a team near the end of the season, currently in third. If I win I stay in third, if I lose I end up fourth. If I'm third and win my way to the winners finals, I don't have server choice. If I'm fourth and beat the 1st seed, I now have server choice the rest of the tournament. Honestly, even if I could place 2nd I'd want 4th! Hell, if an 8th place team beats a 1st place team and gets that server advantage the rest of the tournament, think of how ridiculous that would be. This is a team that's going to have an advantage for the rest of the tournament over teams who earned their spot by playing well for weeks.

I do not want to see a tournament that actually encourages teams to lose. I also don't see how this style hates underdogs...because it rewards teams that played well?

The only reward you get for a good regular season (outside of CP for the first place team) is your seed. It needs to matter when play-offs come.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:06 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

think about the NFL... 1st place is getting that automatic advantage of home, and it would motivate people more to do a lot better in the season... the reasoning is good for 4th getting the server choice for beating the 1st, however i'd prefer if everyone just used the same server too :| euro makes everyone lag and it skews the playoffs way too hard.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCookie View Post
Thanks man,thats awsome.
You could do that on finals too ? we're actually looking for a cameraman so 3v could cast the finals with it
I believe I'll be having a scrim against JAM at 7pm GMT, so I don't think that I'll be able to do it. Though Braz was talking about a possible hold back.. but who knows.. It's better if you had someone else do it.

Last edited by Moon; 03-08-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:29 PM

I pretty much agree with three...the regular seasons "worth" is already incredibly diminished by putting 75%-100% of the teams into the post season. By allowing lower seeds to take the playoff advantage away, after upsetting one team, diminishes the regular season even more. I am also not aware of a single tournament that is handled as you suggested in case 1 aki, could you provide some historical reference because I would be more willing to switch to something that has proven itself to work in the past.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 PM

Just realized daylight savings 1 hour forward happens tonight. Should finals be played at 3est/7gmt or 2est/6gmt? I know vlix and BBQ are heavily euro teams (me, redrum, nade, kuja are the only Americans I can think of) so it would probably work more easily to keep it at 7gmt for the euros and have us come at 3est
Old 03-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fartface View Post
Just realized daylight savings 1 hour forward happens tonight. Should finals be played at 3est/7gmt or 2est/6gmt? I know vlix and BBQ are heavily euro teams (me, redrum, nade, kuja are the only Americans I can think of) so it would probably work more easily to keep it at 7gmt for the euros and have us come at 3est
Good you noticed that man.
As you said,I think we should keep the 7pm gmt and the americans will come at 3pm est.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:54 PM

Normally it would be held at 2 est/6 gmt, but if both teams agree and plan to show up at 3EST/ 7GMT, that is perfectly alright.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknietzsche View Post
Normally it would be held at 2 est/6 gmt, but if both teams agree and plan to show up at 3EST/ 7GMT, that is perfectly alright.
Well,its easier for both teams imo,pretty hard to let everybody know about the new times instead of just telling the US players (who are a minority in both teams).
Old 03-09-2013, 02:22 PM

I forgot about daylight savings. Thanks Fart. Probably better for the US players anyways. Cause I normally sleep in late on the weekends.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:54 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by butts View Post
i forgot about daylight savings. Thanks fart. Probably better for the us players anyways. Cause i normally sleep in late on the weekends.
ಠ_ಠ .
Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 PM

Alright sounds good we'll see you at 3est/7gmt bbq.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 AM

Final: planepark, lost city, ice, funnelpark, core, grotto, snow

If Needed: asteroids, labyrinth, maze, cave, cross, grotto, mayhem 2
Old 03-10-2013, 07:51 PM

http://www.twitch.tv/arkhanno

Going to be streaming the finals for those that can't get in or miss the games.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoCtD32Tlw

For those that missed the games. I kinda did a few things on the fly in this one. Next Finals that I stream/record will be done a lot better because of what I learned doing this one.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 PM

can't hear the 3v and ddp after your mumble crashed .. :S
Old 03-10-2013, 10:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Duck Duck Pwn

I think VAN1SH1NG recorded the audio, maybe someone could patch that on top of ark's video
Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Duck Pwn View Post
I think VAN1SH1NG recorded the audio, maybe someone could patch that on top of ark's video
I have:
Full Mumble recording
720p 60fps Fraps video of each match, ball cam capture mode 1
720p 30fps Fraps video of the team/stats screen for each match

Disappointed that the chat sounds are in the background, but not a big deal. I will try to silence them if I record in the future. Also forgot to turn off recording of mouse in the first game vid so you'll see me move the cursor occasionally so I wouldn't get kicked due to inactivity. Otherwise I think everything worked out fine.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 03-10-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 PM

So something I didn't know: when I muted my mic it muted all audio that was being recorded through XSplit. I didn't know that Astros had that problem. :/ Sorry guys. If Vanishing has the audio for all the commentary then I can edit that in and throw up a new video sometime tonight or tomorrow. Doesn't matter if it's just audio or audio/video. Right now I have work to do for TSSB but once that's done I can work on the new SL Finals video.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:51 PM

Cool stuff guys,thanks for doing it
Yo vanish,please upload it asap can't wait to hear those 2 comentating
Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 PM

If Vlix and t3c could send me their vapor IDs for their teams, I will try to get the CP awarded to them.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM

3v and DN put better reasons to keep things as they are then I stated.