Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

View Poll Results: Which team colors should never be used?
Green 7 43.75%
Yellow 4 25.00%
Orange 3 18.75%
Purple 4 25.00%
Azure 3 18.75%
Pink 10 62.50%
Brown 7 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2016, 08:47 AM

Default Team Colors Poll

I have had a few people come to me requesting that certain team colors are not used such as green, purple, and azure. I am curious what the the rest of you feel about map colors.

The main poll question is which team colors do you never want to be used. If you are fine with all team colors you can voice your opinion by replying and saying so. Personally none of the colors really bother me. But maybe you don't want green because acid, etc. I purposely left off red and blue because those are the ideal team colors if they work well for the map. Blue is often difficult to use though because many maps have blue backgrounds or objects.

Additional questions which you can answer by replying:
  1. Which team colors do you prefer?
  2. Should team colors be updated on older maps on ladder/league servers, even classics like cave? (if the poll results show most want to avoid certain colors)

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 03-19-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:55 PM

The green/yellow combo is hard for me to see when everyone is flying around

Also, green is bad because of acid.

Down with green.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 PM

Also name colors, make them at least match the map colors. Some names are really hard to read on certain maps.

Quote:
[15:59] shirley: gold names feel like we're premium users or something
[15:59] eto'o: or just gay
[15:59] <[qq]JWhatever>: vanbucks is a real thing
map was greycomb
Old 03-22-2016, 01:34 AM

#TeamColorblind
Old 03-22-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki1024 View Post
#TeamColorblind
#TeamAkiForPresident
Old 03-22-2016, 06:58 AM

I'm a color blind / para false player but I don't have a problem with any of the colors

1. I'd prefer whatever colors have the least impact on us
2. The colors are fine for me

Should we discuss red vs blue advantages?
https://youtu.be/X31K6jammH0?t=1m27s

Do you track on ladder which side wins more? With color blind mode left side is always red and right side is always blue. I think some asymmetrical maps had a side preference (tbd_cave I think?) but I'm more curious about symmetrical maps if there is an advantage on left/right side and then if there's an advantage with red/blue colors.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:24 AM

Bothered myself to pick up info on some of the last games recorded in ladder. Unfortunately, only 50 games are shown as a max, which gives us very poor data but it's something you could start working with.

No fancy graph images because I'm lazy.

Win percentage per side:
Code:
	Wins	%
Left	23	46%
Right	27	54%
Win percentage per map:
Code:
		Left	Right	Games Played
Arrow		100%	0%		1
Antre		100%	0%		1
Bricks		100%	0%		1
Carpia		50%	50%		2
Cave		33%	67%		3
Cloud		100%	0%		2
Core		0%	100%		2
Cross		0%	100%		2
Cryptic		100%	0%		1
Cutesy		100%	0%		1
Darkwar		0%	100%		1
Eidum		33%	67%		3
Firepark	67%	33%		3
Funnelpark	100%	0%		1
Grotto		0%	100%		4
Hardcourt	0%	100%		1
Ice		0%	100%		3
Illumination	0%	100%		1
Labyrinth	100%	0%		1
Lostcity2	100%	0%		2
Mayhem2		0%	100%		1
Maze		100%	0%		2
Midnight	67%	33%		3
Planepark	50%	50%		2
Reef		100%	0%		1
Skylands	0%	100%		1
Snow		0%	100%		2
Swarm		0%	100%		1
Ufos		100%	0%		1
Old 03-22-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slender View Post
Bothered myself to pick up info on some of the last games recorded in ladder. Unfortunately, only 50 games are shown as a max, which gives us very poor data but it's something you could start working with.
Where can people see this stuff?
Yeah we'll need more than 50 games though

edit: did you just sift through this? https://planeball.com/ranked/games/

Last edited by XX1; 03-22-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX1 View Post
I remember watching this a while back; very interesting.

Given the weak conclusion that right (blue) wins more often from Slender's data, maybe now we can finally prove that ball is a game that favours tactical players rather than the aggressive.. Pipe down TBDers

Although of course there's also considerable data noise from those who don't colourblind mode... Maybe this is a little useless thought after all.

I colourblind mode; can't say I'm bothered about plane colour as a result.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:38 PM

I was planning to keep track of ladder games from here onward and see what info I can get from that. The data I got last night is based only on a little less than 2 days of games. A week's worth might give us something far different from what we have now. Or well, you know, somehow get the info through Van but I don't really see him putting more than 600 games up on his website.

It's just that the current sample is so small, it's just not representative of what we're looking for.

And yes XX2, I got it from there, but there's just so much info you can get out of that to work with
Old 03-22-2016, 05:03 PM

I don't like green because of how your plane turns partially green when affected by acid.

I don't like azure because of how close the colours in zebra skins are to the azure. (especially if you have purple vs azure)
Never had any issues with santa hat and red or flame and yellow.

If you want to give the impression that this is a competitive game and keep up high standards and such, having pink planes isn't gonna help. Marketing viewpoint aside, pink isn't a bad team colour.

I don't think old maps should be redone.

-J
Old 03-22-2016, 09:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Stam

I think Nimbly Games should have also added black and white, would be another ideal pair of colors.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:12 AM

Flame skins (whales in particular) sometimes look like they're on the yellow team. I think this happens on cave (yellow vs green).

I can't say I've ever been thrown off by acid's green, but then I never play acid.

Overall team color doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I kind of like the variety.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:44 PM

Only viable colours are red and blue. Colourblind mode masterrace.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:27 AM

All the colors in the game should all be kept. Keeping all of the current colors gives mapmakers a choice. If a mapmaker decides to make a map with horrible colors, you have three options. Deal with it, make a recolored map, or don't play it at all. It should be easy to tell which mapmakers know what they are doing or not, and server owners should be able to choose maps that have been made with care. No need to ban specific colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
Down with green.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhatever View Post
I don't like green because of how your plane turns partially green when affected by acid.
Arguments about how green conflicts with acid loopy usage do not make much sense, a green plane flying through an acid cloud is still visible. If you cannot see it, or really do not like it, use the colorblind mode, much like how you can disable rendering of parallax layers if you are nauseated by them. If you do not take these measures to ensure you are not exposed to this, why would even more extreme measures be needed? Not liking the interaction of colors does not mean everyone has to ban green. Plenty of players get on just fine without problems in maps with green teams.

Quote:
I don't like azure because of how close the colours in zebra skins are to the azure. (especially if you have purple vs azure)
Same thing, if you really don't like it, disable skins, or turn on colorblind. If you haven't done that yet, there is probably not much reason to ban that color.

Quote:
I don't think old maps should be redone.
I agree, if they are popular maps. If that is the case, they have been played for years without incident, so why take the time to reinvent the wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stam View Post
I think Nimbly Games should have also added black and white, would be another ideal pair of colors.
I think this would have been nice, but not pure white and black, as it would be hard to tell planes apart. Maybe light and dark greys. But I don't think there will be any updates just to add some more plane colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
Only viable colours are red and blue.
Red and blue is not ideal if there is a blue background though, if you apply the acid loopy argument to it. Not like it matters that much anyway, most colors work as long as they stand out roughly the same. The only problems that should result are if they do not stand out from the background, or other objects, and they are usually pretty minor. Either way, the map maker still has to take this and other factors into consideration when making a map, and good map makers will not make mistakes with plane coloration.

Last edited by Mango777; 04-01-2016 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Fixing mistakes
Old 04-01-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango777 View Post
Deal with it, make a recolored map, or don't play it at all.
In the same light, if you don't like a topic, don't respond to it at all.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Arguments about how green conflicts with acid loopy usage do not make much sense, a green plane flying through an acid cloud is still visible.
The problem isn't green team, it's the opposing one. When, say, a yellow player flies through green teams acid, the yellow player gets bloats of green acid on their plane. The yellow player turns partially green.

Having an alternative acid cloud colour would be interesting. Green primary, yellow secondary. Karlam plz.

Quote:
Same thing, if you really don't like it, disable skins, or turn on colorblind. If you haven't done that yet, there is probably not much reason to ban that color.
I use skins to easily identify who I'm playing with and against. I'd much rather keep my skins on and never have to play in a game with azure than the opposite.

Same with green. I don't like the effect of acid because I want to be able to quickly identify the players when using peripheral vision. It's not like I stare at my screen dumbfound the entire game, it's when I have to do split second decisions.

In the end, team colours isn't a game breaking thing. I see this much more of a guideline than a strict policy. If you're a map maker and you have to decide between two equally good colour sets, wouldn't you much rather pick the one that is less annoying to use from players pov?

-J
Old 04-01-2016, 11:38 AM

1 - Violet
2 - right now there is 16 players that has voted. i think more people should vote before we do any change
Old 04-02-2016, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX1 View Post
One of his biggest arguments was League of Legends, which has Blue vs Purple, and the hp shown is always green for your side and red for the opponent's side. There's no Red vs Blue in LoL. (Not saying his entire argument is invalid, but this part erks me.)
Old 04-04-2016, 01:07 AM

Looking at the poll, why do people hate pink (#1) and brown (tied #2) so much?

There is a plausible argument for green, but I don't think I've seen any gameplay arguments for pink, and no arguments whatsoever for brown.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Looking at the poll, why do people hate pink (#1) and brown (tied #2) so much?
I would view brights and neons as sub-par choices over solid deeper colors. Yellow is an exception to me, being one of the primary four player colors.